Marines - I need your help

This is a discussion on Marines - I need your help within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is very interested in going into the Marines when he turns 18. I have looked through the Marines.com website, but they try to ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines - I need your help

My son is very interested in going into the Marines when he turns 18. I have looked through the Marines.com website, but they try to give as little information as possible. I found a site that appears to be quite helpful, USMC Hangout, but not all of my questions are answered there either.

My main questions are in regards to bootcamp - specifically what your experiences were, and how to overcome some of the difficulties. And how can he get involved in officers candidate school?

He is top of his class (4.0 honor student) clean cut, good shape, and very good natured... he has a tremendous passion for defending his family and his country.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by 2AMomma View Post
    My main questions are in regards to bootcamp - specifically what your experiences were, and how to overcome some of the difficulties. And how can he get involved in officers candidate school?

He is top of his class (4.0 honor student) clean cut, good shape, and very good natured... he has a tremendous passion for defending his family and his country.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sounds like he's a good kid, in good physical shape. If he's also willing to keep his mouth shut, his ears open, and do as he's told, he'll do just fine. Really, mom!

Take him to a recruiter and he'll be happy to answer all your questions, honestly and with a minimum of BS.....

To get into OCS requires a college degree.

Check this website out, Sgt Grit Marine Forums there is a parent section for the type of question you have.

If it is not to late have him look into this program too

Naval Reserve Officer Training Marine Option (NROTC)

https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Officer/nrotc.htm

Hi. If he is very interested then he should do it. He will make friends for life, he will develop a camaraderie that he will not find as easily elsewhere, and he will never regret enlisting. As David in Fl said, being an officer requires a college degree.
    If he wants to go to college and wait, then he can go in via Platoon Leader's option, where he does his training summers instead of a one time Officer Candidate School, and he attends classes etc while in ROTC in college, if they have one on his campus. Most officers are via ROTC.
    I went to Parris Island two weeks after I turned 17, and while physical punishment was outlawed, I can assure you that it was not done away with but was as common as ever. Nowadays it is different. My boot camp was 13 weeks, today it is about 8.
    What he needs to do is to do this:
    Be sure this is what he wants.
    Make up his mind to do what he is told, instantaneously, without question.
    The drill instructors will make this easy for him to learn.
    Go into it with as positive a mindset as humanly possible, saying I am going to do what they tell me and MAKE IT THRU this training!
    That is all he needs. He will be all set. And he will never regret it. And forty years from now he will be rehashing stuff that happened while he was in for two or three or four years, like we do now via emails, about thirty of us, still laughing about stuff that was not even funny when it happened back in 1963-1967.
    Have him ask about what his MOS might be and if he has any choice. There are not as many MOS choices in the Marine Corps as there would be in, say, the Air Force or the Army, simply due to the disparity in size between services.
    But sometimes they can GUARANTEE you a certain Military Occupation Specialty and if he has one in mind, he can ask about it.
    If he wants to join the Marine Corps, then he should.
    If he wants to join the military in general but is undecided about which branch, I have other suggestions if you want to PM me.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I can't comment on OCS, but as to Basic Training; he needs to realize that everything that he will be put through has a purpose. Drill Instructors aren't sadistic, they are trained to take young men who think they could handle any combat situation, and make them into truly mentally tuf individuals who are able to perform under the most chaotic scenarios a human could possibly face. Marine Basic training as been pumping out some of the greatest warriors for the last 2 - 1/2 centuries. They have it down to a science.

The fact that your son is a 4.0 student, and wants to serve before continuing his education speaks volumes to how he was raised.
    Good job.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

The whole point of Marine training is this:
    To instantly obey orders without question.
    In order to function in combat, it must be this way.
    So they have to train people in this way.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

So if he begins college, and goes to ocs during the summer, will the corps pay for anything (travel to and from etc.) ? I don't think the college he is considering has a ROTC program, but I will take a closer look...

Thanks for the input so far - you guys are GREAT!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    The whole point of Marine training is this:
    To instantly obey orders without question.
    In order to function in combat, it must be this way.
    So they have to train people in this way.
    Sir, discipline is the instant willing obedience to all orders, respect for authority and self-reliance, sir!!!

Sir, the purpose of the marine rifle team is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuvers or to repel the enemies assault by fire and close combat, sir!!!

OK, my reminiscing is over.

If he goes, tell him to do as he's told and don't take anything personally (don't fall into the head games).

