Marines - I need your help - Page 10

Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe in the meantime you can have one of those offices mail you the Officer Of Marines booklet, a large booklet that outlines everything. Someone ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Marines - I need your help

Maybe in the meantime you can have one of those offices mail you the Officer Of Marines booklet, a large booklet that outlines everything. Someone somewhere can put it in the mail to you, I would think, no matter what office you contact. That might help a little bit, so you and your son can sit down and have something to read re the Marine Corps while you are making plans to visit an office somewhere.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Sure the recruiter will give a recruiting spiel, but its my experience that most of them want to do what is best for the kid, so if you explain that you are interested in one of those programs, they can find a way to arrange meetings more locally and such.

And based on my experience as a canvassing Recruiter (successful tour, RS Recruiter of the year), you have recruiters that only care about the numbers, I was not one of those, I took over an area covered by one of those recruiters and had my work cut out, I had schools I could not get access to when I started, I turned those around and had schools calling me with referrals by the time I left. I helped a lot of young men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I haven't seen a need to be insulted by anything you have said Ma'am, I think you are ok.

Cover block I have not a clue about Ma'am
    As an enlisted Marine who left AD as a sergeant, I haven't been insulted by anything either.

Buckeye, with your entry date you stated earlier, you wouldn't know about cover blocks as you came in after the MARPAT uniform was adopted. Cover blocks were used mostly on the woodland unstitched covers for shape. I baked most of my covers during my AD time. Starch is not used on MARPAT uniforms because starch increases the visibility of the uniform as viewed through nightvision, IIRC. I left AD in 2003 and only had one set of MARPAT.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

WHY do you people insist on making guys like me feel old? MARPAT? I never heard of MARPAT til last night here on the forums. I was in 1963-67.
    Oh, does time fly............
    We had cover blocks, though, would put the utility cap on them and tighten them up and spray starch them, take them out, great looking cover (hat to civilians).
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Well dcb, if it makes you feel better I'd rather have M-14's and 1911's than m16A4's and M-9's. Although we do have lasers and optics on our rifles, and wear body armor, and have night vision, but we still have bayonets, you remember what a bayonet is, right? That wasn't after your time?

Yup, no starching the MARPAT, stuff really works well though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Why did I think you were lurking just around the corner waiting to jump in????
    M14s, yes. M-16s were coming into vogue when I got out so I never saw one or held one. We did not have lasers or body armor or night vision but we did have bayonets.....Many of us fought the Indian Wars quite effectively with bayonets.

Here is something you will not believe. In those days Advanced Infantry Training was NOT part of the deal at Parris Island. We went straight up to NC on a bus, for six weeks of ITR school at Camp Geiger, part of Lejeune, and they gave us M-1s there as opposed to the M-14s at PI. I could not believe how old the M-1s already were when we were issued them at Geiger in March of 1964. We thought it was unusual even then.

Actually AIT is no longer a part of boot. You have A-line BWT week, which does like a couple ranges, and then a little camp out, and the 3 day crucible, thats about all the combat training you get there.

All East coasters are then sent home for a week, then to Geiger. Non infantry does 3 weeks of Marine Combat Training, while Infantry does like 60 days of Infantry Training Battalion training.

But I digress, we wouldn't want to stray this nice ladies thread too far off topic.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Here is something you will not believe. In those days Advanced Infantry Training was NOT part of the deal at Parris Island. We went straight up to NC on a bus, for six weeks of ITR school at Camp Geiger, part of Lejeune, and they gave us M-1s there as opposed to the M-14s at PI. I could not believe how old the M-1s already were when we were issued them at Geiger in March of 1964. We thought it was unusual even then.
    We still go from PI to Lejeune/Geiger/Johnson for grunt school. We just get 10 days leave between Boot and SOI now.

Check out MARPAT (click here) if you like.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Well, her son can talk about this stuff when he gets in and his DIs will look at him and make him guidon.

I mean the unbelievable part is issuing us the M-1s, which were quite old when we got them. We had expected to get M-14s like at PI.
    Maybe we we should start a new thread, as Buckeyelcpl says, so as to keep this general USMC talk going now and then but not interfere with the OP???

Let me just go start one called "USMC Days" and leave it there and we can jump in anytime?

Speaking of camo, this is the best, for when the boatswain's mates want to hide from Chief because it's time to scrape paint again.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Well, her son can talk about this stuff when he gets in and his DIs will look at him and make him guidon.

Okay, I'll bite... what is guidon??
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Little flag on a stick. Also the Marine who carries it in front of the platoon (in boot) or company (in the fleet). A position of honor and increased responsibility.

Edit: say it "guide-on." It's a corruption of French, like many military terms.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links