LE dept approved weapons

This is a discussion on LE dept approved weapons within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; spoke with someone today the barrel policy was put in place a few years ago when more kaboom problems were happening with the 40/45 caliber ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LE dept approved weapons

VIP Member
    spoke with someone today
    the barrel policy was put in place a few years ago when more kaboom problems were happening with the 40/45 caliber glocks nation-wide
    the man I spoke to said that they don't see those problems anymore but I didn't ask why the policy hadn't been eliminated
    they do not use lead (unjacketed) rounds at the range
    I guess I'll know more as it gets closer to me buying the 21
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array Defensor Pacis's Avatar

I agree . . . w/Redneck

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    64zebra First off both congrats and sympathy on being accepted to the academy LOL . In years past i have worked with APD , Potter and Randal countys on some cases that spanned state lines and all were great to work with so your getting a good bunch going in , dont forget that the legendary Skeeter Skelton is an APD alumni also lol . I was in fact hired there in the early 80s but took a job closer to my area at a slight cut in pay .
    As to the barrel replacement on the glock .. My bet is that there is no great mystery to it , IMHO they buy lead practice ammo in .45 and lead and polygonal rifled bores are not a good mix , thus you replace the barrel with a conventional rifled quality barrel to save the dept $$ on training ammo . Anyway best to you on the new job , and be sure and pick up something on the dept group buy even if your not going to carry it lol .
    I agree with Redneck on his suggestion regarding the demand for barrel replacement for the G21/G30. I would assume that the department has selected the 9mm as standard issue as it is a capable round not to mention that 9mm is cheaper than 40 S&W and .45ACP. Glock will not warranty their guns if reloaded ammo or leaded ammo is used. Also, ammo has to be jacketed. The lead build up that Redneck mentioned is, I'm guessing, the reason for the barrel change. Reloads and leaded ammo will be cheaper when shooting .45 ACP.

Good call Redneck!

Regards,

Defensor Pacis
    Evil triumphs when good people do nothing!

Train Hard, Fight Easy!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor Pacis View Post
    I agree with Redneck on his suggestion regarding the demand for barrel replacement for the G21/G30. I would assume that the department has selected the 9mm as standard issue as it is a capable round not to mention that 9mm is cheaper than 40 S&W and .45ACP. Glock will not warranty their guns if reloaded ammo or leaded ammo is used. Also, ammo has to be jacketed. The lead build up that Redneck mentioned is, I'm guessing, the reason for the barrel change. Reloads and leaded ammo will be cheaper when shooting .45 ACP.

Good call Redneck!

Regards,

Defensor Pacis

I understand all that, believe me......however....the 9mm has the same style barrel as the 45, 40, and every other caliber, that issue can't be the case with the 45 barrel policy, its more related to kabooms that were seen with the early 21 models (got that info via the Quartermaster); I'm supposed to get clarification from the range master about the barrel policy soon, to see if its still in effect for a new model 21 or if its not needed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty

Great agency, I came real close to leaving my agency and joining you in this class(pulled my application in May). I have a awesome working relationship with APD, mainly SWAT and the Training Dept, I have been an adjunct instructor for them and the SWAT Team Commander is an adjunct instructor for my agency. They keep good records on all their shootings and have chosen those calibers for good reasons and they issue quality ammo. I was under the impression that you have to purchase your firearm (even the Glock 17), but the Officer's Assoc. will loan you the funds and deduct from your pay. I have a Glock 19 and would not feel undergunned at all carrying it on duty, infact one of my friends on the APD SWAT put someone down with his Glock 19(he carries it when working UC, Glock 21 for SWAT duties)and issue ammo, it works.

Brothers agentcy went too (G21) From glock 10mm. They said 10mm too exspencive to Qualify/practice &Shoot DID NOT have to change barrel about eight year ago.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coltm4223 View Post
    Great agency, I came real close to leaving my agency and joining you in this class(pulled my application in May). I have a awesome working relationship with APD, mainly SWAT and the Training Dept, I have been an adjunct instructor for them and the SWAT Team Commander is an adjunct instructor for my agency. They keep good records on all their shootings and have chosen those calibers for good reasons and they issue quality ammo. I was under the impression that you have to purchase your firearm (even the Glock 17), but the Officer's Assoc. will loan you the funds and deduct from your pay. I have a Glock 19 and would not feel undergunned at all carrying it on duty, infact one of my friends on the APD SWAT put someone down with his Glock 19(he carries it when working UC, Glock 21 for SWAT duties)and issue ammo, it works.
    cool
    yes we have to purchase weapons, dept gets us a G17 at a real good price
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

To me it sounds like more Officers carry the Glock 9 mm's at APD.

If that's the case then that's what I'd carry. Also, the magazines from your Glock 17 will fit the 26. That's a big plus in my book. Don't get me wrong, I like the 45 and the Officer being able to choose what he or she wants to carry, within reason, but I wouldn't want to be the only guy packing a 41 Magnum if everyone else packed a 38.

Biker

VIP Member
    well thats what I'm going to do initially anyway, I found out that the barrel change is required for Glock 45s so I'd rather spend the money on a HK than on the new Glock and a replacement barrel, so I'll stick with the 17 and a 26 BUG for now.
    I've seen that there is a pretty good mixture of Glock 9 and 45, HK 9 and 45, not too many of the others
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

I'd go with a G21 and KKM barrel if allowed.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Yeah we go with G-22's or G-23's. Those of us with G-23's have to carry G-22 mags for interchangeability if someone runs out of ammo.

That's the theory.... ask any deputy if they'd throw you a spare mag in a firefight and they'll tell you to keep your head down!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I'd go with a G21 and KKM barrel if allowed.
    still waiting on word about what barrels are approved
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

I work for a large agency in the Midwest that is located in a rather liberal city. That said, we are issued Glock 22's. That is what everyone carries, except for our SWAT team which carries Sig P226s in .40cal. We cannot carry BUG and off-duty (until about 1 month ago) we could carry nothing but Glocks. I would welcome the opportunity to carry whatever I wanted. It might still be a Glock but it would be of the .45ACP persuasion.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links