Also, do not sign open-contract. When I was in, everyone who signed open contract got either infantry or cook, mostly infantry. Get him to take his aptitude test. If he is as smart as you say, they will probably try to push him into something like avionics or aviation repair. Get an enlistment contract.

He can also do PLC in summers between school. Also, as said before he can do the navy route.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Boot Camp is a mental game. It's not really that physically challenging; don't get me wrong, it sucks physically, but it is no where near OCS on the lines of physical stuff. Tell him that he will never be able to please a drill instructor, nothing he will do will be correct enough, and to take nothing to heart. See rhinokrk's post. He's dead on.

Additionally, dcb188 said 8 weeks; I'll respectfully say that this isn't the case. It is 13.

Also, I'll compare this to gun safety: "Treat every recruiter as if he were lying."

He could do as I attempted and enlist in the Reserve (see "92 Day Reserve" program) and go to Boot immediately after graduating high school. Then he will go to his freshman year of college. During this, he should enroll in NROTC, learn, not get fat, and progress in his unit. The next summer would be his job training. At a certain point in college, he will be given the opportunity for scholarships and later Officer Candidate School. When he graduates college, he will be an "O-1E." I had to drop out of ROTC after my first semester and got discharged from the Corps later because of chronic, service related injuries.

I don't like to say that I'm an expert on the initial phases of the Marine Corps, but I've seen many sides of the Corps due to my circumstances. PM me and I can try to answer any questions you have. If you'd like, we (read: you, me, your boy) can converse per the phone.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

If he goes, tell him to do as he's told and don't take anything personally (don't fall into the head games).
    This was exactly what I told my son 3 years ago, when he enlisted in the Marines. He told me later that this was the best advice he got. They try to make you snap for a reason. They even did this in the Navy (to me). The reason is sound. Better to lose it in Boot, than in action. Lives depend on it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    But sometimes they can GUARANTEE you a certain Military Occupation Specialty and if he has one in mind, he can ask about it.
    If he wants to join the Marine Corps, then he should.
    They can guarantee him the MOS -- i.e., he will get trained in and receive that MOS.

Most often he will be assigned to that work. However, not always.

OIOW, All Marines are (or were, in my day) an 03 -- i.e., an infantryman. If he enlist with a guarantee he will also be a [whatever he is guaranteed, assuming he completes the required training]. But he might end up also being yet another MOS and be assigned that work. It's rare, but it happens.

Happened to me. Happened to my grandson. Needs of the Corps!

Main thing is that he needs to WANT to be a "Marine." Those who have problems, early on, nearly always signed up to prove something to someone, (maybe themselves, parents, older brothers, classmates, etc) or they were trying to impress someone. Many of them catch the Marine bug at boot and end up being fine Marines. But it's not the best start.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 14th, 2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added "assuming he completes the required training"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My son went through Paris Island two years ago. Advice about recruiters is spot-on. They are paid to fill slots and your son will hear everything he wants to hear. Have your son choose several MOS's as he may not get his first choice. Also, it's not as easy to change your MOS as you are led to believe. My son got into infantry and now is having a hard time changing specialties. I guess one can't change until the hitch is up.

The boot portion of his training is to reshape his thought process. Your son can't take anything personally and do everything he's told. Even then, he'll get yelled at, barked at and made an example of. The end result is one tough-minded Marine!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Well, Ma'am, as far as I know I'm the most recent Parris Island graduate on here (October of 07), and I did a year and a half of Marine NROTC in college. If you have specific questions feel free to ask, either here or in a PM. As far as some general knowledge for him:

The Marines is what you make of it, but it is not for everyone.
    Make sure everything that is promised to you by the recruiter is in writing.
    Easier to keep up than catch up, go into the beginning of any training in the best shape you can.

Sniper, generally for a lat move 3 years in your current MOS is required. For grunts, you can kiss any chance of lat moving goodbye unless you re-enlist.

As far as the OCS programs, some of them pay more or other depending on how much of a scholarship is recieved. Talking to a OSO (the officer equivalent of a recruiter) can give you more specifics on the options. Most importantly to be an officer one needs a Bachelors degree in something.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

When I was in, which was shortly after the Little Big Horn, boot camp was 13 weeks, including one week of mess duty. I thought it went down to 8 or 9 weeks then I just heard it is back up to 13?
    Semper Fi 1963-1967, how I hate to write this as it makes me feel old. Probably because I am old.

DCB, I did 13 weeks, although I heard I was in the last cycle for that and it is now 12.

OCS, by the way is either 2 6 weeks summer sessions, or one 10 week session, followed by a mandatory 6 months at TBS, and then MOS school for officers.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links