What's the role of law enforcement? - Page 2

What's the role of law enforcement?

This is a discussion on What's the role of law enforcement? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac Yeah, I get some of those. Funny, that's what I thought PARENTS were for.... ....and I won't hesitate to remind ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the role of law enforcement?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Yeah, I get some of those.

Funny, that's what I thought PARENTS were for....

....and I won't hesitate to remind ANYONE of what THEIR responsibilities are. (Note: this does NOT make one popular with Police Chiefs, Sheriffs, Prosecutors, Judges, etc.)

As for your two characterizations of cops, while I have seen examples from both categories, I know that my approach/mindset is different from either.

I basically try to figure out what people NEED. Sometimes, it's just reassurance. Sometimes, it's education. Sometimes, it's a smack on the pee-pee.

Sometimes, it's removal from decent society.

Then, I compare their NEEDS with my options under the LAW, and where those lines intersect......there ya go!

I like that answer Sgt. Mack. It's too bad your a Cornhusker or we could be pals. (1994 reference) :) GO PENN STATE!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    I'm in line with Sgt. Mac...

The biggest part of the problem with people and LEO's is that society expects them to be their daddy, big brother etc., and at the same time they want to tell us how to do the job when most people have no clue about whats involved. Some of the posts in this very thread make that evident.
    "Just blame Sixto"

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

The biggest part of the problem with people and LEO's is that society expects them to be their daddy, big brother etc., and at the same time they want to tell us how to do the job when most people have no clue about whats involved. Some of the posts in this very thread make that evident.
    We know exactly what it's like...we've all seen COPS ya know!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    We know exactly what it's like...we've all seen COPS ya know!
    Everybody sees that exciting 30 minutes of footage, taken over the course of a week.

Nobody but US see the other 39.5 hours of monotony and paperwork.

Everybody sees that exciting 30 minutes of footage, taken over the course of a week.

Ya' forgot the doughnut shop...(at least 5 hours/week)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post

I find LEO statements like "I am the law" to be offensive and totally off-base.
    What LEO, specifically, has said this, aside from Stallone as Judge Dredd?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    What LEO, specifically, has said this, aside from Stallone as Judge Dredd?
    I was waiting for this...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Funny story...

I was driving to work one morning and saw 3 different police cars racing down the street with lights and sirens blazing. Well, when I passed Dunkin Donuts, there they were along with 2 other cars.

Now, I didn't stop, so this could have been a robbery that they were responding to or something like that, but it was still funny.

kpw

That wouldn't be too good for ratings.

In all seriousness, I give you guys a big thumbs up for doing that kind of work. I couldn't do it.

I was waiting for this...
    It's funny, but I was asking it seriously. The original poster says that he finds this statement, or the like, offensive. I'm wondering where he's heard it outside of fiction or his own musings.

If he's got a problem with corrupt policemen, well, find me any honest person--citizen, LEO, anyone, who doesn't share that. But he seems to have something more that's bothering him.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We don't have one here.....

10-4
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    I find LEO statements like "I am the law" to be offensive and totally off-base.
    Rivers, in case you missed my two earlier inquiries, I'm very interested to know where you heard this.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    dukalmighty what do you think of the Arkansas incident that Duisburg came on with, the thread was Back in the US and arrested or something like that. I don't want to go to the thread because we are talkiing now about the officer only, not that whole thread material
    I think there are cops everywhere that have no business being cops,if that situation happened as stated and i believe the op,It sounds like a small town cop breaking the law,but one problem with some backwoods area the judge and the cop are related and i've seen where somebody has hired a "city" lawyer to represent them and the lawyer is found in contempt of court and locked up.these little towns generate revenue off their tickets and he saw a money pot,That's what I think.Now there are a lot of officers that uphold the laws they are sworn to enforce and treat people as nice or as not so nice as the situation dictates.As far as the guy having a record if he wasn't fingerprinted and photo taken where is the record of arrest,and a speeding ticket won't exempt you from carrying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think there are cops everywhere that have no business being cops,if that situation happened as stated and i believe the op,It sounds like a small town cop breaking the law,but one problem with some backwoods area the judge and the cop are related and i've seen where somebody has hired a "city" lawyer to represent them and the lawyer is found in contempt of court and locked up.these little towns generate revenue off their tickets and he saw a money pot,That's what I think.
    Sounds like it.

Someone who has only had that sort of experience with the police, or who has zero experience and a friend or relative who has experienced this, is not going to have a good attitude.

I've seen "speed trap maps", but they seem a bit sparse. I don't suppose there's any maps showing towns that depend on court revenue around, are there?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links