Homeland Security Check Point

This is a discussion on Homeland Security Check Point within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by flagflyfish She should have detained him for being evasive! As an added bonus they could tear his truck apart looking for contriband, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 85

Thread: Homeland Security Check Point

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    She should have detained him for being evasive! As an added bonus they could tear his truck apart looking for contriband, I mean torn it apart in peices!! Then told him to take his junk truck and scram. What a jerk!
    Interesting you say this, then have the signature that you do

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Ok... am I the only one here that see's this guy actaully standing up for his 4th and 5th Amendment rights? He has no duty to answer any police questions. It doesn't matter if he is innocent or guilty. If a cop asks me what I'm doing wrong I don't have to answer because I would waive my 5th Amendment rights by doing so. I would make it easy for them to prove my guilt.
    You are certainly free to obstruct the Border Patrol if you want to make their job even more difficult than it already is. However, they have a right to detain you until their reasonable suspicion is either confirmed or dispelled. No matter how long it takes. And they are the ones that make the determination whether they have reasonable suspicion.

    I suggest you cooperate with authorities. You will not enjoy the alternative.

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array SoFloAuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Western edge of Th' Everglades
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    The 'Border Patrol' was a little outside their jurisdiction...as in, not at the border. I thought it was funny. The agency was conducting a 'feel good' stop to help 'enforce' the law for 'immigration' but their agents knew they had no authority to do so...which is why she let him go through.

    You guys can applaud the police state however you want. I think I might start carrying a video camera in my front seat.

    She didn't have the authority to stop him, she didn't have the authority to arrest him, she didn't have the authority to 'detain him'. In fact, she had no idea what she was doing.

    I would hate to see what would happen if a hardened criminal came through that check point. Ms. Border Patrol would have ended up dead.
    Uhhhh, I dunno where you went to skool but.....you're wrong and in my state, he'd have been running his mouth from the backseat of a patrol car....

    Whether you agree with the law or not....LEO can stop you anywhere and ask for ID...to that you must comply...you may not impede an investigation (questions)...you do not have to submit to a search without probable cause....oh, and here's an FYI: If you're cuffed and carted....you might beat the rap...but you won't beat the ride through the courts

    You're correct, the CBP officer in the video was inexperienced.

    If you go this knucklehead's webpage, you will see he does this sort of thing all the time...in one video, the CBP is taking pictures of him, waving to the camera and calling him by name. He's a known entity.

    There's a definate difference in mentality the further inland from the coast lines you go...I guess the sea breeze is good for us.

    Carry smart, be safe

  5. #19
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,423
    What's the guys idea? He is obstructive, evasive, obnoxious and just an overall PITA! Does he think he is he the second coming of Michael Moore?

    Why go around inviting this kind of response? Does he have an inferiority complex? Does he believe he is Sinclair Lewis?

    Come on...he is not! He is a jerk, running around with a camera being a self-righteous crusader.

    Do I care about his pompous attitude? No!

    Do I answer LEO's questions? Yes! Am I evasive and contrary? No! I just want to go my way with the minimum of hassle. I have nothing to hide, and I suggest that "standing up for one's rights" when there is nothing to gain, or lose, is a akin to being disruptive while under IRS exam..........there's nothing but downside.

  6. #20
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,657
    It is my understanding, which means I could well be wrong, that there is a set number of miles from the border beyond which they can not set up checkpoints. I had heard that was 50 miles, but don't really know if this is true or not.

    Checkpoints miles from the border are in my opinion too intrusive for ordinary motorists to be subject to. I don't like them at all (the checkpoints). I think they are fundamentally wrong, and Constitutionally questionable, even if the not so conservative "conservatives" on the bench think it is OK to let police power permeate our society.

    However, we must be pragmatic. We have a heck of an illegal migration and drug or people smuggling problem, and these types of checkpoints might slow it down just a tad.

    So we get to choose. A little too much police authority, or a little more additional illegal migration.

    I don't like the choices.

  7. #21
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I suggest you cooperate with authorities. You will not enjoy the alternative.
    That sounds Orwellian. "You must comply or face the charges" If I am doing nothing wrong, and I know I'm doing nothing wrong, I will not concent to a search of my vehicle, nor answer any questions to that effect. Read this post in my blog, it will clear up how I think and why I say I wouldn't concent to a search even if I was innocent. I really don't feel like typing it all up again.

    Link

    Also if you have 20 or so minutes watch this siminar about the 4th and 5th Amendment. This issue goes deeper then "Well I have nothing to hide, i'll just give in"

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Um, no.

