USMC Days

This is a discussion on USMC Days within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good points as always, Sixto. I picked up on what buckeyeLcpl said a few posts ago, how they are not supposed to use the word ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USMC Days

Good points as always, Sixto. I picked up on what buckeyeLcpl said a few posts ago, how they are not supposed to use the word "boot" anymore, so I am waiting for him to come back on here.
    Some things have changed and some things have never changed. Good to see.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Good points as always, Sixto. I picked up on what buckeyeLcpl said a few posts ago, how they are not supposed to use the word "boot" anymore, so I am waiting for him to come back on here.
    Some things have changed and some things have never changed. Good to see.
    I might know why "boot" isn't allowed anymore, but its just a guess. I've heard the word used more and more as a derogatory term, thats the only thing I can think of.

Also, it seems as if rank still means rank in the Corp., where as in the Army and I'll assume the other branches it means pay grade only.
    "Just blame Sixto"

PM me with it. I am curious.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

While I was in I was booter than the saltier Marine

I have a good moment I think today would be considered hazzing.

I was in a boat company during my first hitch and everything that wasn't bolted down to the deck had to be dummy corded to the boat or to yourself. So I get stuck doing boatwatch overnight and had to start up the engines every hour or so to prevent the water in the cooling ducts from freezing. As I leaned over the side to check for water discharge out of the engine, I just stared as how, in slow motion, my handheld radio went over the side making a distinctive PLUP when it dissapeared. I didn't even think twice and I went after it in cold a** water. I had to finally give up as I was nearing hypotermia (January in Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune). Plt Sgt shows up and I report what happened. He sent a fellow Marine to get his dive gear and the radio was pulled from the bottom of the pier, still working. I spent about a week going everywhere carrying a radio dummy corded to a 15lbs plow anchor from one of the boats. I can just picture the people staring at me on the chowhall as I sat down to eat. I think stuff like that would be hazzing now a days, but to me it beats office hours any time of the day. I tell you, up to this day I dummy cord everything - I learned my lesson.

Distinguished Member
    Over the years I experienced or witnessed a number of training events that might be called hazing now.

EMI (Extra Military Instruction)
    Late for formation - Dig a fighting hole.
    Fail a field-day inspection - Reclean the room on Saturday and dig a fighting hole.
    Fail to render a proper greeting (salute) - Dig a fighting hole.

When a Marine forgot or misplaced their ID Card, they were issued a temporary in the form of a 10 to 15 pound rock - "Looks just like you."

Wall-to-wall counseling - any number of bumps around the room as Gunny got a piece of your tail.

There were always push-ups for small infractions.

Nothing wrong with hazing, if needed. I visited PI in 1996 with a group, and wrote to the Commanding General, said it was a great visit, I just think DIs should be allowed to say more than gosh darn, because an enemy will surely say more than that to the troops and he replied back, thank you for your letter, am glad you enjoyed your visit.
    Hazing and outright corporal punishment has its place, for some. Absolutely. Can't lay a hand on anyone? That is wrong.

Yup, boot is considered hazing now. Cageuits, that would be hazing, we had an issue where a guy kept misplacing his rifle, and had it dummy corded to him with zip ties, that was hazing.

O great, SIXTO found us. Yeah, rank still usually means quite a bit around the Corps, especially dealing with SNCO's and the like, they always get the respect they have earned.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hazing is great when used right. And it is absolutely necessary.

Not going to argue that hazing doesn't have a place in the Marines, I just know what the official policy on it is now.

You Hollywood or a Sand Flea hater dcb?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The Great Parris Island, where sunglasses and suntan lotion were not part of our 782 gear.
    Maybe if we called hazing SPMT it might go over better. Substantial Physical Motivational Tactic :)
    Should have introduced myself long before this.....dave

We didn't get sunglasses, although in the fleet dark lens shooting glasses are fine. They were sticklers about bug juice (which never worked anyways against those darn bugs) and sun screen at PI though. Apparently if you get sunburnt too badly now you can get charged with destruction of gov't property.

I'm Dan, or Buckeye, or whatever basically.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Hi Dan: That is the rivalry between SD and PI, just kidding.......but let's bring back SPMT.

I went thru there in Nov and Dec and man was it cold, I never thought SC could be so cold but it was. Field jackets etc were barely enough.

My boot camp was July-October (We did 13 weeks of fun), there were times I thought my face was melting off. Never seen anywhere as humid as that island. I was also selected to be my platoons scribe, which meant I was on the good side of the SDI, which made life a little easier, there were nights when I was so busy I even got to go shower by myself without anyone counting me down, that was luxury then.

SOI was Mid-October through Mid-December, and North Carolina can get awfully cold at night sitting in a hole you just dug in the ground. We found ways to make small fires in the grenade sumps to try to keep our feet from freezing, thankfully I didn't get caught for that one.

Would you believe that the Marines are trying to go tobacco free? No cigarettes during boot camp anymore. From what I've seen in the fleet it isn't working too well though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links