Police Chief Shoots Self at Gun Training Session

This is a discussion on Police Chief Shoots Self at Gun Training Session within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; RIVERDALE, Utah — The police chief in Riverdale accidentally shot himself in an ankle while demonstrating how to dislodge a jammed handgun. Chief Dave Hansen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Chief Shoots Self at Gun Training Session

Police Chief Shoots Self at Gun Training Session

RIVERDALE, Utah — The police chief in Riverdale accidentally shot himself in an ankle while demonstrating how to dislodge a jammed handgun.

Chief Dave Hansen was taken to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden for surgery.

The 54-year-old chief accidentally fired a gun during a training exercise inside a conference room at Riverdale police headquarters.

A fire captain and Riverdale Mayor Bruce Burrows confirmed the chief shot himself Saturday in an ankle bone. They said he was trying to fix a gun with a jammed round when the bullet fired.

Riverdale police officers carry .40-caliber pistols.

Hospital supervisor Rohn Larsen said Hansen was in stable condition Sunday. Larsen said he couldn't reveal which ankle — left or right — the chief shot.

A Weber County dispatcher said nobody from the Riverdale police department was available Sunday to release any information on the accident. A patrol officer on duty Sunday said he didn't know anything about it.

The chief's brother, a state lawmaker, said Hansen is a 23-year veteran and chief of the Riverdale police force since 2006.

Rep. Neil Hansen, D-Ogden, said he regularly goes target practicing with his brother and described him as safety-conscious.

"I've never seen him do anything reckless," Neil Hansen told the Standard-Examiner of Ogden.

OOPS. That's gotta suck.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

Did someone call law enforcement?? You know all gun show wounds are mandatory reporting.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I'm wondering where the handgun was "jammed that required enough force when renoving it the gun fired could this be one of those new anus concealment holsters.Or was the training session something like this now this is a glock 40 the only one smart enough in this room to handle this gun is me .....bang
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

i"m sorry, what are those FOUR RULES.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

You know that's really gotta hurt. The only thing I could think of being worse---if he got charged with discharging a firearm in a government building.

And these are the folks who pull me over with their hand on the gun

This is why I'm always so darned careful when on the range with numerous others (ie, in classes). I would much rather clear a simple jam or issue with a second pair of eyes watching, given the added stress of the situation.

When out by myself in my own IPSC-style bay, I'm all for running through rapid clearing drills ... but, not when lots of others are around and the impact of a bad move skyrockets so dramatically.

Of course, we all know the four basic rules. Of course, it's clear he didn't follow the main one, of keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. He could have blown all the others but kept that one, and the bullet would simply have gone downrange as it was supposed to. Unclear whether he had his finger near/on the trigger, though it's very unlikely to have fired otherwise.

Kind of sucks to be him, right now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like they need someone else doing the training.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    Or draw on your wife finger on the trigger because they see a gun in an open carry state.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Administrator
    You got stopped by this guy? Also, where do you want them to put their hand?
    "Just blame Sixto"

People are seldom made "chief" due to their superior gun handling ability. In fact, quite the opposite may be true......
    What Would Gumby Do?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    People are seldom made "chief" due to their superior gun handling ability. In fact, quite the opposite may be true......
    A very valid point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You got stopped by this guy? Also, where do you want them to put their hand?
    NO ,but I generalized cause all of the time I get pulled over by a leo they act like they pulled over 1 one on fbi most wanted .
    makes me really scared for my life to have some new leo scared off me with his hand on the gun with twichy nerves.

1943 - 2009
    NO ,but I generalized cause all of the time I get pulled over by a leo they act like they pulled over 1 one on fbi most wanted .
    makes me really scared for my life to have some new leo scared off me with his hand on the gun with twichy nerves.
    Then stop getting pulled over.

When an officer pulls you over, he doesn't know you from Adam. He has no way of knowing if you're a pillar of the community or some psycho who just murdered his whole family. He has every right to be cautious. That's how rookies become veterans.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yes, friend slow down a little. My brother in law who is a motorcycle cop has been on the force for 15 years and is always cautious. This is nothing against you personally, just the way leos are trained to handle traffic stops.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links