    The Border Patrol has federal jurisdiction throughout the country.

    They are not "out of their jurisdiction" because they are x feet from the border.

    The guy was just a rude, arrogant tool.

    Matt
    Didn't mean jurisdiction in the legal sense...you may be right in that they have federal jurisdiction.

    The Border Patrol agent was an idiot. She had no idea of her authority. I am against illegal immigration as much as the next guy, but I am VERY much against road side 'checkpoints'.

    I've seen a lot of countries with roadside 'checkpoints' and none of them were places I would want to live in.

    Go ahead...applaud the police state that we are coming to, but when it comes don't expect people like the guy in the video to stand up for you, because he'll be among the first in prison.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array maclean3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,085
    Oh I think "tool" is putting it mildly.
    Jack

  10. #24
    Member Array Arisin Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    450
    "Papers please."

  11. #25
    bae
    bae is offline
    Member Array bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Juan Islands
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    The Border Patrol agent was an idiot. She had no idea of her authority.
    You mean her authority under USC§1357 and USC §1225?

  12. #26
    Ex Member Array SoFloAuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Western edge of Th' Everglades
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    You mean her authority under USC§1357 and USC §1225?
    Don't confuse the flag waving, rights protecting constitutionalists on this site with FACTS....some of the responses to this have been surprising. (24 states have "must produce" ID laws in the USA)

    If you're gonna carry in your state or any other, know the laws (not just the CW laws either)....as Lt. Col Grossman sez in the video I posted in another thread....get range time, study laws, be proactive....

    You open your mouth at the wrong time or wrong place, carrying a firearm and you may find yourself in cuffs and losing your favorite shooter (and the right to carry another)....it'll be an expensive course in law and the legal system, and you'll get no degree in the end.

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Interesting you say this, then have the signature that you do
    The guy had the liberty to answer the question or not, all he had to do was state where he was a citizen of and drive away. Instead he decided to act like a jerk. Personally, I would have answered the question and gone about my business, probably forgetting about the whole thing within minutes.Ya gotta pick your battles.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

    -- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

  14. #28
    Member Array Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Bern, NC
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    The guy had the liberty to answer the question or not, all he had to do was state where he was a citizen of and drive away. Instead he decided to act like a jerk. Personally, I would have answered the question and gone about my business, probably forgetting about the whole thing within minutes.Ya gotta pick your battles.
    +1

    Stunts like this really boil my blood. Was there any reason he was doing this other than to be a jerk?
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 11th, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

  15. #29
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Go ahead...applaud the police state that we are coming to, but when it comes don't expect people like the guy in the video to stand up for you, because he'll be among the first in prison.
    Sorry, but this comment doesn't connect with reality.

    The guy in the video isn't some noble crusader for my rights or your rights. As mentioned above, he seeks out these confrontations and videotapes them for his website.

    Taking notice of this fact is not "applauding the police state", if such a thing actually exists.

    If his behavior on the video is an indication of how he conducts himself daily, then you are correct that he will likely end up in jail soon. That won't be the result of a "police state", but rather a result of his desire for confrontation and escalation.

    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  16. #30
    Senior Member Array Vaquero 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    882
    I'm an LEO, and I don't like these checkpoints. I don't see what purpose a DHS checkpoint 50 miles from the border serves. There can be no reasonable suspicion inferred from the simple fact that a person is driving on a public highway within 50 miles of the border. The only place that it should be reasonable to stop everybody is AT the border, to control entry. I don't stop motorists unless I have a reasonable suspicion that they have violated a law or ordinance, and that's the way it should be. Outside of emergency exigent circumstances, I don't see a need or justification for random stops.

    However, I do find our video camera toting friend to be quite the obnoxious jerk. I can't imagine the founding fathers engaging in such childish behavior. Whether he's right or wrong, I think there are better ways to address constitutional issues than going around sticking a video camera in peoples' faces and provoking confrontations. Nobody likes a jerk.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 11th, 2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Deleted 2 language workarounds.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Playmobile Security Check Point
    By njr in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
  2. Homeland security needs?
    By HollowpointHank in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: July 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
  3. Homeland security discount
    By DetroitMedic in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
  4. Homeland Security to watch web use
    By 4my sons in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM

Search tags for this page

any way to avoid the check point on i 10 near el paso

,

defensive carry smugglers coyotes

,
homeland security check police dispatch
,
refuse dhs checkpoint questions
,
what is the easiest check point in texas
Click on a term to search for related topics.