Marines - I need your help - Page 5

Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found one in Denver also, which will be closer... Ok, so I have no idea what it takes if he wants to enlist, then ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines - I need your help

I found one in Denver also, which will be closer...

Ok, so I have no idea what it takes if he wants to enlist, then become an officer - so he can FULLY understand what the guys he leads have been through... any thoughts on this??
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

If his goal is to become an officer, I think he should look into doing that from the outset.

If he wants to be enlisted, he should enlist.

Many of the best officers I knew were prior enlisted. Some of the absolute worst were prior enlisted, as well. The enlisted experience can certainly be valuable, but won't change who your son is or necessarily who he'll grow to be. The fact that your son will be a Marine either way will mean he'll have plenty of common with his enlisted men, and a great relationship if he makes the right choices as a leader.

Getting into officer training isn't easy, and your son will be best served focusing on his ultimate goal. He has options now that he wouldn't have as an enlisted man, or at least wouldn't have as ready access to. That said, being enlisted does open up a few opportunities he doesn't have now--but I think those are even harder to get than enrolling in NROTC...

There's also a hybrid possibility of being a drilling enlisted reservist while going through NROTC, but in today's deployment environment, I don't know how well that'd work out.

AgentX, I hit the post button just as you did......Your advice is right on the money---Once he enlists, he will not find it easy to become an officer at that point. There are ways but it is not easy and not guaranteed at all.
    Officer training provides him with a full understanding of what the guys he leads have been through. The instructors at OCS are enlisted Marines! They will tell him what is what.
    Officers are usually more effective if they had prior enlisted service. But one does not have to be enlisted first in order to fully appreciate what an officer's job is, by no means.
    It is very tough to go from enlisted to officer while still in the military.
    They do have programs but they are not that simple.
    If it were not for his GPA I would have no trouble recommending that he enlist. But because of that GPA he should head to college and if he goes into ROTC then on the day of college graduation he not only gets his degree but he gets his commission at the same time. So he graduates college and becomes a Second Lieutenant on the same day if he chooses ROTC. It is my understanding that ROTC accounts for most of the officer corps.
    The other route is the PLC.
    OCS is the other way, starting training after college graduation.
    He should speak to Officer Selection Office recruiters and also the enlisted side of it, which is always a different recruiter. The two recruiting offices are completely separate, because they deal with different aspects of the Marine Corps.
    The one in Denver is fine, I just meant that the websites for Chicago and Texas are what first came up on Google. Any Officer Selection Office will be fine. They can give him a booklet called An Officer of Marines.
    Last edited by dcb188; May 17th, 2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: addition
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post

There's also a hybrid possibility of being a drilling enlisted reservist while going through NROTC, but in today's deployment environment, I don't know how well that'd work out.
    Most of the guys I know who went this route or are doing it now are in PLC as opposed to NROTC, if he is in NROTC I believe that makes them non-deployable, have to check up on that though.

It definitely can drag out college though, I know guys who did 2 deployments while trying to get a year degree, making it a 6 year degree.

The biggest hurdle to being an officer seems to be getting the degree, so to go enlisted then officer he would need to have a degree before enlisting (not necessarily something I would recommend), or get one of the highly competitive slots for MECEP, or a similar program.

The Naval academy is another route to look into.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Isn't it true that once enlisted, it would be tough to then become an officer? Compared to just becoming an officer in the first place?
    That is because they don't let you just switch over, even if you do have the degree.
    Naval Academy IS a great idea. Marine Corps commissions as well as Naval commissions. Quite an honor to attend that school, in my opinion. Or any academy on that level.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

DCB, if you have a degree and are enlisted, it's not an automatic switch, you still do OCS and TBS and have to graduate both, but it's doable.

My PLT commander has gone over with me several times what I would need to do to make the switch, but I could do it during my enlistment if I chose to do so.

Just a lot of paperwork in the way, as there is with anything in the Marines.

However if he wants to be an officer, the direct approach is probably the best one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The Naval academy is another route to look into.
    If you want to skip OCS and get a pretty ring, too...

I know it's not an automatic switch. What I meant was that they will not even let you do it without a big big hassle. And there is no guarantee, in that you don't have a right to switch from enlisted to officer just because you do have a degree.
    It is a real pain in the neck way to become an officer, when all he has to do is just go in as an officer. Much easier. I think his mom was asking if it is a better route to go enlisted first, so you can see who you are leading and what they themselves have gone thru at boot camp. But that is a very unpredictable way to do it and is an uphill battle to go from enlisted to officer that way, after you are already a service member. And as buckeyelcpl said, he would still have to do OCS and The Basic School.
    And agentx is right about the ring, too :)

If you enlist first, you throw even more red tape into the process, and are subject to the personal whims of people who may or may not be supportive of your efforts. These people have a LOT more control and influence over you and your choices than anyone would when you're a civilian.

Again, plenty of people do it, but if he's already got the goal of being an officer, he should move that way first.

I looked at the Naval Academy website - WOW! It looks incredible, but it looks difficult to get into - ~12,000-15,000 apply but only 1200-1400 get in! Sheesh! that's tough!

What exactly is the relationship between the Navy and the Marines? I know the Marines are a branch of the Navy, but it still confuses me...

My son has a HUGE heart, very loyal, very respectful, well disciplined(I'm not sure where he came up with that one... ) and would be a tough but compassionate leader. I fully expect that he will do the college thing, just not sure on the NROTC/ROTC, PLC, or OCS.

Does he have to enroll in NROTC or will ROTC work also? There is only one school listed that has NROTC in our state, but I haven't checked for ROTC because I didn't know if he could enroll in that and still go Marine - I always thought ROTC was purely an Army thing...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

The Marines are currently trying to fill a whole lot of manpower slots since we are expanding, from what I have been told its not necessarily that big of a hassle. They need qualified officer candidates, and if you happen to look like one and you are enlisted they will try to push a package through for you. Still not guaranteed however. I did mention that I don't really recommend getting you degree and then enlisting.

If he gets into a school with a NROTC program (not nearly as many as the Air Force and Army have), with a scholarship, that would probably be the way to go.

Those rings are pretty.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I had no idea it was not a big deal switching over. Thank you. Of course, I was in just after Lincoln was assassinated, so things have changed.

NROTC. ROTC is the Army. Edit: NROTC=NavAL ROTC, not NavY ROTC--includes both naval services.

The Department of the Navy consists of two (co-equal) branches of the US military, the Navy and the Marine Corps.

The Navy provides all the medical support for the Marines, and there are Navy medical personnel integrated with most Marine units.

ROTC is for the Army or Air force.

NROTC is Navy and Marines, just like there is no Marine service academy, they go to Annapolis. It's Navy run, with Marines being a minority in the programs.

It has to be through a Naval ROTC program to go Marines.

The Navy provides all the medical support for the Marines, and there are Navy medical personnel integrated with most Marine units.
    Universally known as "doc", some of the greatest people in the world, no lie. Nobody says anything bad about a doc if their are jarheads around, and if they do, they will wish they hadn't.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The Navy takes us where we want to go and that is it. Just kidding. There is intense rivalry and a lot of kidding between sailors and Marines.
    The Marine Corps is part of the DEPARTMENT of the Navy, not part of the Navy itself, and is there because of its unique capabilities in the area of amphibious landings. Sort of a sea-going combat person. I was on Navy bases for 2 1/2 out of my four years in the Marine Corps.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links