USMC Days

This is a discussion on USMC Days within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think SC is worse in the summer. Tobacco free? What is next? No weapons? The smoking lamp is lit. Do they still have that? ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USMC Days

I think SC is worse in the summer.
    Tobacco free? What is next? No weapons?
    The smoking lamp is lit. Do they still have that? At PI we went outside and formed a big circle, in the center was a bucket of water, you had to flick the ashes into the bucket, do a correct about face and march back then about face back to your position. If you dropped one ash on the sacred ground of PI, you know the rest.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

2. Remove Ads

Smoking lamp is still used at mess nights and such. A lot of the guys smoke, even more dip, but for boot camp and most of SOI, it was tobacco free, some guys had a rough time with that.

O yeah, and there is no beer ration anymore either, since the legal age is 21, and most of the guys are younger than that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Dec 25, 1963. Standing at attention in front of our racks. We had put out a stocking hung on our racks the night before, being Christmas Eve and all.
    The day before, the one of our three DIs had asked us to raise our hands if we did NOT believe in Santa Claus. They say to never ever volunteer for anything but four of us did, including me. Nothing more was said about it til Christmas morning and everyone took a small candy bar out of the sock placed in front of his rack, all except the four of us, who found a piece of paper with a number written on it. Mine was 24.
    We looked at the numbers and naturally did not say a word til the DIs said I bet you are wondering wt.. that is for, Privates? yes sir. bends and thrusts, ready , begin. Served us right for not believing in Santa.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I actually lucked out last Christmas. SOI Graduation was December 20th, and the unit I am at now was on post-deployment/holiday leave, and no one would be here until the first of the year to receive us. So on top of the 10 days of leave and week of Recruiters Assistance I had after boot camp (forced recruiters assistance so that we showed up right before SOI started, but still easy work at home), I got another 10 days at home with my family for Christmas, which was nice, because I certainly won't be home this Christmas. Got to spend my New Years Eve on a 12 hour flight though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

So, good news and bad news. Friend of mine was stationed in Hawaii, loved it. Navy morse intercept operator, CT.

Hawaii is just too expensive to live in. The best place to go on weekends is Waikiki, where you can easily rack up $300+ in a night for cab, drinks, door fees, maybe a hotel room. Thats a lot of money to an E-3.

Also, I was the type of guy who when I was bored or angry during college, would fire up the truck and just go burn gasoline on country roads. I like big open spaces and cornfields. The island of Oahu is about the same size as the county I grew up in, and the county was much easier to leave. I didn't even bother bringing my truck out here, because the military will only pay to ship a vehicle one way, just have some good friends back home taking care of her. And honestly for someone who enjoys changing seasons, endless summer isn't that nice. I have seen the guys from Da Kine Bail Bonds though (Dog the Bounty Hunter's guys).

Pearl Harbor is a nice base from what I've seen. I need to find more time to spend down there and see all the memorials.

My younger bro goes in later this year, that will be 2 of my mom's 3 sons in the Marines. It'll be good for him though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Do you think you will stay in? Or is it way too early to tell?
    I knew I was getting out. Just wanted to go to college, for no special reason and not to study anything in particular, just wanted to go.
    They told me I could go while in,but it is tough, so I got out after four. They said why not stay in for 20 and I gave them the usual Vietnam-Era answer, I am a twenty year man, four in and sixteen out. Not funny to them.

I know a lot of guys that got out after TEN, because it was just changing so much that they could not make it to the 20 yr mark. Kind of a shame but they had to do it, they said. A lot of them. This would have been around 1973 or 1974 etc that area. I was already out on Oct 31, 1967. When I turned 21 I had four years in.
    Making Sgt under four was absolutely unheard of then but around the middle of 1967 a Marine Corps order went around because of Vietnam and they made a bunch of us. So I got E-5 two months before I got out.
    I don't know what a person can expect now, after say, four years in, rank wise? What would it be, Dan?

Depends on the MOS, there are a lot of terminal Lances, who are just doing one enlistment they have decided. 4 year Sgt's do happen in the 0311 field, but you have to be really hot and locked on. My cousin made Sgt. with his re-enlistment package after 4, he's in Comm. Cpl. in 4 is definately do-able, but a lot of people don't try for it, because they just want to get out and don't think the extra pay compensates the extra responsibility of being an NCO.

It is still far too early for me to decide how long I will stay in. It's pretty much guaranteed that I will have 2-3 7 month combat tours in my first four years, and that can change a person a whole lot, so there really is no way for me to say. If it was my 4th year and a big kinetic war with like Iran or N. Korea broke out, I'm pretty certain I'd re-up.

I actually already have my college out of the way, a B.A. from The Ohio State University. I'm kinda an oddball for that one, but its just the way the road went.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

So I think it was just because of Vietnam that they made Sgts under 4, then they must have gone back to what had been normal waiting etc. It must have been just a temporary measure due to the war.
    I never heard the word you and others used to re-up, pump.
    What was your major in college?
    Dan, do they still have what they used to call Variable Reenlistment Bonuses? or was that because of Vietnam too? They offered us, depending on MOS, or because of MOS rather, ten thousand dollars, and this was in 1967, choice of duty station worldwide, next highest paygrade, in return for re-upping for six, not four more years. Looked mighty attractive but I was just too set on going to college as a vague goal.

I majored in history, focusing on the military stuff, and have a minor in criminology. I only went to college for NROTC, had to disenroll from it, and decided to finish school instead of wasting 2 years tuition.

Re-up is just re-enlist, a pump is a trip overseas, usually to the sandbox.

Yup, re-enlistment still varies by MOS and paygrade. Right now grunts are getting pretty good deals too. $40,000 is not unheard of. They also ofere bonuses for extension, so a lot of guys extend to do another pump, and then re-enlist while overseas so the big bonus is tax free.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The sandbox, I never heard of that one. I can see why it is in vogue though.

Yeah, the sandbox, pretty much refers to the whole region. Although it used more for Iraq than Afghanistan.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Any of you ever heard of Marines singing a guy a "hymn" when he said or did something for which you just wanted to make fun of him? Especially at night.
    In the barracks, about forty guys, reading etc whatever. And someone complains about something or the noise or whatever and one guy will holler out hey let's sing him a hymn, and the entire barracks will break into a chorus of Him Him #@&* Him.....do they still do that?

I haven't heard it, but the days of open squad bays are pretty much over. We now get to live in 2-3 man rooms, a lot like a college dorm.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links