Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Unfortunately I do not meet the height/weight requirements, and I am too old... but I shall live vicariously through my son!...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Marines - I need your help

Unfortunately I do not meet the height/weight requirements, and I am too old... but I shall live vicariously through my son!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

2. Remove Ads

But you are already there in mind and spirit. Sort of a part of our beloved Corps.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Ahhhh, thanks!

I have actually gotten a notebook and am going to go back through this thread and all the pm's, as well as each site I have bookmarked... maybe I can write a book about how to help your son become a Marine!!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

If you write the book, you must split profits with all Marines who contributed to the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I could think of nothing less!!

So, I have looked into the NROTC - it looks as though when he finishes college he will become a 2nd Lieutenant in the Marine reserves. But shouldn't he be an AD officer? I am confused - yet again...

Yup, with a NROTC commision he is technically a reserve officer, although he will be serving active duty for his term. upon completion of his first hitch the little R at the end of the title is removed. I think it is more of a holdover from old days. I don't think it affects pay status or anything

One of the guys with officer experience can probably explain it better, its been a while since I've heard the actual reasoning behind it.

But if he does 4 years of NROTC he will be active duty.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Okay - so if by chance he gets the 4 yr. NROTC scholarship, goes all 4 years to get his degree (his major of choice is in Tier 2 - but he is considering some Tier 1 majors) he will graduate, and be an AD officer - not a reservist - He will go to The Basic School, and begin training for his MOS, is this correct?

Yup, every single midshipman (now officer) that I was in NROTC that recieved a commission is now on active duty.

ROTC stands for RESERVE Officer Training Corps, the reserve designation is a holdover from that, unless I am completely mistaken. I don't think Annapolis grads have the reserve after their rank, but the ROTC commissions do.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    2AM, you've pretty much on the dot.

Buckeye, technically all commissioned officers are reservists and maintain active duty status with the blessing of the Senate.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

It's only 730 in Hawa'ii (actually not the dream duty station one would think).

Yup, thats it Agave, I knew it was somethin like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I think academy mids are now getting reserve commissions as well.

There is a difference between a reserve and an active commission. Those serving under reserve commissions will "augment" (used to be competitive, not in today's environment) to active if they choose to remain in the service beyond their first few years of active duty.

Everyone will generally serve at least 4 on active duty (whether on a reserve or active commission) and another 4 on IRR (or in another reserve status if they arrange/choose) before the option to resign the commission altogether is on the table. The deal is an 8 year minimum commitment.

Thanks agent,
    Thats one of those more informed types I was mentioning.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

We knew it was 8 years, but I think there is a 6/2 option that he prefers to the 4/4...

Thanks Buckeye, Agave, and AgentX - it seemed odd that he would do all that training to become an officer just to let him "sit and wait" until he was called.

I will be doing more research today, so please check back because I feel certain I will have more questions!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Thanks agent,
    Thats one of those more informed types I was mentioning.
    Brother, given the length of time I've been out (and the length of the hair on my head) and the speed with which this stuff is changing at the moment, I'd double-check everything I say...

Also, I mis-spoke above. The 4/4 commitment is typical, not necessarily the case, and I apologize for mis-speaking...you have an 8 year TOTAL commitment, so whatever you don't do active, you finish out on IRR or other reserve duty. 5/3, 6/2, whatever.

Another note: Officers serve by appointment at the pleasure of the president. They can request resignation of the commission at any time...it may or may not be granted (typically will be, but you never know.) However, they have to serve out their current term of orders before their resignation is accepted. This is similar, but not the same, as finishing the term of an enlisted contract.

So in my research today I came across the NROTC Field Training Manual for the OCS....

Under Chapt 1 in the General category it discusses clothing. The candidates are to show up in "seasonal civilian attire" then it discusses running shoes, then it states:

"the items listed below are required for use during training...and must be purchased during in-process... 1 small issue bag $80... 1 large issue bag $240..."

Then it details what is inside each bag.
    So my questions are, will my son need to take $320 cash with him the first summer training session he goes to in order to purchase these items, and are there any other things like this that he will need to purchase while there?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links