USMC Days

This is a discussion on USMC Days within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; These were cubicles, three or four guys per, the walls went up three quarters of the way only. Barracks but comprised of cubicles like offices. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: USMC Days

These were cubicles, three or four guys per, the walls went up three quarters of the way only. Barracks but comprised of cubicles like offices. Those huge open squad bays were at PI and at Lejeune.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

2. Remove Ads

dcb, I had a 5 year contract due to length of mos school. (6492)I made Sgt 2 weeks after my 4 year mark. I'd been a CPL for just under 2 years when I got promoted. I got meritorous CPL. I decided to go to boards because my mos was closed for almost a year. As far as boot camp goes, I went to SD and some DIs do still physically "correct" recruits. Happened once or twice to me. As far as language used, gosh darn was used, but so was every other word.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member

Question In-Box Leave?

Changing focus a tad.

Anyone remember In-Box Leave?

For that matter, does the USMC still have mileage, or geographical limits on Liberty?

In any case, in the '50s & '60s every post had a limit how far you were allowed to go on liberty -- so far for Cinderella, a bit father for 0-hell early, maybe fifty miles to a hundred for weekend, etc.

If you were caught out-of-limits, big problems.

So, let's say you wanted to go a bit out-of-limits and the Top and/or the Lt (or who ever could approve Leave) was OK, they would sign "Leave" Papers to cover you, if caught out-of-limit.

You would have signed Leave papers on you. They would keep their copy in their in-box.

You made it back in the Liberty time-frame, all the copies disappeared and the clerk never got anything to record. OTOH, if anything hit the fan, the papers were moved to the out-box on Monday and you were covered.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I haven't heard it, but the days of open squad bays are pretty much over. We now get to live in 2-3 man rooms, a lot like a college dorm.
    I was with India 3/6 on Geiger (1990) and I believe we were one of the last fleet units still in squad bays. When we got back from Desert Storm we moved into squad bays on Mainside while our BEQ's were being built.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Any of you ever heard of Marines singing a guy a "hymn"
    Sometimes an NCOIC would kick it off when someone complained, "You can go tell it to the Chaplain, or better yet someone the sing chiorboy a Hymn."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    These were cubicles, three or four guys per, the walls went up three quarters of the way only.
    Don't remember the all-in-a-line bays (with things-on-the-springs & junk-on-the-bunk inspections where everything was lined-up with a string from one end of the bay to the other) after Boot, AIT and Schools.

Some places the bays were divided with wall lockers into two or four man cubicle-like areas. However, no wall, even three quarters of the way up.

Then there were "ship board" racks of pipe, canvas, and rope however high they could get them. The attached is from another site. If I can find which box some of my pictures are stored, I try to show some more. BTY -- that was before AC and (if I remember right this was crossing the equator heading to Africa. Nothing to do most of the day but lay in the rack and sweat.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveH; May 24th, 2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add detail about no-AC
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

That pic reminds me of my time aboard the USS Tripoli. Say----is 1982 considered new or old Marines? We still carried C-rats back in those days. D-rats or what are now referred to as MRE's were just an experience in Korea in 1983. Who's ever been up Mount MF with full gear? BTW, that would be in Cali, close to Camp Margarita from Oceanside. 1/5/1

VIP Member
    Any of you ever heard of Marines singing
    Speaking of singing, any know/remember all the lines to, "General Shoup release me let me go...." (sung to the tune of 'Please release me, let me go.)?

On a different note, anyone remember the pre-'65 Soc Trang ops?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Mount MF, I did that when I was in SOI. It was the first time I tried Copenhagen. I figured since I couldn't smoke on a hump, how bad could a dip be? That was one of the worst decisions I ever made.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The hymn thing went like this: When a guy in the barracks or cubicles etc said something that everyone in there could jump on him for, or he was complaining etc someone would holler out HEY let's sing him a hymn. and forty or fifty guys would chant in deep voices, loudly, Him, Him f..... HIM You would have to hear it to appreciate it :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Mount MF, I did that when I was in SOI. It was the first time I tried Copenhagen. I figured since I couldn't smoke on a hump, how bad could a dip be? That was one of the worst decisions I ever made.
    MCT was when I started dipping too. Took me 4 years to quit.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member

Question Service Numbers & Mess Duty

Last night I got to thinking about Service Numbers. Don't know why. Mine just popped into my head.

Am I correct that the Corps has stopped assigning them more or less sequentially when you enlist?

If so, has the practice of using Service Numbers as tie-breakers in the case of same date-of-rank with in a rank disappeared, also?

When I started thinking about the role of tie-breakers, I morphed in thinking about Mess Duty -- especially the week of mess duty et al after the rifle range at PI and at training schools. Ditto Latrine Duty. Not the three days of punishment but the "Send 'x number of' men for 30 days." deals.

Still in play? How handled?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

A couple unanswered questions on here, so I'll ressurrect this.

There are still mileage restrictions on libo, not so much on leave. For libo it depends on how long your pass is and where you are stationed.

No more service numbers, they basically just use your SSN to keep track of you.

SOI gives you two types of freedom during the week, using electronics (cell phones and music players mostly), or using tobacco. And you get to use tobacco more often.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Currently stationed at good ole Lejeune

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links