New York Cops - Gun Cams

New York Cops - Gun Cams

This is a discussion on New York Cops - Gun Cams within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Link to Article New gun-mounted audio/video technology could enhance police, public safety, says lawmaker NEW YORK - State Senator Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) Monday announced his ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Cops - Gun Cams

New York Cops - Gun Cams

Link to Article

New gun-mounted audio/video technology could enhance police, public safety, says lawmaker

NEW YORK - State Senator Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) Monday announced his support for a pilot program of the Integrated Video Documentation Targeting Technology known as PistolCam. Deputy Secretary for Public Safety Michael Balboni, the Senate Democratic Conference, and members of the Black, Puerto Rican, Asian, and Hispanic Caucus are scheduled to attend a series of demonstrations of the new technology.

PistolCam's patented technology includes a high-tech innovation that mounts a small camera on the barrel of any 9mm weapon to automatically provide video/audio documentation each time the weapon is drawn from its holster. The small device will store up to 60 minutes of audio and video images.

Discrepancies in testimony during the recent Sean Bell trial underline the need for an objective chronicle of any episode involving the discharge of a firearm by law enforcement personnel, said Adams. Although the video technology cannot capture the often-critical events that transpire before an officer draws his gun, a camera installed on the weapon can provide crucial assistance in clarifying important parts of the sequence of events in a shooting.

"This device has the potential to be a signature product for law enforcement," said Adams, who retired from the New York Police Department after a 22-year career.

All videos and pictures are stored in high capacity memory and available for download via USB cable to any PC or laptop. There is also a safety feature that requires a special security code to download the audio and visual images.

Adams, who is also the co-founder of the organization 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care, acknowledged that he expects "positive results and enthusiasm" from the municipality that piloted the PistolCam product in New York State.

"There is no question that this is cutting edge technology, and New York City should commence a pilot program in which officers use it in training situations so that we can determine the extent to which it improves their effectiveness," Adams said. "In addition, if we provided a clearer picture of what officers encounter after they remove their guns from the holster, it would serve as an invaluable training tool and significantly increase public safety."

This was on the radio this morning. The cam also has a Laser and Light.

These cams cost about $600 to $700 each.

State Senator Eric Adams used to be a cop.

It looks like this is a response to the Sean Bell shooting.

For further reading go to Google and query "NY gun camera" - minus the quotes.

The problems that I see with this are that the gun will be pointed down most of the time, it will only show what is directly infront of the gun and not the peripherals, sometimes there is a need for LEOs to be quiet and dark and hidden, a laser and light will be a give away to ones location if he or she is hiding.

Personally (I am not an LEO), this provides ground for some awfully slippery slopes concerning the cops decision making ability and analyzing their actions (Monday Morning QB) and this is a waste of tax payers money for a feel good initiative that will not succeed.

What other potential problems do you all see with this? What do you like about it? Am I off base in my views? LEOs please chime in.

Here is a slightly better article with a video: News 10 Now | 24 Hour Local News | ALL NEWS | New gun cam technology

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am glad I retired.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Bad idea! The extra fraction of a second that the officer thinks "What will this look like on the camera?" will get good officers killed.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Only one problem i see is that until you draw you're weapon there is no video so nobody sees what led up to you having to draw you're weapon,I see more dead cops because they hesitate that fraction of a second more and the BG gets off the first shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I remember they were talking about this a few years ago. The idea was shelved due to technology problems and resistance from the pba. This is a ridiculous idea. In the prison our admin people tried to use the cameras to "second guess" use of force incidents we get involved in. Never a good idea. They eventually stopped using the recordings when assessing the reports. Things in real life look a lot different as they are happening, then they do on film an hour later.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Hummmmm interesting.

I've also heard that sometimes hanging either a light or something heavier off the end of a pistol( expecially a lighter framed plastic pistol) can possible comprimise the reliability of the gun working properly IIRC Glocks due to the frame flexing when shot sometimes experienced issues with proper cycling of the gun.

If this is true why would you want to compromise officer's safety just so you can have a kill cam on the street. I guess the words NY's finest doesn't mean anything to the judicial system anymore. If I were on that department I would seriously wonder why they want these other then to question all Officers integrity.

Heres another question if your an officer can you refuse to have oone mounted on your gun?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'm guessing that the holster manufacturers will be gearing up for the new gear. Could you imagine? The gun cam----what next?

Let the Monday morning quarterbacking begin!!

Why would any police officer NOT want this???? It would PROVE that the police are never WRONG.

The absolute best way to sell any product is to 'make' your own market. If I made some product and could get the gov't to mandate it, I would be ecstatic.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Would police be able to strike this plan?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Bad idea! The extra fraction of a second that the officer thinks "What will this look like on the camera?" will get good officers killed.
    Agreed. I cannot imagine that this will ever be passed into law...but I have been surprised before.

If this extra weight could cause failures, then it would be obviously unacceptable; I don't know if it would, but i'm sure it can be tested. Besides that and the price to the tax payers, I don't really see the problem with having a video recorded whenever an officer draws their weapon. Besides the accountability factor, it might actually help LEO's prove their innocence, if actually innocent. They already have recorders in their cars, is it really that big of a difference?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born2die View Post
    They already have recorders in their cars, is it really that big of a difference?
    In terms of what it records, probably not. But I would never want one of those things on the muzzle of my firearm. OMO, YMMV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links