Would you show ID to an LEO?

This is a discussion on Would you show ID to an LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dcb188 I'm not convinced, because here we have a LEO just asking for an ID. I don't think he or she would ...

View Poll Results: Would you show ID to an LEO if asked?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 68.98%
  • No

2 0.82%
  • Depends on the circumstances

74 30.20%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Would you show ID to an LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I'm not convinced, because here we have a LEO just asking for an ID. I don't think he or she would ask for no reason at all. I mean, we have to give them some credit somewhere. So I assume the request is for a reason. Not to harrass me. So I give the ID to the officer as a show of respect and compliance with a harmless request.
    Others apparently see it as another step in the mass erosion of liberties procured by us in the American Revolution. I think it goes too far. I don't think it is at all invasive as some would believe. I think it is not on the same level at all with really intrusive government Big Brother actions.
    It is a request for an ID. That is all it is. To make it into something more than that seems to read a lot into it that is not there. This is not a goverment agency taking away your passport or installing a microchip on your person etc It is a cop asking for an ID.
    So we disagree, but we are just talking about it because someone asked. Would YOU give an ID to a LEO, and my answer for myself only is, sure, not a problem. He is not fingerprinting me on the side of the road or taking DNA samples. I don't see it as this big governmental intrusion that if left unchecked, will lead to bigger and worse intrusions.
    I will go a step further. If I have done nothing wrong, and a cop comes to my front door and says sorry to bother you but can we look in your backyard. We were just chasing this guy and he may be in one of the yards. Can we cut thru your house to get outside there? A lot of folks here would say no.
    And I am one of them.

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    I'm not sure how some of you come to the conclusion that not willing to show ID without cause makes us anti-police. That is a ridiculous assumption. The vast majority of LEO are good guys, doing a tough job. I'm not required by my state to show ID without valid reason so I would not. Why that would make me unreasonable, uncooperative or anti-police is beyond me. The few times I've been stopped for walking in my neighborhood, I've only been asked for ID once. I had no problem showing ID because, when asked, he gave a valid reason. Except that one time, I was asked for my name and that was sufficient for the officer. I have never had an LEO ask me for ID without giving a reason, at least when asked. I don't think I'd care to live someplace where the police just go around IDing people at will.

I think anybody who willengly shows Id to any leo just cause they ask is a leo used to called peace keepers cause they served a small town keeping peace ,now they are (for the most part) bullys enforceing the laws that put more revue in their districts just my .02
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

Senior Moderator
    now they are (for the most part) bullys enforceing the laws that put more revue in their districts just my .02

You know alot of officers eh? You know exactly what they do ,how they do it and have come to that conclusion based on actual observation or hear say?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    There is no constitutional right to anonymity.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    I think anybody who willengly shows Id to any leo just cause they ask is a leo used to called peace keepers cause they served a small town keeping peace ,now they are (for the most part) bullys enforceing the laws that put more revue in their districts just my .02
    This one wins... good thing the short bus comes around early in the morning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

And people told me just a little while ago that anti-LEO sentiment is not a factor in this discussion. Look at the posts. It is most certainly a factor of some kind, whether large or small.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

VIP Member
    And people told me just a little while ago that anti-LEO sentiment is not a factor in this discussion. Look at the posts. It is most certainly a factor of some kind, whether large or small.
    I have to publicly concede that, for some, you were right.

I do know it is not true of all of us, however.

I sure hope it is true for only a very small part of our community -- both this forum and the pro-gun community, as a whole.

We already have the baa'ing against us. We surely do not need the professional sheepdogs seeing us a wolves.

I for one would prefer to align with the sheepdogs.

Maybe the analogy of sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves needs another group "the confused" or "mislead."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    dcb188

Maybe I need the tag,

I do not think I know what I don't know--Socrates
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

You don't need that tag, DaveH, you have great posts, always.
    Just to extend the discussion a bit, I think that a lot of law abiding citizens have this built in suspicion about authority, which is natural and part of human nature. I think we are born with a natural distrust of authority and it has served us well to be like that.
    So in my opinion there are a lot of law-abiding citizens who are not ANTI LEO but they sure ain't pro LEO either. Kind of a viewpoint that yes, police are great when you need them but otherwise I do not really want any contact with them and the slightest contact causes some level of resentment, that they DO have the power to pull you over, the authority to ask questions, to have you step out of the vehicle. I think we naturally do not like to be told what to do, by anyone. I think this is part of human nature.
    So it is not just a few people who are uncomfortable and a little hostile toward submitting to authority.
    Look at the president. Whoever gets in there is applauded right away but it never fails that as time goes on, no matter what they do or do not do, their "approval" rates starts to fall, and this I think is due to that natural fear and resentment of authority.
    This post may seem to go outside the perimeters of what we were discussing but I think it is the same kind of discussion taken to a broader level.
    The main point being that one does not have to be actually anti-LEO to be resentful of a LEO's lawful authority and to resist ,at least mentally, any encroachment at all on our personal liberties day to day.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    And you came to this conclusion, HOW?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    Quote Originally Posted by sbacheler View Post
    And you came to this conclusion, HOW?
    By reading and understanding the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    By reading and understanding the Constitution.
    I would also assume that you have found in the constitution (by your response) that you must identify yourself?

It is my firm conviction that it is implicite (4th and 5th amendments (ergo Rights)) because of the founding fathers desire for a limited & unobtrusive government.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sbacheler View Post
    I would also assume that you have found in the constitution (by your response) that you must identify yourself?
    That is not the issue. The issue you raised was whether the Constitution protected the right to privacy (more specifically, the right to be anonymous.) There s no such protection.

It is my firm conviction that it is implicite (4th and 5th amendments (ergo Rights)) because of the founding fathers desire for a limited & unobtrusive government.
    It might be your firm conviction but it is nowhere to be found in the text. Of course, if you can divine an emanation of a penumbra...

A limited government in no way creates a right to anonymity.

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links