Defensive Carry banner

BAD: Deputy Fatally Shot, Another Officer Injured

824 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JonInNY 
#1 ·
MONTEAGLE, Tenn. -- Authorities were searching Thursday for a man accused of shooting a deputy to death and wounding another law enforcement officer, a prosecutor said.

The officers were serving a warrant for probation violation when they were shot before dawn, said Steve Strain, an assistant district attorney general. A Grundy County sheriff's deputy was killed and a Monteagle police officer suffered injuries that weren't life-threatening.

The suspect, Kermit Bryson, 29, was considered armed and dangerous. Authorities believe he is on foot around Monteagle, a town of 1,200 people along Interstate 24 about 35 miles northwest of Chattanooga.

Bryson was named to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's 10 Most Wanted.

"I think people need to be concerned," Strain said. "He shot a police officer and shot at another police officer."

Bryson was described as a white man, 5 feet 7 inches tall and 130 pounds, with green eyes and several tattoos. His criminal record includes convictions for theft, burglary and a jail escape in 2001.

The officers' identities were not released. However, the mayor of Monteagle said the slain deputy completed his police training only two weeks ago. The deputy who was killed was also the father of five young children.

Bryson's former mother-in-law, Marcia Crowe, said she was surprised to learn he was wanted in a slaying. Bryson was married to her daughter for about a year before they divorced several years ago.

"I saw it on TV and I just couldn't believe it," Crowe, a 57-year-old from Dayton, said in a phone interview. "I expected him to steal, do dope and stuff like that, but I never thought he would kill someone."

Crowe said her daughter and Bryson have a 10-year-old daughter.

"He was kind and sweet to his child," she said.

Federal agents and local SWAT teams were on the scene Thursday morning with tracking dogs and helicopters. Officers wore bulletproof vests and carried rifles.

The area where police are searching is rugged, mountainous terrain at the southern end of the Cumberland Plateau.

Probation officials said the warrant the officers were trying to serve was issued because Bryson failed drug screens and violated curfew while on probation for a 2007 felony marijuana possession charge.

Strain said authorities often serve arrest warrants early in the morning because they expect suspects to be asleep.

Bryson was enrolled in a community corrections program, which the probation officials described as more intensive than state probation and required him to meet with his probation officer twice a month.

Prayers to the fallen officers family and fellow deputies.
I hope they get this crud-bucket quickly.

See less See more
#2 ·
I heard of this on the news this morning...only about fifty miles or so down the road from me.

Prayers offered for the family and friends of the fallen officer and for the rapid recovery for the injured one.

I hope the perpetrator receives swift justice. :mad:

#3 ·
Horrible.

Best wishes for the families of the dead and wounded LEOs, and prayers for their recovery and healing.

For his brother and sister LEOs out there looking for the killer, best wishes for good hunting.....

#4 ·
I'm telling you three felonies and then execute them if you get three felonies INHO you are not willing to be rehabilitated,this guys record clearly shows that and instead of going back to jail he decides to kill a cop and wound another,not to mention felon in possession of a firearm,I like MIL response I expected him to steal do dope and stuff like thatt but not kill,like those kinda of things are okay to do

#7 ·
Suspected killer in Tenn. caught after manhunt By BILL POOVEY, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 25 minutes ago

A man suspected of killing a deputy sheriff and wounding another was caught Thursday night after he survived shooting himself at the end of a daylong manhunt, authorities said.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation director Mark Gwyn said agents found Kermit Bryson behind his girlfriend's house and negotiated with him for about 20 minutes before he shot himself in the head.

Bryson, 29, a tattoo artist, was transported by helicopter to a Chattanooga hospital. A spokeswoman at Erlanger Hospital said information on Bryson's condition wouldn't immediately be released.

Federal, state and local authorities launched an "all-out manhunt" for the suspect after the early morning shooting death of Grundy County sheriff's deputy Shane Tate, 28.

Gwyn said officers did not fire any shots during the negotiations in Monteagle, a town of 1,200 people along Interstate 24 about 35 miles northwest of Chattanooga.

"We gave it the best effort we could," Gwyn said.

Tate died at a mobile home where he was trying to take Bryson into custody on a probation violation warrant.

Officers had been looking for Bryson for six to eight months when they found him about 3 a.m. Thursday at a mobile home in Monteagle.

Shots were fired and Grundy County Sheriff's Deputy Shane Tate, 28, died at the scene, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Mark Gwyn said.

Monteagle Police Officer Brian Malhoit was grazed by a bullet but not seriously hurt. A reserve deputy also at the scene wasn't injured.

___
Let's pray he don't make it and save the taxpayers a buncha money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.