Defensive Carry banner

D-Day, June 6th, 1944

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Army22rpr 
#1 ·
Today is the anniversary of D-Day; the invasion of France. Had the pleasure of knowing dozens of troops who landed on Omaha Beach, Utah Beach and Juno Beach. My first cousin died at St. Mere Eglise on D-Day.

To The Greatest Generation.

May God Bless Our Fine Troops

#3 ·
+1.

Now, let "The Longest Day" marathon begin! :yup:

#18 ·
We sometimes forget the sacrifice that our troops have made for our freedom in this country. God bless them and the USA.:usaribbon:
(We know that the French have...:hand1:)

I salute those brave U.S. troops...it is because of them that the French don't speak German...:yup:

#6 ·
God bless our troops, and God bless America!

#7 · (Edited)
My late grandfather was a Captain with the Canadian Forces as an artillary drill instructor with the Canadian Army staging in Halifax Nova Scotia leading up to D-Day.

To his credit he did not take part in the actual invasion(heart murmor), but he remained behind to train those that followed.

When I was younger he told me some pretty awesome tales of troops from both Canada & the U.S. massing and most of the entire D-Day invasion force at anchor in Halifax harbor. He was amazed that ships could be seen far into the horizon till sky met the sea.

I for one am extremely humbled by the shear tenacity and valor that his generation put forward to protect and ensure the freedoms that we enjoy and honestly......take for granted.

I for one............ salute them all!:35:

#10 ·
May the LORD always bless the men and women that have and are currently serving this great nation. Thanks to all our service personnel. :congrats::congrats::congrats:

#14 ·
After watching many films of the landings on D-Day all I got to say is that had to of been the scariest thing those guys ever went thru and if they survived it the rest of their lives were a piece of cake

#15 ·
Saw something on the History channel, no one in German command has balls enough to wake Hitler and tell him an attack was eminent, let's thank Rommel's wife for having a 50th birthday party on June 5, that's where Erwin was instead of planning a counter offensive.

Is there a salute smilie?

#16 ·
Saw something on the History channel, no one in German command has balls enough to wake Hitler and tell him an attack was eminent, let's thank Rommel's wife for having a 50th birthday party on June 5, that's where Erwin was instead of planning a counter offensive.
There was soooo much that went wrong for the Germans, and quite a bit that went wrong for the Allies too!
Many have wondered if the hand of 'devine providence' wasn't at work???

I've been reading about the invasion and WW II for years and it seems I find something new every time I pick up a book!

Yeah, we need a salute smiley...:smile:

#17 ·
I always thought one of the most ironic things to come out of D-day is the story that the news media pooled almost all the film from the first day to get it back to England...... And the boat was sunk! That's supposedly why when you see pictures from 6/6, you always see the same stuff!

#20 ·
My Uncle ran a LCI (landing craft Infantry) onto Juno Beach. He didn't want to talk about it much sadly.

The best friend i ever had was in the first wave at Juno Beach. George Berry was from NY, he went to Canada and signed up in 1939: He was in the Royal Winnipeg rifles and was wounded five times in WWII.

After WWII was over George had to sign up for the US draft. He got holy hell from an old lady at the draft board who demanded: "Where were you when your country needed you."

George, a master of understatement, replied: "Vacationing in North Africa, southern France and Germany." George later joined the US Army and retired in 1976 as an EOD NCO.

RIP George

#21 ·
Glad you brought this up

The best friend i ever had was in the first wave at Juno Beach. George Berry was from NY, he went to Canada and signed up in 1939: He was in the Royal Winnipeg rifles and was wounded five times in WWII.

After WWII was over George had to sign up for the US draft. He got holy hell from an old lady at the draft board who demanded: "Where were you when your country needed you."

George, a master of understatement, replied: "Vacationing in North Africa, southern France and Germany." George later joined the US Army and retired in 1976 as an EOD NCO.
RIP George
I think it is not very well known that many Americans enlisted in the Canadian or UK military BEFORE the US was dragged in.

I'm really surprised our government (the way it is today anyhow) didn't find some way to make that illegal. My gosh, we can't have people joining foreign forces. Take their citizenship. (Intended to be sarcasm, just in case someone thinks that is meant seriously.)

#23 ·
At 40 and having joined the Army in 1985, I am the oldtimer now, but watching the films of WWII makes me appreciate those true heroes. As a funny side note, Supposedly the word "Hooah" comes from the Rangers on DDay when told after landing on the beach that they had to scale the cliffs to gain control of the nazi artillery. There response.......

"Who Us?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.