Just Got An Assignment To Osan AB, Korea

This is a discussion on Just Got An Assignment To Osan AB, Korea within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any military or former military ever been stationed in Korea? I just found out today that I will be PCSing there this summer. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Got An Assignment To Osan AB, Korea

Any military or former military ever been stationed in Korea? I just found out today that I will be PCSing there this summer. I am going to Osan AB. Any pointers or stories would be greatly appreciated. Also my wife just told me she wants a Glock19 because my 30 is too bulky for her...I love chicks that dig guns!

You number 10 GI

Buy me Coke, GI?
    Learn to be adventurous in dining. I love good Korean food. Just make sure when you dig into the kimchi, that all the guys you're living with eat it also, otherwise your breath will knock them into next week!
    Last edited by AZ Husker; May 8th, 2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Have been to Osan, Kunsan and Teagu. It's not as bad as you may hear. There will be some long hours in chem gear for exercises (especially if they're getting ready for an ORI). Try to plan some of the trips they offer (rod & reel factory, DMZ, Chejudo Island, etc.) and don't be a barracks rat. I think you'll find that you enjoy it.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Pohang South Korea in 1983 for team spirit. I love Korean food also. South Korea-----I think it's the coldest place on earth I've ever been.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Thanks for serving your country. My prayers for you and all the GI's.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

You'll have fun at Osan. I was farther north in 2002, about 25 miles south of the DMZ. Not so fun. Some things you should do while you're there:

- Get a suit or two made. You can get a tailor made suit for less than an off-the rack model here. They're not the best you'll ever see, but they're nice all the same.

- Visit Itaewon in Seoul. It's a long strip of stores and bars, they have so much different stuff it's unreal. Lots of it is counterfeit clothing, but it's still fun just to visit. You can get jewelry for your wife too.

- Don't pay full price for anything. Koreans will haggle over groceries. If you're the first one to go to a store for the day, they will practically give you whatever you want to buy. It's good luck for them to sell to the first customer of the day, so they'll fight to get you to buy something. I got a set of earrings for less than half the marked price that way. I didn't do it on purpose, the guy just wouldn't let me leave.

- Go hiking, the mountains are beautiful. I never made it as far south as Osan, but I'm sure there are some mountains and trails down that way.

- Visit the DMZ. I never did and I wish I had.

Best of luck to you. Thank you for your service.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Lead Moderator
    I haven't been there in a long time (1970's), but get out and see the Country, and take some time to enjoy the food! I stiil make trips to my local Korean Market, especially for "good" kimchi. (Which I have to eat when my wife's not home! )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for the advise guys. I am looking forward to go, it gets me out of deploying to Iraq again for the next year. Being away from my wife and kids is going to be tough, but at least I don't have to worry about mortars or Haji's...

VIP Member
    Although I was never in Korea, I learned early on in my AF career that each station is what you make of it. First thing to do is ignore the barracks rats who will tell you everything bad about the place, but have never set foot off base. If you don't already have one, get a good quality SLR camera, be it digital or 35mm film. In years to come you will be able to look at the pictures and remember the good times.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I was in Osan for about 3 weeks total in around 2006; was no longer in the military, but was on or near base.

Osan itself isn't much; typical military-focused bars and crap in the ville outside the gate. There's a nice network of trails in the hills to run/hike, though, and there's a bus to Yongsan (Seoul) very frequently. There's also a train station which is pretty easy to take once you figure it out, and it can get you other places.

Edit: There was an AMAZING Thai restaurant outside the gate (same street as the Crown Hotel, as I remember--it's up on the second floor). See if you can find it; if you're at the gate, it's at your 1-2 o'clock (intervening buildings notwithstanding).

The Korean (People's?) War Memorial in Seoul is pretty cool. Don't go into ANY Russian-owned bar in Seoul. They'll sell you reasonably-priced drinks, then you'll find out that the lemon slice or whatever just cost you $20...and they will extract payment from you one way or another.

The palaces in Seoul are pretty cool to see and sometimes have costumed historical military ceremonies. There's also the DMZ tour.

If you like mountain biking, Korea's supposed to be some of the best technical riding anywhere.

Do, repeat, DO, go to hike Seorak-San in the fall. It's simply astounding--an incredible, rugged mountain that goes pretty much from sea level to 1700m. It's got Buddhist monasteries and other historical stuff all around, and when the maples are red, it's amazing. I took the bus there and stayed in a crappy hostel when I wasn't on the mountain...if you have a car, that might work better--it's not a very friendly trip if you don't speak Korean, but that was part of the fun for me.

Also, I recommend hiking up one side and coming down on the other--the one with the traditional hot springs. Nothing cooler than hanging with naked Korean dudes in a mineral bath after a nice day's hike.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    Thanks for the advise guys. I am looking forward to go, it gets me out of deploying to Iraq again for the next year. Being away from my wife and kids is going to be tough, but at least I don't have to worry about mortars or Haji's...
    +1......THANKS from Flor-DUH for your service!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    You will enjoy it I promise Ive got family over there.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Stay out of the 'deep kimchee' while you're there...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links