Would you show ID to an LEO?

This is a discussion on Would you show ID to an LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 90% of the time I have no problem with presenting ID to LEO. A few exceptions if a LEO just walked up to me and ...

View Poll Results: Would you show ID to an LEO if asked?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

169 68.98%
  • No

2 0.82%
  • Depends on the circumstances

74 30.20%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Would you show ID to an LEO?

Senior Moderator
    90% of the time I have no problem with presenting ID to LEO.

A few exceptions if a LEO just walked up to me and asked for ID out of the blue I'd say no (This has never happened). If walked up and said we are looking for a bank Robber matching your discription (or something similar) can I see you ID? I'd say No problem.

Border Patrol Check points within the U.S. (The ones on the Northern Border) were they just ask for proof of citizenship I say no (This has happened more than once)
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    90% of the time I have no problem with presenting ID to LEO.

A few exceptions if a LEO just walked up to me and asked for ID out of the blue I'd say no (This has never happened). If walked up and said we are looking for a bank Robber matching your discription (or something similar) can I see you ID? I'd say No problem.

Border Patrol Check points within the U.S. (The ones on the Northern Border) were they just ask for proof of citizenship I say no (This has happened more than once)
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Do I take it, then, that you have no problem with similar Border Patrol check points on the Southern border?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

During a stop it is required here. No need to surprise the officer!
    So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Last line of "Rifle Creed" by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I think kpw misinterpreted my remark.
    Looks like we both did! My mistake!

My response to your post was simply an observation that if you wanted to cause an LEO to become belligerent then your plan might very well succeed. As I previously posted on this thread the LEO is not interested in conversing with you and you have no 'right' to know what he is investigating or why he is investigating. You can simply provide identification, which is not burden whatsoever, or encourage a negative response from LEO. Not a single person has made a credible case for not cooperating with LEO.
    A few things:
    -I'm not really big on rights, though that may be considered RKBA heresy. I'm more of a responsibilities/obligations/de officium type -- "negative rights" if you have to think of it that way. So I'm not as much interested in my rights, your rights, officers' rights as I am in your obligations, mine, and the officer's.
    -I do believe that if I am acting in a law-abiding way, the officer has a duty to inform me when showing unusual attention to my person.
    -Correct, providing it is no burden, and I should clarify that I would inquire "May I ask why?" while <b>promptly</b> providing the requested information. In other words, I'm not going to say, "No, you tell me first!"... but as I'm cooperating fully and quickly producing the requested ID, I expect to be informed of the reason for his unusual interest, and I certainly believe he has an obligation to explain his interest.

I agree that there is not particularly a good reason to refuse to give ID, but I do think there is good reason for the officer to give some explanation. I consider it my duty as a citizen to do whatever is in my power to accommodate an officer doing his job, but I do not consider myself under the "rule" of the police.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Do I take it, then, that you have no problem with similar Border Patrol check points on the Southern border?
    Since my wife is Canadain I am around the northern border a lot. I have not had a similar experience near the southern border, mainly because I am not around the southern border much.

I was just relating my own personal experience
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links