USMC Days - Page 2

USMC Days

This is a discussion on USMC Days within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I never personally knew of any Marines who joined or went to jail, but people were not as positive of what they wanted, generally. Not ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USMC Days

I never personally knew of any Marines who joined or went to jail, but people were not as positive of what they wanted, generally. Not as focused. Like the son on the other thread, he knows what he wants. We did not do that, think about it for a couple of years ahead of time etc and plan it out. We seemed to just know we were going into the military because we wanted to, so we went into the best branch.
    I knew for sure that I was going in for four years. The recruiters said oh you could do two or three, not four necessarily but I insisted on four and so I said well what is the best branch? And that was that.
    A friend of mine who was stationed with me in Puerto Rico told me that he went to join the Navy one day and the recruiter was out to lunch, so he walked across the hallway and joined the Marine Corps!!!!!! This is the type of thing I mean, not planned out as much as today. We still bust his b.....s about this constantly.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    My military ID picture was taken during those 36 hours, people that see it say I didn't look very happy.
    +1. It is the worst picture of the four ID cards that I carry.

Second night was July 4th, we did not get to watch the fireworks show.
    I was a month in and did get to see the fireworks. I do remember getting extra firewatch for something I did during the show. That show was a hellofa break.

DI duty is probably one of the toughest in the Corps, not for me I don't think. A lot of PLT's now have 4 DI's, and you are a Marine for a week before graduation, trying to get you not to say sir to every Lance you meet in the fleet I suppose.
    We weren't Marines until the day before we went home and I'm a 2005er. My buddy that was there as the same time as you told me about Marine Week. I didn't have that problem of calling LCpls 'sir.' Of course, I was a reservist.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2aMomma: You are welcome here too!!! We created this thread so we would not interfere with the one you started, but all this info might come in handy for you and your son, too, but some of it is ancient history too :) We kept going off topic from what you were asking, so buckeyeLCPL said we were straying off topic and so I created this thread.......
    I am really in the dark about how it is nowadays as I not talked to an active duty Marine for years and years.
    I am learning a lot here tonight.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Sorry, had to go stand by in the rain for formation for about 4 hours.

Agave, mine is by far the worst as well, my best is probably my CHL, the guy at the sheriffs office said he wouldn't take the picture unless I smiled.

The only holiday we had was labor day, I think we got like 4 extra hours off in the mornin like a Sunday, and then, we celebrated labor day.

I think we were one of the first cycles to go back to getting Eagle Globe and Anchors right after the crucible, that warriors breakfast was actually pretty good, and we got to talk to the DI's like humans.

A sir would occasionally come out to a SOI instructor, but that was because someone was gettin chewed and went back into recruit mode, aside from that it wasn't really a problem.

2aMomma, there could potentially be some more good ammo for you in here, you are of course welcome Ma'am.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm get my first hashmark next month and I just extended my 5 year contract for a 3rd pump. Wish I would get new Marines that actually want to be Marines. I've got a LCpl who is inches away from a BCD, another who I have to witness her NJP for underage drinking...she got caught the day after I warned her about doing it in the parking lot on base...had one get kicked out medically for being bipolar, but he was really just a dirtbag. Out of the last 6 boots I've gotten, only one has been worth much, but he's also on BCP.

I think the hazing rules are getting too strict. I can't hardly yell at my guys anymore without getting burned. Everything has to be handled "administratively", and for some people, that just doesn't work. I miss the days of "quadcon NJPs", "four pointing", and other non administrative ways of making the stubborn ones comply. I turned out alright...but it's harder to mold people now.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

When I did boot in '04, we got our EGA the Thurs before graduation Fri. We still had "Marine week", where we didn't call the DIs "sir", started saying "I" instead of "this recruit"...etc, but we weren't Marines. At the top of the crucible they called us "men", but not Marines.
    -Ryan

I agree with you on the hazing thing there airwinger, and I'm a "boot" (not allowed to say that word anymore, I don't find it offensive, its tradition). People don't need to get pummeled for the fun of it, but even verbal corrections are getting to the point they can't be effective.

There will always be turds, but some don't need to be, just a push in the right direction.

Wow, I can't imagine having a COED workplace in the Marines, everytime I hear someone talk about it its like, Oh yeah, some people have that. Nothing wrong with it, but in the grunt world it doesn't happen.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

There is everything wrong with it.

My FM was unable to torque a bolt to 110 in lbs...that's hardly anything at all. Unable to perform maintenance = worthless.

Not to mention she's boned about half our unit already. I hate FMs with a passion. Coed sucks.
    -Ryan

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from, but we probably should leave it at that, keep the forum family friendly at all. We wad a "sister company" in boot camp with the same graduation date that did like all the major evolutions like at the same time as use and stuff, it made for some funny times.

I'm headin to Cali for pretty much the next month, lots of fun in the desert. Apparently it is rather warm there currently.

Who in this thread is Hollywood, and who shudders whenever the hear "sand fleas"? I'm a sand flea hater myself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'm hollywood. I'll be in Yuma, AZ next month on another det. I've been on every det since we've been back. Blah. Where in CA will you be headed?
    -Ryan

Goin to the Stumps.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The heat hasn't been too bad, but then again, I'm from Texas, and if it's below 80, it's cold.

I need to get to bed. I gotta be up at 4.
    -Ryan

Take care brother, I'm from Ohio, where it snows at 90.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Heard from Bumper, he says the thread here is fine. I had asked him if he wanted it moved to Off Topic. Fine where it is, so that's good.
    The word Boot cannot be used anymore?

Administrator
    Whats wrong with the word boot?

Anyhoo, I am not a Marine, but spent as much time among Marines as I did soldiers, so I feel as if I can speak with a little authority about Marines.
    The biggest difference I noticed was that Marines joined the service because the wanted to be Marines. Not a tank driver, pilot, doctor or whatever, the wanted to be a Marine.
    Even the elite of the other branches joined not because they wanted to be a solider, sailor or airman most wanted to do something beyond that.

Case in point, the first thing another service member always wants to know when they find out I was in the Army is "What was my MOS?"... With Marines, it's "Oh you are a Marine" as if they all know what that particular Marine's job was/is while serving. I guess that stems from the uniqueness of the every marine is an infantryman thing.

In the Army, it almost seems as important what your job is than your rank. Certain tabs and decorations or school attendance get you respect quicker than your rank does... that doesnt seem to be the case with the Marines. I think they understand that every Marine is an important cog in the wheel, no matter if he works in the kitchen or is out doing some high speed Hollywood type of stuff. Just my observations...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links