D-Day, June 6th, 1944 - Page 2

D-Day, June 6th, 1944

This is a discussion on D-Day, June 6th, 1944 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rmac58 Saw something on the History channel, no one in German command has balls enough to wake Hitler and tell him an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-Day, June 6th, 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    Saw something on the History channel, no one in German command has balls enough to wake Hitler and tell him an attack was eminent, let's thank Rommel's wife for having a 50th birthday party on June 5, that's where Erwin was instead of planning a counter offensive.
    There was soooo much that went wrong for the Germans, and quite a bit that went wrong for the Allies too!
    Many have wondered if the hand of 'devine providence' wasn't at work???

I've been reading about the invasion and WW II for years and it seems I find something new every time I pick up a book!

Yeah, we need a salute smiley...

Lead Moderator
    I always thought one of the most ironic things to come out of D-day is the story that the news media pooled almost all the film from the first day to get it back to England...... And the boat was sunk! That's supposedly why when you see pictures from 6/6, you always see the same stuff!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    We sometimes forget the sacrifice that our troops have made for our freedom in this country. God bless them and the USA.
    (We know that the French have...)

I salute those brave U.S. troops...it is because of them that the French don't speak German...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    My Uncle ran a LCI (landing craft Infantry) onto Juno Beach. He didn't want to talk about it much sadly.

My Uncle ran a LCI (landing craft Infantry) onto Juno Beach. He didn't want to talk about it much sadly.

The best friend i ever had was in the first wave at Juno Beach. George Berry was from NY, he went to Canada and signed up in 1939: He was in the Royal Winnipeg rifles and was wounded five times in WWII.

After WWII was over George had to sign up for the US draft. He got holy hell from an old lady at the draft board who demanded: "Where were you when your country needed you."

George, a master of understatement, replied: "Vacationing in North Africa, southern France and Germany." George later joined the US Army and retired in 1976 as an EOD NCO.

RIP George

VIP Member

Glad you brought this up

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The best friend i ever had was in the first wave at Juno Beach. George Berry was from NY, he went to Canada and signed up in 1939: He was in the Royal Winnipeg rifles and was wounded five times in WWII.

After WWII was over George had to sign up for the US draft. He got holy hell from an old lady at the draft board who demanded: "Where were you when your country needed you."

George, a master of understatement, replied: "Vacationing in North Africa, southern France and Germany." George later joined the US Army and retired in 1976 as an EOD NCO.
    RIP George
    I think it is not very well known that many Americans enlisted in the Canadian or UK military BEFORE the US was dragged in.

I'm really surprised our government (the way it is today anyhow) didn't find some way to make that illegal. My gosh, we can't have people joining foreign forces. Take their citizenship. (Intended to be sarcasm, just in case someone thinks that is meant seriously.)

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post

RIP George

Many Americans served honourable in the Canadian and British Forces, they saw the threat and did not wait for the politicians to get motivated. Having said that FDR helped the Commonwealth as much as he could prior to Dec 7th, in fact our armoured forces was started using ex-US army 6 ton tanks sold as "scrap"

D-Day changed the face of warfare, not so much as a battle, but it brought logistics into the forefront of modern warfare, the Mulberry harbours, the oil pipeline they started laying as soon as the first wave of infantry landed.

It's a shame the US Army did not make better use of the "Funnies" (specialized tanks) it would have likely reduced the number of US causalities in the first hours.

A salute to all that served that day, even in the films you can hear the bullets whipping by, it took a lots of guts to sprint across those beaches.

Love the response to the lady on the draft board!!

At 40 and having joined the Army in 1985, I am the oldtimer now, but watching the films of WWII makes me appreciate those true heroes. As a funny side note, Supposedly the word "Hooah" comes from the Rangers on DDay when told after landing on the beach that they had to scale the cliffs to gain control of the nazi artillery. There response.......

"Who Us?"
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links