Marines - I need your help - Page 9

Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It was my experience during boot camp they give you all the stuff, and take it out of the pay you get while training, not ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Marines - I need your help

It was my experience during boot camp they give you all the stuff, and take it out of the pay you get while training, not like you can use it for anything during that time anyway. So I doubt he would need the cash, military pays on the 1st and 15th of every month, as regular as the mail.

While at training he should get paid, I'm not sure at what pay grade though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It appears he will get paid for his time at OCS through his NROTC unit prior to OCS in order to give him the money he will need for the issue bags.

Under Gear Lists/optional gear:

Cover block (What is this?)
    Laminating paper(cold) - [is this like contact paper?]
    Map pens (are these like the wax pens that you can write on ziplock bags with?)
    Where can you purchase extra USMC PT shorts and t-shirts?

EDITED to add:
    It has come to my attention that I may have insulted the enlisted Marines - PLEASE accept my apology if I did. That was not my intention at all. I have the utmost respect for the enlisted men who have protected me and my loved ones and my country since long before I was born. Should my son decide he wants to enlist, I will back him just as fervently.

Thank you all for your help and your service!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

I haven't seen a need to be insulted by anything you have said Ma'am, I think you are ok.

PX's are usually the best place to purchase extra PT gear, unfortunately there aren't any big Marine bases I can think of in Kansas. I'm sure somewhere in Quantico sells them.

Laminating paper is to put on maps and papers to keep them intact in the field, map pens are to write on the items in the laminating paper, once again, PX type items.

Cover block I have not a clue about Ma'am
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You shouldn't worry about preparation of gear and what to say and what exactly to do; it will be taken care of in correct order. The best thing for someone to do to prepare it to work out.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    So my questions are, will my son need to take $320 cash with him the first summer training session he goes to in order to purchase these items, and are there any other things like this that he will need to purchase while there?
    Yes and yes. But I think you're getting a little deep into this if he's not even in the program yet...

NROTC, you'll be happy to know, pays midshipmen a monthly stipend. I don't know how much it is these days (probably not much; I think it was $150/month once upon a time), and I don't remember if non-scholarship mids get it.

Edit: He'll also do summer training sessions as a mid in the 2 years before he goes to OCS (seeing ships, planes, working with Marines, etc.) He also only goes through ONE OCS session as an NROTC mid.

A cover block, by the way, is a frame used to keep a cover (hat) in the proper shape. I used to starch and bake my cover on the block for ultimate jar-headedness. They may not even be using them with the newer MARPAT uniforms (I did, but I only had one set of them...)

I agree AgentX - but I was a Cubmaster for many years and lived then and currently live by the Boyscout motto: BE PREPARED!
    I am a planner, I've tried - but I can't seem to help myself...

Thanks for the info on the Cover block - that makes sense now! NROTC requires 3 summer cruises - is that what you were talking about for the training sessions before he goes to OCS?

He plans on beginning his training now - as far as the running with weight, etc.

Thanks BuckeyeLCPL!!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

The stipend is up over 300 a month now I believe, IIRC.

The new Marpat uniforms are a lot more user friendly then the old woodlands, not even supposed to starch them because of how the fabric is treated.

3rd summer is OCS, the other two are shorter cruises to show him what military life is like.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

2AM, plan away, but remember the military maxim, "no plan survives first contact." I'd stick with detailed planning for a primary path and several alternates into an officer training program and/or enlisted service. Worry about the gear to bring to OCS later. And don't worry; the USMC will take care of much/all of that preparation. What they can't and won't do is help him get inside, so focus on that.

Edit: as to running with weight, that won't be part of the PFT or anything for admission to a program, and he'll get plenty of practice in training. It's not a bad idea per se, but I would hate to see him roll an ankle or develop shin splints from going too hard with weight. They'll be more impressed with an 18-min PFT run in shorts and a t-shirt than anything else.

Ed II: Buckeye, we weren't technically supposed to starch woodlands, either. :D I was worried when the MARPAT came out that the "holier-and-more-starched-than-thou" crowd would begin the "starch creep" and make the new uniforms as much of a PITA as the old ones. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be the case. Fave MARPAT story--wore them home for the 1st time, walked in and my wife had a friend over. "what is that ugly stuff you're wearing?" she says. "Digital camo," I answer. "What, are you invisible to robots or something?"

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    -wore them home for the 1st time, walked in and my wife had a friend over. "what is that ugly stuff you're wearing?" she says. "Digital camo," I answer. "What, are you invisible to robots or something?"
    Now that's funny!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Point taken...

I will figure out when we can make the 500-600 mile drive to the nearest USMC OSS...

Begin the application process for the Naval Academy and the NROTC scholarsip...

Am I missing anything?

Are you sure that there aren't more officer selection officers closer? Honestly if you go to your local recruiting office they may have a way to get in touch without the long drive on your part, but start a package on the scholarships, a recruited could probably help with those too (I had one help me way back when).

EDIT: Marpat ain't the prettiest on the parade deck, but it flat out works.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Thanks BuckeyeLCPL I will check with the local recruiter to see what he says...

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    Am I missing anything?
    You may want to see if your son is interested cross country, have him go out for the team, most teams have a summer training session before school starts.

Good luck and let us know how things go, also most recruiters will still try get your son to enlist, he can always enlist later if he does not get an appointment at the Naval Academy or an NROTC scholarship.

For the Naval Academy, start contacting your Senators and your Representative for your district in congress, for the nomination process.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZUSMC22 View Post
    You may want to see if your son is interested cross country, have him go out for the team, most teams have a summer training session before school starts.

Good luck and let us know how things go, also most recruiters will still try get your son to enlist, he can always enlist later if he does not get an appointment at the Naval Academy or an NROTC scholarship.

For the Naval Academy, start contacting your Senators and your Representative for your district in congress, for the nomination process.
    He can enlist and still get an appointment or scholarship before he ships to Boot. I was enlisted for 11 months before I shipped; during that time I applied for the scholarship. If you are interested in the 92-day reserve program, he needs to enlist in the summer before his senior year because there are a certain number of slots for that.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AZUSMC22 View Post

Sure the recruiter will give a recruiting spiel, but its my experience that most of them want to do what is best for the kid, so if you explain that you are interested in one of those programs, they can find a way to arrange meetings more locally and such.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links