WWII: Why we fought

This is a discussion on WWII: Why we fought within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by LongRider That went on for eight years. With the Japanese telling the US they had no idea what they doing supporting the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWII: Why we fought

VIP Member

To portray the Jap role as anti-communist is misguided

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    That went on for eight years. With the Japanese telling the US they had no idea what they doing supporting the communist party in China. It was that involvement that lead to Pearl Harbor. The Japanese felt they had no choice but to sink the fleet providing the Communist with arms medical supplies and "advisors". With no concept of the industrial power of the US. The greatest single strategic move the Chinese Communist made was to hold the Japanese off in Hong Kong making the war UK's problem. We ended up creating the largest threat to US security that exist to this day. If you doubt that try to buy a product in the US not made in China or look at the money we owe China. Personally I think all the "accidents" we have with Chinese products are deliberate covert attacks by China. We have not yet begun to really regret how much we have helped China but our children will.
    To portray Japanese motives in pre-wwII China as anti-communist, is at best a misunderstanding of what was going on.

Japan's motive was Imperialism; nothing more and nothing less. They wished to control all of Asia from Burma to New Guinea, and North. They would have had Indonesia and Australia too if they were able to pull it off. In plain language, their leaders were BGs.

Their big mistake was that "imperialism" had gone out of fashion in the international community by the early 1920s, with the creation of The League of Nations. Prior to the end of WWI, everyone else was doing exactly what Japan wanted to do---conquer and exploit.

They were 40 years late on the world stage with their plan. It had nothing to do with whatever nascent Chinese communism might have existed before Japan invaded China---almost a decade before the US got involved.

As for the last comment about Chinese ambitions, they were enabled by none other than our president, Richard Nixon. ANd further enabled by none other than our President G. W. I. And still further enabled by
    Mr. Clinton and the corporate moguls at Walmart. Ross Perot was about the only person in the business community to call free trade what it is---a big sucking sound.

2. Remove Ads

Japan's motive was Imperialism; nothing more and nothing less. They wished to control all of Asia from Burma to New Guinea, and North. They would have had Indonesia and Australia too if they were able to pull it off. In plain language, their leaders were BGs.

The Japanese called it the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

VIP Member

Conquest by any other name is still conquest

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The Japanese called it the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.
    Conquest by any other name is still conquest. They weren't interested in the prosperity of anyone but themselves.

The idea was to plunder the natural resources and labor of the places they conquered. It was plain old 18-19th century European imperialism a few decades too late, and with a twist of additional barbarism.

Also, there was no benevolence in their actions. Co-prosperity suggests that both sides gained something, and that was not Japan's intent.

The term was mere propaganda to make their bad behavior on the world stage look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    European imperialism a few decades too late, and with a twist of additional barbarism.
    Additional barbarism? We really don't want to go there do we? Back to my original statement. Japan used to extend to what is now the coast of China it WAS the communist threat and China attempting to take over what was then Japan a part of centuries old conflict, that was the kick off point. Not condoning the subsequent atrocious at all or diminishing the heroic deeds of our warriors in any way. Just that there is more there than what I was taught in school. An example of the victors writing the history books
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member

We disagree and won't be able to settle it

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Additional barbarism? Japan used to extend to what is now the coast of China it WAS the communist threat and China attempting to take over what was then Japan a part of centuries old conflict, that was the kick off point.
    I think your understanding of the situation back in the 1930s is flawed.

We disagree and won't be able to settle it here.

Blaming Japan's invasion of China on some presumed fear of communism in China, even if true-which I don't think it is, makes Japan look like it might possibly have had good motives for their attack on China and the perfidy and barbarism which followed. They didn't. Their motives were the motives of a bad guy, greed and love of violence.

They (Japan) had no excuse, and needed no excuse. Like the BG on the street corner who hits you up side the head and steals your wallet tells the cops, "It was his fault, he looked at me and didn't show respect. I had to hit him and steal his wallet, otherwise I wouldn't be a man."

Japan was a BG on the world stage. They needed no ideological excuse. And anti-communism sure as heck wasn't on their agenda--except maybe, if at all, as an excuse.

So what excuse did they have for attacking Burma, Indochina, Indonesia, The Phillipines, Australia (they tried), The US. Were they fighting communism in all of these places? Of course not. They were engaged in an Imperialistic endeavor which was driven by fear and greed, and yes, a sort of racism-- a belief that the Japanese were superior to other asians.

And yes, they added a bit of barbarism beyond what was usual for the European powers in their imperial endeavors. They don't call it the rape of Nanking for nothing. And their treatment of prisoners was beyond the pale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links