LE dept approved weapons - Page 2

LE dept approved weapons

This is a discussion on LE dept approved weapons within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I was kinda wondering about that myself... Anyway, good move on the 17. Now you can keep your individual L.E. purchase ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LE dept approved weapons

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was kinda wondering about that myself...

Anyway, good move on the 17. Now you can keep your individual L.E. purchase from Glock to get that 26 or SF. If you have to pay for your own gun for duty use, Glock is probably the way to go. Trust me, if you are doing your job correctly, it will get beat to hell and back. The Glocks are the least expensive gun I would consider for duty use, I hate it when a new Sig gets beat up. The Glocks start life out ugly, so its no big deal when they end their service life ugly. Just like a junkyard dog... you gotta love 'em.

Parts and service are easy, every decent gun shop in the country carries Glock parts, and there are more Glock armorers per capita than any other brand. It sucks when your duty gun goes down...A Glock will be up and running again in a mater of minutes.
    yeah, I thought so too, worst case....I get to add a 17 to the collection LOL
    and best case....if something were to happen to my primary duty weapon I have the 17 as a spare duty weapon
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Glock 21 change barrel ????? don't get it >CHEIF GETTING KICK BACKS!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Small town chief risking a career for a few bucks on what... one or two barrels a year? Highly unlikely and a silly notion.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Naw, more likely a superstitious range master. On our department, Ruger revolvers are allowed, but not Ruger semiautos. However, the Kel-tec P3AT is authorized. Go figure. Sometimes, if the powers that be decide that they don't like a certain brand, then that brand is not on the list, no matter how illogical the reasoning may be.

Our department issues Glock 22's to patrol, 23's to detectives. Backup gun calibers allowed include .380, 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP. We used to be allowed 10mm and .44 special also, but hardly anyone chose them, and with ammo costs soaring for the department, they took them off of the list.

If your department issues Glock 17's, then your best bet is to stay with that pistol and get yourself a G26 for off duty. I wish my department would go to G17's. If I can't get it done with 52 rounds of 9mm+P, then it wasn't meant to be done with a pistol. I shoot a lot on my own, and 9mm is a good bit less expensive than .40!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Let me say up front that I am not a Glock fan. That being said, if the Glock is what you like go for it, but the way I look at it, this is what you are betting you life on every day. You are now entering a career where you are much more likely to use that tool of your trade than Al Bundy the shoe salesman. I know Sig has an individual officer program that is supposed to have great prices, I imagine most manufacturers do. Get what is on the list that you know works best for you. This is not the place to go cheap. If that means brown bagging it for a couple of weeks instead of your favorite restaurant for lunch, I think it would be money well spent.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    64zebra First off both congrats and sympathy on being accepted to the academy LOL . In years past i have worked with APD , Potter and Randal countys on some cases that spanned state lines and all were great to work with so your getting a good bunch going in , dont forget that the legendary Skeeter Skelton is an APD alumni also lol . I was in fact hired there in the early 80s but took a job closer to my area at a slight cut in pay .
    As to the barrel replacement on the glock .. My bet is that there is no great mystery to it , IMHO they buy lead practice ammo in .45 and lead and polygonal rifled bores are not a good mix , thus you replace the barrel with a conventional rifled quality barrel to save the dept $$ on training ammo . Anyway best to you on the new job , and be sure and pick up something on the dept group buy even if your not going to carry it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    uhhhh.....no
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Naw, more likely a superstitious range master. On our department, Ruger revolvers are allowed, but not Ruger semiautos. However, the Kel-tec P3AT is authorized. Go figure. Sometimes, if the powers that be decide that they don't like a certain brand, then that brand is not on the list, no matter how illogical the reasoning may be.

Our department issues Glock 22's to patrol, 23's to detectives. Backup gun calibers allowed include .380, 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP. We used to be allowed 10mm and .44 special also, but hardly anyone chose them, and with ammo costs soaring for the department, they took them off of the list.

