'Creative writing' in arrest reports

This is a discussion on 'Creative writing' in arrest reports within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Indicted Chicago cop describes 'creative writing' in arrest reports - On Deadline - USATODAY.com...

Thread: 'Creative writing' in arrest reports

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

When I did a temp in our telephone reporting section we had a creative writing contest too. One week I won by being the first to use "defenestrated" in a report.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member

We must have had the same teacher

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    When I did a temp in our telephone reporting section we had a creative writing contest too. One week I won by being the first to use "defenestrated" in a report.
    We must have had the same teacher. She taught Western Civilization, and apparently some medieval Prince used that as his preferred approach to disposing of his political enemies.

"Defenestrate".

Greatest. Verb. Ever.

-JT

I'm sorry, that's not Creative Writing. That's corruption. Thats police brutality. That's police theft.

That's a bunch of thugs who got dressed up in a uniform. I hope they enjoy their time in solitary.

Too bad they won't get to see general population.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Interesting thing is that at the end the mayor said that one incident or a few incidents or a string of incidents shouldn’t detract from the Police Force doing its job to serve the people.

Gee, sounds a lot like Europe before WW II

Now ya know why chicago don't want citizens to be armed ,they might be shooting bad guys that turn out to be cops.I like the way when cops break the law they justify it,When you write out a report and sign it you are basically swearing that what you have written is the truth to the best of you're knowledge,when you lie on that report it's a crime.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I'm sorry, that's not Creative Writing. That's corruption. Thats police brutality. That's police theft.

That's a bunch of thugs who got dressed up in a uniform. I hope they enjoy their time in solitary.

Yup. No doubt about it.

"The trade of governing has always been monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of mankind." -- Thomas Paine

Society is a Blessing, but Government is Evil - Thomas Paine - Mises Institute

Mel

PS. I like you, Kerbouchard.
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

Socially, we have an interesting conundrum: we are unwilling to dispense adequate violence to repress violent offenders...but we still want order. I won't agree with what was done, but I know we'll see far more until we turn the clock back.

Socially, they met the demands of their responsibility. Kind of an ugly thought, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Socially, we have an interesting conundrum: we are unwilling to dispense adequate violence to repress violent offenders...but we still want order. I won't agree with what was done, but I know we'll see far more until we turn the clock back.

Socially, they met the demands of their responsibility. Kind of an ugly thought, isn't it?
    hm. I don't agree. They just shifted the violence from the BGs to the "cops". Its like asking the Mafia to keep order. They will do it as far as it affected their own business.

What it all comes down to is the usual tradeoff between security and liberty. We can all choose to live in a perfectly safe 1984 style society, or accept the risk and responsibility of not being subject to all-knowing all-powerful government forces. There is a tradeoff here and I think the balance needs vigilant control and constant adjustments.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

I don't believe we have a conundrum. Police are held to a higher standard. That whole innocent until proven guilty thing.

No, it's not fair. It's not supposed to be. The framers made 3 separate branches on purpose. The person who apprehends you is not allowed to judge you. The person who judges you is not supposed to make the laws.

When one branch of the government begins to usurp it's power, all of the branches suffer. For instance, how many cases were dismissed because the suspects were apprehended by these corrupt cops?

When the police begin to falsify reports because they don't think the judicial system will do it's job, the entire system falls apart. I am supposed to be judged by a jury of my peers and by the evidence submitted against me. If the cops get to make up the evidence as they go along, it kind of hurts my chances of defending myself, huh?

The problem with the under-handed tactics of this police squad, is for you to condone them, you have to assume that they were correct 100% of the time. If they had to falsify evidence to make an arrest stick, then I am not willing to believe that they were correct 100% of the time.

With the gun laws they have in Chicago, if they can't make an arrest stick just because the suspect threw their weapon down, I don't know what to say. You guys don't have fingerprints up there? Or cameras in the cruisers? Or have the police turned them all off so they can do whatever they want?

And Mel, your P.S. kinda freaks me out...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I hate to invoke Godwin's Law here, but didn't the Nazis try to use the
    "I was doing my job and I was told I was doing a good job"
    line before?

Kerbouchard--I tend to agree with you. However, I think you made a typo. I think you meant to say "Police should be held to a higher standard."

No disrespect intended to the honest peace officers out there. Not all of you are as pure as the driven snow.

Cheers,
    Herk

Edited to add--As far as creative writing goes, you can't hold a candle to the guys who write AF performance reports. For example, I had a friend who wrote what he thought to be an honest assessment (not good) of a subordinate's performance. The report was rejected by the commander, so he tweaked it a little. When it went back up, the first letter in each line of a section containing 7 lines formed an acrostic that is a synonym for colostomy bag.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    Kerbouchard & Herknav

+1

In addition to the separation of powers, I also believe that the Sixth Amendment Right of a "public trial, by an impartial jury" and the common law concept "jury nullification" has a place, as another "check" in keeping those in power (and out of touch) from combining of across the "separate" branches and getting too far from the "People." I have read that during Prohibition, juries often nullified alcohol control laws, possibly as often as 60% of the time. This resistance is considered to have contributed to the adoption of the Twenty-first amendment repealing the Eighteenth amendment which established Prohibition.

I am distraught that in some places petty offenses—those punishable by imprisonment for not more than six months—are not covered by the jury requirement. Others seem to have expanded the "star chamber" approach. IMHO, any potential loss of "life or liberty" should carry with it the right of a trial by jury.

I have seen how Europe Legal systems work (and others growing out of the "Napoleonic Code" [a.k.a. Code civil des Français], and I fear we are sliding too much in that direction.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links