Photos Show Marine's Narrow Escape From Death in Afghanistan

This is a discussion on Photos Show Marine's Narrow Escape From Death in Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dramatic photos show a Marine's narrow escape from death Sunday while facing insurgent gunfire in Afghanistan. The Marine, part of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos Show Marine's Narrow Escape From Death in Afghanistan

Photos Show Marine's Narrow Escape From Death in Afghanistan

Dramatic photos show a Marine's narrow escape from death Sunday while facing insurgent gunfire in Afghanistan.

The Marine, part of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), was exchanging gunfire with Taliban fighters near Garmser in Afghanistan's Helmand Province when a Reuters photographer captured the soldier's very close call.

A series of six photos show the Marine, wearing a T-shirt and fatigues but no combat helmet, ducking as insurgent gunfire tears through the top of a mud wall he's using for cover. Remarkably, the Marine escaped the gunfight without injury.

“The insurgents are finding that every time they engage with the Marines, they lose,” Col. Peter Petronzio, commander of the 24th MEU, said in a statement issued May 10. “The Marines are gaining ground every day and securing more of the routes through the district. The support we have received from our allied partners has contributed to our many successes thus far.”

Troops have targeted this region on the Pakistan border that has served as a route for supplies and reinforcements for insurgents since April 28.

"Definitely they are putting resistance in the area because Garmser is very important for them," Gen. Carlos Branco, a spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force, told the AFP.

"Garmser is a planning, staging and logistics hub. Once lost it will mean a severe defeat for them," he told the agency. "That is why they are reinforcing with insurgents coming from other places, both north and south."

Branco told the AFP that the insurgents had suffered "heavy" losses.
    Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com
    The link has the pictures.
    This was a very close call. Glad he is O.K.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

wow that was close
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Looks like the photographer needed a rifle instead of a camera.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

What narrow escape from death? What cheating? The shot at him missed - plain and simple. By the time he started to flinch, the threat of the round was long gone and he was left to deal with the rocks.

No doubt they are very cool and dramatic photographs, but they don't shot him escaping or cheating death, just flinching and falling with a bunch of debris.

Looks like the ACOG took the brunt of the fall for the rifle. I bet it still works fine.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Hmm, where is his PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), not often to see guys in boots and utes in a firefight.

PPE is required for any convoy or patrol work, as well as post and any duty that can put you at risk.

The ACOG probably still is fine, its a tough, well built, piece of gear.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

he was prolly on his down time and they got hit. its happened before. reminds me of NTC actualy. i got stuck on the QRF detail for a few days shortly after someone in my troop built a shower. as im showering opfor tries to get in and next thing ya kow im running out of the tent in a towel and shower shoes with my M4 and a bandoleer of mags. hillarious but not too bright on my part.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Bobcat, I'm aware it happens, and see you point, it just seems odd to me, no PPE, no extra mags, and that doesn't really look like a FOB wall. Guess I'm gonna have to look around on this a little more.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Lucky guy, I hope his Mom, wife or kids don't see those pictures.

Senior Moderator
    Time to move and shoot from a different spot.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    ... and that doesn't really look like a FOB wall. Guess I'm gonna have to look around on this a little more.
    His is in a wadi.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Administrator
    The one caption cracks me up, saying something about "taking cover". Looks to me like he got knocked down.

No matter though, great pictures and makes me appreciate what they are doing even more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For those that want to joke about how close to death he was -- Or joke about what he wasn't wearing --

I suspect he was a lot closer to death than any of us were today.

Any day our guys get through with only a pile of dirt on them is a great day. This guy is doing his job. He doesn't take the pics or write the captions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    For those that want to joke about how close to death he was -- Or joke about what he wasn't wearing --

I suspect he was a lot closer to death than any of us were today.

Any day our guys get through with only a pile of dirt on them is a great day. This guy is doing his job. He doesn't take the pics or write the captions.
    Who's joking?

Been there and done that my friend, we tend to see things through different sets of eyes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wasn't jokin about his lack of PPE, its actually a serious issue. The Marines are pretty serious about making sure we wear it at all times while engaged in combat operations.

His job is my job, I'm just not over in the sandbox yet, but that time is rapidly approaching for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Who's joking?

Been there and done that my friend, we tend to see things through different sets of eyes.
    Good for you. I am happy you made it back.

USMC 1969-1971. You aren't the only one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links