OKC police chief wants tighter gun laws - Page 2

OKC police chief wants tighter gun laws

This is a discussion on OKC police chief wants tighter gun laws within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This article change any views? Some of you are using the same illogical argument as the anti's. Baby killed with video game controller - Crime ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This article change any views? Some of you are using the same illogical argument as the anti's.
    Baby killed with video game controller - Crime & courts - MSNBC.com
    Police: Baby killed with video game controller
    Mother's boyfriend accused of murder as 2-year-old dies following beating
    The kid was beaten to death with a video game CONTROLLER! So what if someone breaks into my home, steals my xbox and controllers, and then by chance manages to beat someone to death with the controller in a back alley? You're saying it's my fault for not properly locking up and storing my xbox controller? COME ON FOLKS! It's wrong and you know it. There's no reason to feel any remorse if some bugger steals your firearms and kills someone else with them. THEY DID THE DEED, NOT YOU. They made the conscious decision to kill someone. I'm not responsible for someone elses actions no more than you are responsible for mine if I blow a stop sign on my way to work in the morning and plow a line of school children at the crosswalk.

Everyone acts of their own volition. You can hide your guns, store them as properly as sarah brady sees fit, and put 50 different kinds of locks on them and it's not going to make a bit of difference as to who's at fault if someone still manages to steal them and use them.

How about a fictitional scenario...
    Necessary components:
    • You
    • Your home (apartment, house, doesn't matter)
    • A criminal
    • You have two vehicles one of which is primarily unused
    • You live alone
    • You work 8-10 hours a day on average

Start scenario...You have two vehicles but obviously only have the ability to drive one at a time which means one is staying at home all by it's lonesome.
    You put your spare keys for the SECOND CAR in a dish on a shelf in the kitchen or maybe hang them sheepishly on a coat rack next to the door.
    Someone breaks in while you're at work on a Monday morning and finds the keys. They cruise out of the driveway with grocery bags full of your valuables packed into YOUR second unused car.

Tuesday morning same said burgler is running late for his rendezvous with his next "five-finger discount" and completes a hit and run on an 8 year old at the school bus stop while driving YOUR vehicle.

Who's at fault? No, don't tell me. I know what the answer is: You forgot to properly store and lock your own keys in your own house.

There's no difference between someone stealing your firearms and my last scenario.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    On the flip side...bar owners are held liable if they allow someone to become intoxicated and that person then drives, killing someone. I can see the same argument in a court of law being made with weapons...and losing.

It is a viscous cycle...more violent crimes, more become armed to deter the crime...statistics bare this out. I think there is a real fear amongst the establishment of weapons out of control (regardless of the view that it is people that are out of control...because much easier to control the weapons then the people)

Rick
    I disagree. It's much easier to control the people as of late as many of the posts here allude to.
    • How about car dealers? Are they liable if you roll out of the dealership onto the freeway and nail some itty bitty granny and kill her?
    • What about walmart or target? Are they liable if you use the steak knife you bought there to stab your wife?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I disagree. It's much easier to control the people as of late as many of the posts here allude to.
    • How about car dealers? Are they liable if you roll out of the dealership onto the freeway and nail some itty bitty granny and kill her?
    • What about walmart or target? Are they liable if you use the steak knife you bought there to stab your wife?
    But I wasn't very clear in my post...politics (politicians) will control the weapons before they venture into controlling the people...it is easier because they have an advantage with negative weapon news.

1) Car dealership...perhaps if the argument is made successfully (re: lawyers) that the dealership did not educate/train the new car owner on the particulars of the vehicle

2) Perhaps, just as families from 9/11 are suing the govenment for the box cutters getting through security although they were legal at the time.

All you need is a jury to believe it...

Rick

PIN,

A firearm is not akin to a video game controller.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    How about some tighter GANG control?? I wonder if this guy seriously believes gangbangers are going to pay heed to tighter gun control laws.
    same thing I was wondering. I bet they pay attention to the "no gun" signs too. Ah hell, just take all ammo away, then they'll just beat them to death with baseball bats like the gangs do in Canada. No guns sure hasn't stopped gang killings there.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    So gun control will curb gang violence?This group had a conference because they are opposed to gang violence?Well,I would hate to think they were in FAVOR of gang violence Somehow this reeks of publicity and grandstanding for social and political advance for those who attended the conference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links