U.S. Uses Bullets Ill-Suited To New Ways Of War

This is a discussion on U.S. Uses Bullets Ill-Suited To New Ways Of War within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by packinnova At this point I think the media just needs to stay out of it and let the guys on the ground ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: U.S. Uses Bullets Ill-Suited To New Ways Of War

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    At this point I think the media just needs to stay out of it and let the guys on the ground tell you what's working and what isn't.

Then again... If I had my way everytime our guys got into a firefight there'd be craters where the enemy positions used to be. You shoot at us...ok we drop moabs and daisy cutters. Enough of this caliber war nonsense. Thems the rules. You try to kill us... we kill you back and as well as your family, your friends, your neighbors, and flatten your neighborhood. Any questions?

I'm a simple guy. I like the KISS concept. Simple works, guaranteed. Why send 1000 guys with rifles to get shot at all so they can do what can be done with one plane and a bomb the size of a school bus? Oh wait...I hear the "humanitarian" crowd bleeting.
    Packinova for President! I've always wondered why we let guys die on the ground trying to root people out of cover when we could just drop lots and lots of bombs.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just an FYI

The just released JULY issue of "Shooting Illustrated" has a Centerfold article titled "FIGHTING with the 5.56" it addresses this issue.

The same Magazine features the New MSAR STG-556 (Microtech Aug)
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Old news, the same story in the late 60's, hasn't change.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Packinova for President! I've always wondered why we let guys die on the ground trying to root people out of cover when we could just drop lots and lots of bombs.

Have either of you ever called in (or delivered) close air support?

There's a reason the infantry thinks of air as a support weapon, and it's not for "humanitarian" reasons.

Strategic air used in mass destruction is different than air on the tactical level, and has been useful in total war scenarios, but that's an entirely different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Have either of you ever called in (or delivered) close air support?
    Let's just say I know what a CBU-58A/B (cluster bomb) does to personel. It ain't pretty and it ain't nice but it does what's needed to be done!
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_Ring View Post
    Let's just say I know what a CBU-58A/B (cluster bomb) does to personel. It ain't pretty and it ain't nice but it does what's needed to be done!
    It's great stuff, but it doesn't own the ground when it's all over...and the grunts still need to pick through whatever you've blown away and ensure the people you needed dead are actually dead...

Plus, you still need to be down there to call it in. Air can't effectively locate or close with the enemy all on its own, unless you're in a deep fight against a Soviet armored division or a known large static position.

X you are very correct. Nothing will EVER replace the ground pounder. They are the true cutting edge of the sword. Most that have ever served in any branch know this without reserve.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links