If your department issues Glock 17's, then your best bet is to stay with that pistol and get yourself a G26 for off duty. I wish my department would go to G17's. If I can't get it done with 52 rounds of 9mm+P, then it wasn't meant to be done with a pistol. I shoot a lot on my own, and 9mm is a good bit less expensive than .40!
    I got the 17 since we had to have something to wear on our duty belt during the day at the academy, when it comes time to shoot/qualify I'll get what I really want

I've heard its all the rangemasters decision/recommendations on weapons, I'm guessing thats the case
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Let me say up front that I am not a Glock fan. That being said, if the Glock is what you like go for it, but the way I look at it, this is what you are betting you life on every day. You are now entering a career where you are much more likely to use that tool of your trade than Al Bundy the shoe salesman. I know Sig has an individual officer program that is supposed to have great prices, I imagine most manufacturers do. Get what is on the list that you know works best for you. This is not the place to go cheap. If that means brown bagging it for a couple of weeks instead of your favorite restaurant for lunch, I think it would be money well spent.
    yep, I'm not skimping on the weapon, Its gonna be Glock 21sf or a new HK USP 45
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    64zebra First off both congrats and sympathy on being accepted to the academy LOL . In years past i have worked with APD , Potter and Randal countys on some cases that spanned state lines and all were great to work with so your getting a good bunch going in , dont forget that the legendary Skeeter Skelton is an APD alumni also lol . I was in fact hired there in the early 80s but took a job closer to my area at a slight cut in pay .
    As to the barrel replacement on the glock .. My bet is that there is no great mystery to it , IMHO they buy lead practice ammo in .45 and lead and polygonal rifled bores are not a good mix , thus you replace the barrel with a conventional rifled quality barrel to save the dept $$ on training ammo . Anyway best to you on the new job , and be sure and pick up something on the dept group buy even if your not going to carry it lol .
    thanks Redneck, I've known a bunch of good guys at APD and Randall SO for a few years
    I don't know about the lead/unjacketed rounds, it may just be the rangemaster being protective, its his decision to not allow ANY .40S&W weapons...period, I'm sure I'll find out when I talk to someone this week

you need to PM me your real name and what year you were hired so I can look at your class picture in the hall LOL
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

CHEIF GETTING KICK BACKS!!
    NO it just is not happening here , in fact i will go out on a limb and state that no one at apd is getting any kickback for their 120 or so officers when it comes to selection of personal firearms . APD works hard to be a professional dept that could benifit dallas / ft worth. To a large degree it succeeds and it does at a lot less cost to the taxpayer of tx .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

you need to PM me your real name and what year you were hired so I can look at your class picture in the hall LOL
    Its 81 but i am not there for the class pic . sorry.

VIP Member
    NO it just is not happening here , in fact i will go out on a limb and state that no one at apd is getting any kickback for their 120 or so officers when it comes to selection of personal firearms . APD works hard to be a professional dept that could benifit dallas / ft worth. To a large degree it succeeds and it does at a lot less cost to the taxpayer of tx .
    Redneck.....302 officers in 2006, I'm not sure what the exact number is now, the chief came in class today and said they were going to be adding 50 additional officers overall during the next 3 years

I guarantee there are no kickbacks for anything, there are not that many officers using G21, and thats the only weapon requiring a non-original barrel
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Its 81 but i am not there for the class pic . sorry.
    ahhh, you didn't have to wear those ugly baby blue uniforms with dark blue pockets/trim
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

LOL yea i did one week of the " blues " and frankly the shirt was less than the pants they put us inn . however as stated i escaped lol . I did come back later and work with APD and found them top notch , this is not about admin but about the officers you work with . No matter where you come from as an officer APD can and will work your case . Be it narc or running down details on a homicide, they will do it and do it and do iit well . As the " go to " guy on tough cases it amazes me how well apd does given the budget . There are good folk who wan t ta clear a case . and there are good patrol officers who care enough to pass SOME calls up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links