Off-duty NYC Officer Kills Armed Man

This is a discussion on Off-duty NYC Officer Kills Armed Man within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Off-duty NYC Officer Kills Armed Man...

Thread: Off-duty NYC Officer Kills Armed Man

Off-duty NYC Officer Kills Armed Man

2. Remove Ads

The video does not work for me, nor can I find information at the source site they reference.
    Via other source means I found the following...

As reported by 7Online.com:

Sunday, June 01, 2008 | 6:48 PM

Officer shoots man attacking his family

Police: Officer shoots man attacking his family in Bronx

Eyewitness News

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say an off-duty officer has shot and killed an armed man who grabbed the officer's wife and their 3-year-old daughter in a Bronx elevator.

Police say Carlos Rios followed the officer's 30-year-old wife and the girl onto an apartment building elevator shortly before midnight Saturday. They say Rios grabbed the two from behind as they were getting out, and he showed a gun.

The off-duty officer heard the victims' screams and ran to their aid.

Police say shots were fired, and Rios was hit. Investigators have his gun but haven't determined whether it was fired.

Rios ran from the building but was caught a short distance away. The 47-year-old died soon after.

No telephone number could be found for Rios' upper Manhattan apartment.
    (Copyright 2008 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Source - 7online.com: 7online.com: Police: Officer shoots man attacking his family in Bronx 6/01/08
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    GG

Brass, "still under investigation"

CY or either way
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thank you Dave for that most informative news link.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Another case where a legal handgun stopped a bad guy....police or not, this is a good example of gun's in the right hands.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Another case where a legal handgun stopped a bad guy....police or not, this is a good example of gun's in the right hands.
    +1

However, the will miss the point.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    we don't have all the info here. According to the comments there is a more detailed article at the ny post that mentions $20k. I'll reserve judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    we don't have all the info here. According to the comments there is a more detailed article at the ny post that mentions $20k. I'll reserve judgment.
    As reported by the New York Post:

STICKUP BACKFIRES
    THUG SLAIN BY 20G TARGET'S COP HUBBY

By C.J. SULLIVAN, JAMIE SCHRAM & MURRAY WEISS

June 2, 2008 -- An off-duty Bronx cop shot and killed a man trying to rob the officer's wife of $20,000 in gambling winnings she was holding for a jailed man, police sources told The Post.

Officer Nadin Perez chased the robber through the third-floor hallway of his Bedford Park building and down the stairs Saturday night, firing several shots and wounding the man.

Carlos Rios, 47, who had ambushed the woman and her 3-year-old daughter in the building's elevator, died at Montefiore Hospital.

Rios somehow had learned that the officer's wife, Jeanette, was holding money for a man who had won an illegal lottery patronized by Dominicans but was now in jail, the sources said. The money is now in police hands, the sources said.

It wasn't immediately known how Jeanette knew the jailed man.

Cops said Rios had followed her and her daughter into their building on East 201st Street shortly before midnight.

After stepping into the elevator, Rios and the woman both pressed a button for the same floor.

She asked Rios whom he was visiting, and he said he had made a mistake, and pressed another button.

But when she and her daughter got out, Rios pulled out a 9mm pistol and grabbed them from behind, cops said.

Rios told her to open her apartment door, but she and the girl screamed for help, and her husband, a 10-year NYPD veteran, ran to the rescue.

Witnesses said Perez, 43, sprinted out of his third-floor apartment with nothing but his boxer shorts and 9mm off-duty weapon.

"I saw her go in the elevator," neighbor Orsa Omar said. "The guy was so close to her I thought they were together. I hung out in lobby a while and saw the cop running down the stairs after the man."

Witnesses told cops that Perez identified himself as an officer before firing at Rios.

Rios fled outside onto Perry Street, where he ditched the gun in the unlikeliest of places - the wheel well of the cop's car parked nearby, another source said.

Witnesses said Rios then tried to hide under a parked minivan but was yanked out by cops who responded to the 911 calls.

Rios had only one prior arrest for drunken driving, police sources said.

Perez and his family were taken to St. Barnabas Hospital for evaluation but apparently had no injuries.

His daughter was spotted yesterday playing in a park with a relative.

Officials said Perez fired seven shots. Perez initially told cops that Rios shot at him, but no bullets fired from his gun were found, sources said.

Eleven live rounds were found inside Rios' gun, including one in the chamber.

Neighbor Peter Girvan said Jeanette's screams were "blood curdling."

"All of a sudden, he ran down the stairs, and I saw my neighbor, the cop, chasing him," he said.

"I ran and called 911, and I heard a shot in the hallway. I yelled to my wife to get into the bathtub in case there was a stray bullet.

"Then I heard at least seven more gunshots. I was pretty scared."

"I was standing in the hallway with a few neighbors when the cop came back with his weapon in his hand," Girvan said.

Officials said Perez is assigned to the Midtown South Precinct and is also a Coast Guard veteran.

cj.sullivan@nypost.com

The story can be found at; STICKUP BACKFIRES - New York Post

- Janq

Administrator
    And that my friends, is why it was said to be "still under investigation".
    "Just blame Sixto"

20,000 in winnings from a supposed illegal lottery that a cops wife is holding for somebody else but perp knows they got the money,sounds like Internal Affairs is gonna have a field day with this cop.I'm glad he was armed and stopped the robbery but on the other hand he's one of the privileged few in NY that have the right and means to protect themselves and family from crooks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links