Marines - I need your help - Page 7

Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just know that if he gets the NROTC scholarship before he graduates high school, enlistment will not be an option while under that scholarship. Can ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Marines - I need your help

Just know that if he gets the NROTC scholarship before he graduates high school, enlistment will not be an option while under that scholarship.

Can you explain this some more? Does it still qualify him for officer school?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Ok, technically an officer is not enlisted, so if he applies for a NROTC scholarship and gets it, that is the path he will be on, to be an officer, go to OCS and all that stuff.

However while he is under scholarship he can not enlist to be AD or reserves or anything like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

any idea how hard the NROTC scholarships are to get? Could he go to any of the 130 colleges?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

The 4-year scholarships are very competitive. The application process is slightly less cumbersome than the academy's, however, as I don't recall needing the congressional nomination. Still, there are also the 3-year and 2-year scholarship options.

He can attend any university which accepts him and which has an NROTC unit (or is part of a "cross-town" situation where nearby universities basically share a unit, typically based at the larger of the schools.)

Schools like to accept students with NROTC scholarships, as it means cash up front for tuition without the necessity for large amounts of financial aid.

The scholarships are competitive but not impossible. Starting to apply for one early is a good idea, like the summer before senior year. There are also 2 or 3 year scholarships. A good gpa, clean criminal record, good physical fitness all help.

No congressional nomination for NROTC.

If you don't have a scholarship by the end of sophomore year you need to get advanced standing, you don't get the money of a scholarship, but you still get your commission.

Boards meet and review your package for advanced standing, once again, being good at all the things above help with that too.

Just a basis for you, a perfect Marine pft is a score of 300, which means a 3 mile run in 18 minutes or under, 20 pull ups, and 100 crunches in 2 minutes or less.

EDIT, while not service academies, schools like VMI and the Citadel are also an option.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

As a reference, most NROTC Marine Option scholarship holders I knew had high 3.7+ HS GPAs, were active in at least 2 or more sports, probably with a leadership role, worked in student government or other school leadership activities, may have been volunteers on the side, Eagle Scouts, etc. They were generally running the PFT in under 20 minutes, and doing 15-20 pull-ups and 100 crunches.

The pull-ups are really the key to getting a good score on the test--the run only loses you 6 points per minute over 18, and the crunches are easy--but the pull-ups are worth 5 each! Training to do 20 is a great way to up your competitiveness...and it's easier for most people to do 1-2 more pullups than it is to cut your run time by 1-2 minutes.

We could really use the 4 year scholarship, but his credentials are a little different... no Eagle scout, no sporting extra-curricular activities... He is a 4.0 honors student who is an IT intern for the school district after school, he is a servant at our church, and a leader in the youth group, he is graduating a year early, and works physical labor during the summers.

I don't think getting the congressional nomination would be a problem for the Naval Academy...

The main thing they want to see on packages is that the individual is well rounded and able to do a variety of things, and that they are good at all of them.

They don't want a braniac who never does anything outside of study, or a jock who excels on the field but sucks at school, a well balanced individual.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I recently remembered something. Midshipmen at the Naval Academy compete to become Marine officers. There is a really good chance that he would end up a Sailor officer instead and will not find out until late. This is not the case with NROTC.

The service academies consist mostly of class presidents and varsity team captains.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I think most of the Mids who want to become Marines get to do it, but yeah, that is an issue.

2AM, the sports thing was just a typical Mid. There's no requirement--it's just the usual way that people show their ability to succeed in a competitive, physical environment. It's different to not be a sports team captain or whatever, but it's by no means a requirement to be one, especially if you're showing the right characteristics in other ways.

He does enjoy sports, some track and field stuff, basketball, golf, target shooting, but it was never a "priority"...

hmmmm compete to become a Marine, any more info on this?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    AgentX, I hit the post button just as you did......Your advice is right on the money---Once he enlists, he will not find it easy to become an officer at that point. There are ways but it is not easy and not guaranteed at all.
    Right on.

Even if he qualifies, they are likely to delay offering the slot until very near the end of his original enlistment.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Some FYI links:

United States Marine Corps Commissioning Programs (description of some commisioning programs)

Commissioning programs: Marine Corps - Military Careers, commissioning programs - Marine Corps Times (description of some commisioning programs)

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/ (NROTC - look for Marine option on left side)

Marine Corps Commissioned Officer Jobs - Main Menu (Marine Officer jobs)

Home (link to an OSO on California)

Marine Corps Officer Selection Station Chicago (link to an OSO on Chicago)

The Marine Corps | US Marine Corps (princeton review on Marines)

Thank you for the links.

I have been to many already...so much information, it's scary

YOU might end up joining, at this rate!
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links