Marines - I need your help - Page 11

Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thank you AgentX! So how do you know if your recruiter is a good one, or just another salesman??...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Marines - I need your help

Thank you AgentX!

So how do you know if your recruiter is a good one, or just another salesman??
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    Thank you AgentX!

So how do you know if your recruiter is a good one, or just another salesman??
    They are all salesman, and they are all very, very good at their job. Recruiters are different than any other MOS.

At least for the USN. Recruiters serve 36 consecutive 1 month billets. That means if they aren't reaching their quota...well, no more billet. Shore duty is over.

Recruiters also have some of the finest 'Sales' training the Gov't has to offer. I will not say all gov't training is good, or that all people who graduate that training are even trained, but recruiter training seems to be among the few that are truly top-notch.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by AZUSMC22 View Post
    And based on my experience as a canvassing Recruiter (successful tour, RS Recruiter of the year), you have recruiters that only care about the numbers, I was not one of those, I took over an area covered by one of those recruiters and had my work cut out, I had schools I could not get access to when I started, I turned those around and had schools calling me with referrals by the time I left. I helped a lot of young men and women.
    So how do I find a recruiter like you?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

So how do I find a recruiter like you?
    You will find a recruiter like him when you find a recruiter that will tell you everything he promises/offers will be in writing.

Part of the paperwork that a recruit signs is an acknowledgment that no verbal promises were made or binding, and that he understands that the contract before him is all inclusive.

"But, my recruiter said..." is one of the funniest 'jokes' in the service.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Recruiters have a job to do, get people in, and if they fail to do this, their bosses are not happy, like any "sales" job. Their job is definitely defiinitely NOT to discourage any would-be enlistee or officer.
    That does not mean they are evil or dishonest. It means their job is to get people into the Marine Corps, not out of it.
    As long as you know what their OWN MOS entails, you will be fine. Nine tenths are fine upstanding citizens. Just because their job is recruiting does not and should not give them a bad name. They are honest and scrupulous.
    What I am saying is that their job is not to discourage applicants. So you have to keep that one thing in mind.
    A travel guide in the Greek National Travel Board is not going to mention to you unless you ask, that oh don't come to Greece, they have this or that problem in Athens! Same type of thing. They will not lie to you, but they are not duty-bound to mention to you all the things that may show you that it is unsuitable for you personally to join. Actually, only the potential Marine knows that.
    The great thing about them is that they all care deeply about the Corps, and if you are Marine Corps material, they have "waivers" at their disposal, and they know how to use them, supposing you have some disqualifying condition, IF it can be ignored by the USMC, they will try to see that that is done.
    I don't want to give the wrong impression of recruiters. Just keep in mind that their job is not to say ahhh you don't want to be part of our Corps :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Little flag on a stick. Also the Marine who carries it in front of the platoon (in boot) or company (in the fleet). A position of honor and increased responsibility.

Edit: say it "guide-on." It's a corruption of French, like many military terms.
    Since I can't edit, I feel the need to post again to point out that the Marine who carries a guidon is technically the "guide;" only the flag and staff itself are the "guidon."

Agent x is correct. Guide is the person, guidon is the stick with the flag....
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

When you all enlisted, did you go by yourselves, with friend(s), family member? Do you wish you had done it differently? When I was in High school, the recruiters used to come to our school and actually give the ASVAB(maybe a shortened version?), but they don't seem to do that anymore...

I was 16 when I signed up, so I needed my mother's signature, then when I turned 17 I was in, down at Parris Island two weeks after turning 17.
    I went by myself to the swearing in etc at the recruiter's.
    Did it all on my own. No regrets at all.

First time I saw a recruiter I was 17 and there to decide between ROTC and enlisting, my dad went with me for that. That meeting went ok I guess. During my senior year of college I contacted the Major in charge of Marine NROTC, who had been in charge while I was there and remembered me, who graciously took the time to sit down with me and go over my options, he then went another extra mile and found me the best recruiter in the Columbus area. From then on it was all on my own. I just called the parents one night and told them I enlisted, about two weeks later at dinner broke the news to my Ma that it was in the infantry, but she already knew that without me telling her.

They still go to some high schools, but not all of them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Sir, discipline is the instant willing obedience to all orders, respect for authority and self-reliance, sir!!!

Sir, the purpose of the marine rifle team is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuvers or to repel the enemies assault by fire and close combat, sir!!!

OK, my reminiscing is over.

If he goes, tell him to do as he's told and don't take anything personally (don't fall into the head games).

Also, do not sign open-contract. When I was in, everyone who signed open contract got either infantry or cook, mostly infantry. Get him to take his aptitude test. If he is as smart as you say, they will probably try to push him into something like avionics or aviation repair. Get an enlistment contract.

He can also do PLC in summers between school. Also, as said before he can do the navy route.

Keep in mind when getting an enlistment contract, make sure that the recruiter has every single document when your son goes to MEPS, I had an enlistment contract and my recruiter didn't get the required doccuments turned in and I luckily found this out when i filled out my thirty day pre ship papers I was about to go in with an open contract because of mis-filed documents. The contract would not be changed and I had no other option but to issue a letter of seperation to my recruiter. just something to consider.

J man-
    What papers does he need to account for besides the written, signed contract?

2AM - Here's the most important one of all: DD FORM 4

If any promisses made ain't written on part "B" (agreements), sub part "b" (remarks), they aren't valid. So if your son gets, for example, the Marine Corps college fund promissed to him, and there ain't no mention of that anywhere on that form, he ain't getting it. Agreements can be abreviated, if I'm not mistaken, to take the same example, MCCF31 was the code used while I enlisted. Also, entitlements that servicemembers get while in AD (life insurance, medical, etc) don't need to be written down.

On another subject, have your son work towards a terrific SAT/ACT if he wants a good shot at commisioning programs.

J man-
    What papers does he need to account for besides the written, signed contract?
    When I talked to the recruiter, we came upon the agreement of three things for my contract, the first was the ship date, the second was my mos, and the third was E2 status going into boot camp due to my college credits, while at MEPS, after i was fingerprinted and the leason was going over my contract with me he told me that the required documents needed to give me the three things agreed upon were not present in my packet and my recruiter would need to get these submitted before i would be getting the agreed terms, an offical college transcript would need to be submitted which i turned in to my recruiter, the ship date was doccumented wrong on my contract and this is what did not garentee my MOS, so to garentee my MOS he would need to submit a form changing my ship date in my contract. independant checking upon my part with the area recurit HQ and with the leason at MEPS I found out that these documents were not received. I hope this answered your questions.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links