"Bullets fly in I-95 chase"

This is a discussion on "Bullets fly in I-95 chase" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have it your way. Suspects caught after robbery, high-speed chase By BILL DiPAOLO Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Saturday, May 10, 2008 Three men are ...

Thread: "Bullets fly in I-95 chase"

"Bullets fly in I-95 chase"

Have it your way.

Suspects caught after robbery, high-speed chase

By BILL DiPAOLO

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Three men are in custody this morning after police said they robbed a Burger King at Southwest Eighth Street and Woolbright Road Friday night.

The suspects fired at police three times and single time at an unidentified motorist during the resulting chase. No injuries were reported.

The suspects entered the restaurant about 8:30 p.m. Friday wearing masks and gloves. They demanded employees get on the ground.

While one of the men put a gun to the head of the manager and demanded cash, the other two jumped over the counter. The three fled with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.

The three ran to a nearby Home Depot, and got into a waiting getaway car.

The suspects fired two shots at a nearby car, hitting neither the driver nor the car. Police do not know why shots were fired.

Boynton Beach police cruisers chased the suspects, in a silver Saturn, south on I-95.

The suspects fired at two Boynton Beach police cruisers during the chase.

Police said they did not return fire.

Florida Highway Patrol joined the chase around Glades Road.

The suspect's vehicle exited at Hillsboro Boulevard and the suspects fired at the FHP vehicle. The bullet went through the windshield and into the dashboard, police said.

Police arrested two of the suspects after they bailed out of their car at Southwest First Avenue and Southwest Second Court. A Boynton Beach police officer exchanged gunfire with one of the suspects, police said.

The third suspect was located about 1:30 a.m. this morning in a nearby shed by a K-9 unit, police said. The Broward Sheriff's Office also assisted.

The names of the suspects, and charges filed against them, were not available. Police expect to file armed robbery, aggravated assault and
    fleeing a police officer.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "The suspects entered the restaurant about 8:30 p.m. Friday wearing masks and gloves. They demanded employees get on the ground."

I wonder if they were Burger King masks??

The suspects fired two shots at a nearby car, hitting neither the driver nor the car.

The suspects fired at two Boynton Beach police cruisers during the chase.

The suspect's vehicle exited at Hillsboro Boulevard and the suspects fired at the FHP vehicle. The bullet went through the windshield and into the dashboard, police said.

Police expect to file armed robbery, aggravated assault and fleeing a police officer.
    I just don't understand why charges wouldn't include a count (possibly 3 counts) of attempted murder. Rack up as many charges as possible and throw scum like this in jail and throw away the key.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I just don't understand why charges wouldn't include a count (possibly 3 counts) of attempted murder. Rack up as many charges as possible and throw scum like this in jail and throw away the key.

Hoss
    +1000000
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I agree any time you intentionally fire a gun at somebody there is a presumption that you may kill them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Hoss
    Well, they didn't MEAN it. They were just shooting, ya know?
    yet?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

They are going to find out about Florida's "10-20-Life" program...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They are going to find out about Florida's "10-20-Life" program...
    Yep! And probably the Life part.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    "The suspects entered the restaurant about 8:30 p.m. Friday wearing masks and gloves. They demanded employees get on the ground."

I wonder if they were Burger King masks??
    they were probably ronald mcdonald masks

and *** would you rob a burger king?

Boy--I sure miss alot on the days I work. :(

Does anyone notice a trend here? It seems like a lot of these robbery type crimes involve 3 BGs. Best be prepared to face more than one attacker and prioritize your target list. I.e. take out the most imminent threat first.

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    Does anyone notice a trend here? It seems like a lot of these robbery type crimes involve 3 BGs. Best be prepared to face more than one attacker and prioritize your target list.
    Good observation, and good point.

It seems like the bad guys got shorted when it came to charges. Why didn't the LEOs charge them with attempted murder. I have seen this happen far too often. When a gun is used in the commission of a crime the bad guys should have another 25 to 30 years added on with no time off . These are the kind of thugs that need to be taken off the streets.

Police make TENATIVE charges. The prosecutor's office file the OFFICIAL charges later on. The tenative charges temporarily hold the bad guys in jail while the prosecutors draw up the official charges to have a judge sign in a court room. So no matter what the officers put down, the official charges will be different later on. So the officers know full well that these guys will probably be charged later on with attempted murder no matter what they put down on the list. It also sounds to me like the officers of that locale are giving the prosecutors "a little legal room to maneuver up or down" in front of the bad guys' attorney as they need to do from time to time. It's just semantics and maneuvering is all. In the end, the wash comes out the same.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Update - new charges filed!

Now that's better;

Robbery suspects face new charges, including attempted murder of law enforcement officer
    Attempted murder of law enforcement officer among counts

By Dianna Cahn | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

May 20, 2008

Boynton Beach police filed fresh charges Monday against three men suspected of holding up a Burger King and then firing shots at police during a high-speed Interstate 95 chase this month.

Reginald Robinson Jr., 20, Christopher Hicks, 18, and Robert Jackson Jr., 19, all of Pompano Beach, were charged Monday with attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, fleeing and eluding, robbery with a firearm and aggravated assault with a firearm.

Those charges follow similar charges filed by the Broward Sheriff's Office after the May 9 arrest, when the car chase ended in Deerfield Beach with an hourslong foot pursuit before the three were apprehended.

The incident began about 8:30 p.m. when three masked men in black walked into a Burger King on Southwest Eighth Street in Boynton Beach.

One pointed a gun at the heads of two managers and demanded money. Another held an employee at gunpoint while they complied, according to the Boynton Beach arrest report.

The fleeing gunmen fired at a car in the parking lot, where police recovered two 9mm Luger casings, the report said.

As they left the scene, Boynton Beach Police Officer Justin Harris spotted the car on Woolbright Road heading to I-95.

The car led Harris and a growing fleet of cruisers on a highway chase reaching 100 mph. One suspect fired about five shots at Harris' car and missed.

But the windshield of a Florida Highway Patrol vehicle that joined the chase was shattered as the car exited in Deerfield Beach, the report said.

There, the suspects' car broke down. They fled on foot, chased by Boynton Beach officers and Broward deputies.

Jackson, who was armed with "an unknown weapon," turned and faced Boynton Beach Sgt. Phil Hawkins, who fired several shots, the report said. Jackson got away but was later found hiding in a shed, shot in the leg.

The two others were in a nearby shed trying to hide the money, the report said. Hicks' identification, a 9mm gun and the dark masks and clothing were found in the car.

The three are at the Broward County Jail. Robinson and Jackson confessed to their roles, the report said. Robinson admitted firing at the officers and trooper.

Dianna Cahn can be reached at dcahn@sun-sentinel.com or 561-243-6645.
    Last edited by socuban; May 20th, 2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

Links