Would you show ID to an LEO? - Page 7

Would you show ID to an LEO?

This is a discussion on Would you show ID to an LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense That is not the issue. The issue you raised was whether the Constitution protected the right to privacy (more specifically, the ...

View Poll Results: Would you show ID to an LEO if asked?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 68.98%
  • No

2 0.82%
  • Depends on the circumstances

74 30.20%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Would you show ID to an LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    That is not the issue. The issue you raised was whether the Constitution protected the right to privacy (more specifically, the right to be anonymous.) There s no such protection.

It might be your firm conviction but it is nowhere to be found in the text. Of course, if you can divine an emanation of a penumbra...

A limited government in no way creates a right to anonymity.
    I re-read the posts and I was incorrect. I did not catch the word "anonymity." my apologies. I do still say that you are not required to produce identity papers just because a LEO requests them. In PA you are only required to give name address and DOB, without the LEO having an RAS. And stop using big words (penumbra). You're gonna give me a headache :) Though I do like this definition of the word! 3: a body of rights held to be guaranteed by implication in a civil constitution.

Edit: Just found the following:
    In Hiibel v. 6th Judicial Circuit of Nevada, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled said the law only requires that a suspect disclose his or her name, rather than requiring production of a driver's license or other document, and that's only if you're suspected of some criminal wrongdoing.

VIP Member

Question Duh??

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I usually can figure out the Smilies. But this one eludes me.

What's it mean/imply.

BTW -- I'd PM SIXTO, rather than post to the whole list, but the system won't let me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I usually can figure out the Smilies. But this one eludes me.

What's it mean/imply.

BTW -- I'd PM SIXTO, rather than post to the whole list, but the system won't let me.
    Its nothing major, just whats going on in my head when I read some of the posts...its amazing what people think they know, and have no clue what they are talking about.
    The bouncing smiley is just me thinking about how I would come back to some of the posts, but I'm really trying to be a kind and gentile SIXTO.
    BTW, I turned off my PM function. It was taking way to long to sort out my PM's, I'd rather spend my time in the public forums.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Showing the Mil. ID to an LEO when asked can even sometimes get you out of a ticket. At least I have! :)
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

I think you are right. But it backfired once with a friend of mine.
    We were both asst DAs and he said that once he was stopped by Boston Police he gave the officer his license, registration, and asst DA credential wallet, with ID card and info, and the officer walked back to his cruiser, came back a little later and handed it back to the motorist and said Don't EVER do that again!
    But military, yes, it goes a long long way. And it should.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Gotta say it depends on who it is, whether they are Federal or local.

Federal:
    DHS, CIA, NSA, SS, DOD, DIA, IRS, or BATF the answer is most certainly not!
    FBI, maybe.

Local guys, maybe. Depends on whether or not I'm driving. For a traffic stop, yes, but otherwise I'll avoid it if possible.

LE can't question you without a lawyer if you demand one, so I would think you can pretty much avoid whatever questions you like, including who you are. Provided you aren't suspected of doing anything wrong, I'd think it would be a huge pain for them to detain you just to find out who you are.

I'm a good guy, so (in addition to having nothing to hide) they have no right to hassle me in any way.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

In my state a motorist must give correct name or the charge is giving false name to a police officer........
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Gotta say it depends on who it is, whether they are Federal or local...

...LE can't question you without a lawyer if you demand one, so I would think you can pretty much avoid whatever questions you like, including who you are. Provided you aren't suspected of doing anything wrong, I'd think it would be a huge pain for them to detain you just to find out who you are.

I'm a good guy, so (in addition to having nothing to hide) they have no right to hassle me in any way.

Mel
    If you lawyer up, you will be detained in most (if not all) cases. If you refuse to identify yourself, it will be a larger pain for you than them. As they are being paid for their time, and you are not. Not to mention your taking a cop off the street that could be responding to a situation in which they may do some good.

I'm quite sure you are a good guy (with nothing to hide), so how would a quick ID check be a hassle (with nothing to hide)?

JMHO
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I always do...I have nothing to hide. Also, a lot of cops tend to be amped up on the steroids or their own egos (or both) 90% of the time so it's best to comply as it tends to lower their blood pressure. The last thing you want is for them to start slapping a bunch of trumped up, lame azz charges on you and waste your time.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I have a healthy mistrust of anyone I don't know, regardless of their occupation. So it depends on circumstances.

I answered "depends on the circumstances", although I can't recall a time when I haven't shown ID to LEO. Typically, the only times have been routine traffic stops. I've not had an unreasonable request for ID up to this point, and I've been around the block a few times. I reserve the right of refusal, however, should an unreasonable request occur in the future.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    I reserve the right of refusal, however, should an unreasonable request occur in the future.
    And just what is an "unreasonable request ?"
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A request that they do not want to honor :)

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post

Couldn't agree more.

Why wouldn't I show a LEO my ID? I believe it is required to show ID to LEO if asked. If you mean the CCW ID...that comes up if and when he runs my ID.
    If you mean do I whip out my CCW when asked for ID....no I don't...unless my having a weapon is a issue. Hasn't been yet. I have no problem showing that one too, but it isn't neccessary when just being IDd.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links