West Point ?

This is a discussion on West Point ? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Didn't know where this went so here goes: I was contacted by a future Plebe to the academy whose parents want some FAM training on ...

Thread: West Point ?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

West Point ?

Didn't know where this went so here goes:

I was contacted by a future Plebe to the academy whose parents want some FAM training on specific platforms there son will be using. I was going to do some Basic M4 Training M9 training and possible introduction to Full Auto (Controlled bursts/HK lean ect...) <-- very introductory static Enviorment.

I was going to give this future cadet a little advantage by also introducing him to what ever his drill RIFLE will be.

First question:
    Do WP cadets keep rifles in their rooms? If so which one M16, M1 Garand, M14, 1903? At VMI we had M14's in our rooms. I've got all the semi's covered and I'm pretty confident he could figure out a 1903. But thanks if you can help.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Don't worry about drill. Theirs is very specific, let him learn from them.

Basic operation of M4 and M9 will be good. Best thing he can do is get in shape. Plebe summer is VERY physically and emotionally demanding. High stress environment to see what he can handle. Get a rucksack, 40-60 lb load, and go running.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSniper View Post
    Don't worry about drill. Theirs is very specific, let him learn from them.

Basic operation of M4 and M9 will be good. Best thing he can do is get in shape. Plebe summer is VERY physically and emotionally demanding. High stress environment to see what he can handle. Get a rucksack, 40-60 lb load, and go running.
    I'm not doing drill at all. I just remembered that we were expected to know how to strip a M14 the first day we stepped on campus, myself, my best friend, and one other guy where the only ones that knew how to do it in our company. Believe me drill is well behind me and hes got to suffer through something.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by ExSniper View Post

+1. Plebes fail because they're not in good physical condition.....not because they haven't seen an M4 before.

Running, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups. Those + a good dose of mental toughness will get him through it just fine.

Well the call came in from his grandfather who on the phone said he was a one star, his dad is I think a Col, and there all from the long grey line. Plus the kid is doing volunteer firefighting as an intern right now. From what it sounds like I think hes covered on the physical side.

VIP Member
    Primary training anyone needs for any of the military schools is how to study. If they are not able to do that effectively they will not make it thru their first year, no matter how well they are physically conditioned.
    As far as what rifle is used for drill and training I believe all service academys still use the M14.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As far as what rifle is used for drill and training I believe all service academys still use the M14.
    USAFA actually used M1 Garands with plugged barrels up until the mid-90s, when they switched to rubber-ducky M-16s. (The plugged barrel stems from some bloke in the 70s who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a pencil.) I thought I had recently heard they went back to the M1, but I'm not 100% on that.

I can't speak for Hudson High, but David in FL is spot on in regards to the Blue Zoo.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

don't know much but ask him to do "the rocket" when he gets back. seems every graduate of the USMA i've ever met knows it(and its quite entertaining).
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Links