LE dept approved weapons

This is a discussion on LE dept approved weapons within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I started the academy June 5th. We got our manuals, books, etc, and we found out the dept will purchase Glock 17s for us ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LE dept approved weapons

VIP Member

LE dept approved weapons

So I started the academy June 5th. We got our manuals, books, etc, and we found out the dept will purchase Glock 17s for us at a great deal ($445 w/night sights/3mags).
    The dept policy is 9mm or 45acp H&K, S&W, Sig, or Glock. If we want to use Glock 45 we have to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson or other approved barrel (I don't yet know which others are approved).
    Have any of you LEOs had this issue with your department?

I'm bummed....I was going to add a G21sf to my "collection", I now have to consider the $$$ of the barrel purchase/fitting and compare that to getting a new HK USP since I've had one of those for 10 years and feel comfortable with it (carried G30 concealed last 3 years).
    Either way, I'm getting the G17 to add to the collection

BUG policy is no bigger than .38 or 9mm, 3 1/2" barrel max, so I'm going to get another G26 with night sights (wife wouldn't take too kindly if I took hers for my backup lol)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Forgive me for butting in. Have you checked around local dealers to see what you personally would be able to purchase these firearms for individually? I mean a personal transaction between you and the gun shop with a LEO discount instead of through your department? I'm thinking I bought a G17 limited edition through GSSF years ago for $385 without night sights and only two magazines. What is the specific purpose of getting an aftermarket replacement barrel for the Glocks? I didn't figure Glock would warranty their pistols with aftermarket parts installed. I wouldn't figure on a replacement barrel costing you over $100-$150 though for the Glock. What kind of deal can your department get on the H&K anyway? Personally, having all the Glocks and a nice SIG, I wouldn't mind having an H&K 45acp, but I know the prices. As far as Wilson replacement barrels if you wanted to go that route---check with them personally again, as an LEO private purchase and ask about being discounted. You should have alot of job benefits with or without your departments backing just for being LEO and I'm sure most manufacturers see it the same way. All you'd have to do is ask, and it never hurts to ask. At least one thing's for sure---you'll have another G26 anyway, and that's nice.
    So--you have to purchase your on duty carry pistol AND you have a choice of what you carry on duty? I always thought department issue no cost to the officer. Interesting. Good luck in your decision making. Good luck at the academy.

I always thought most Police Dept furnished you're guns and equipment kinda hard to throw a mag of ammo to you're partner if he's got a different wepon/calibre,but I also know of smaller Depts. that require you to furnish all you're belt gear and gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Forgive me for butting in. Have you checked around local dealers to see what you personally would be able to purchase these firearms for individually? I mean a personal transaction between you and the gun shop with a LEO discount instead of through your department? I'm thinking I bought a G17 limited edition through GSSF years ago for $385 without night sights and only two magazines. What is the specific purpose of getting an aftermarket replacement barrel for the Glocks? I didn't figure Glock would warranty their pistols with aftermarket parts installed. I wouldn't figure on a replacement barrel costing you over $100-$150 though for the Glock. What kind of deal can your department get on the H&K anyway? Personally, having all the Glocks and a nice SIG, I wouldn't mind having an H&K 45acp, but I know the prices. As far as Wilson replacement barrels if you wanted to go that route---check with them personally again, as an LEO private purchase and ask about being discounted. You should have alot of job benefits with or without your departments backing just for being LEO and I'm sure most manufacturers see it the same way. All you'd have to do is ask, and it never hurts to ask. At least one thing's for sure---you'll have another G26 anyway, and that's nice.
    So--you have to purchase your on duty carry pistol AND you have a choice of what you carry on duty? I always thought department issue no cost to the officer. Interesting. Good luck in your decision making. Good luck at the academy.
    hey, you're not butting in

Have you checked around local dealers to see what you personally would be able to purchase these firearms for individually? I mean a personal transaction between you and the gun shop with a LEO discount instead of through your department? I'm thinking I bought a G17 limited edition through GSSF years ago for $385 without night sights and only two magazines.
    no, didn't have time, had to turn in form to buy the 17, we get the 17 at $445 with night sights/3 mags, and they payroll deduct, no interest, helps me since I dont have that cash available at the moment, that price is way less than any I've seen in town (G17 without night sights/2 mags is around $500 everywhere I've seen) I can look at another option after graduation; we had to have something quickly since we have to wear duty belt with gear, sidearm, mags, etc everyday at the academy, pistol stays at PD in our lockers, so I didn't want to leave my HK45 up there all the time and not have it in my bedside safe

What is the specific purpose of getting an aftermarket replacement barrel for the Glocks? I didn't figure Glock would warranty their pistols with aftermarket parts installed. I wouldn't figure on a replacement barrel costing you over $100-$150 though for the Glock.
    thats what I posted the question for, to see if any other agencies had this policy and why, I'm sure I can find out why next week but I wanted to pose the question here, as for the warranty...I don't know about that, I do know that if it does void then I won't go with the 21
    I priced Wilson and Bar-sto barrels online $150-$180

What kind of deal can your department get on the H&K anyway?
    none, they only purchase the 17, we can carry the other sidearms but have to purchase them on our own, I personally like my HK, have had it for 10 years but would want to get a new one for my sidearm

At least one thing's for sure---you'll have another G26 anyway, and that's nice.
    yep, I figured that was the best option since I already own one, have shot it, etc

So--you have to purchase your own duty carry pistol AND you have a choice of what you carry on duty? I always thought department issue no cost to the officer.
    yeah, we have to purchase our weapons either way, they just get the G17 at a good deal to us, they issue Remington shottys or we can purchase one on our own that is on the approved list, we can purchase rifles for the car too as long as they're on the approved list (don't have either of those lists yet)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I always thought most Police Dept furnished you're guns and equipment kinda hard to throw a mag of ammo to you're partner if he's got a different wepon/calibre,but I also know of smaller Depts. that require you to furnish all you're belt gear and gun
    yeah, it is a tactical advantage for all officers to have interchangable weapons/mags, but then so is having a weapon that fits your hand so you can shoot it better

forgot to mention: we are responsible for purchasing sidearm, cuffs, flashlight, all other gear and leather is furnished
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yeah, it is a tactical advantage for all officers to have interchangable weapons/mags, but then so is having a weapon that fits your hand so you can shoot it better

forgot to mention: we are responsible for purchasing sidearm, cuffs, flashlight, all other gear and leather is furnished
    Ya wanta set them off show up with a set of pink furry cuffs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Ya wanta set them off show up with a set of pink furry cuffs
    he he....that was already covered....only silver/gray or black cuffs allowed, they mentioned the 5.11 cuffs that come in multiple colors lol, they also covered the weapons...only black, blued, stainless, gray colored weapons
    command presence might be lacking if you pull out a pink framed pistol LOL
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    What have you decided for a flashlight? I recommended the Pelican 7060 to my best friend who is with the local PD. Now many of the other officers have it too!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Brothers Leo Department Furnished Carry Weapon G21 3 Mags All Leather& Ammo He Furnishis His Bug &got To Qualify Twice A Year Takes Home Everything Even Car Oh He Just Got Ar 14 Nice North East Fl Ps Hes Retireing In 5 Years Keeps Gun G 21 And Badge & Certification Woo Long Winded Sorry & Good Luck

"If we want to use Glock 45 we have to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson or other approved barrel (I don't yet know which others are approved). Have any of you LEOs had this issue with your department?"

This is the first itme I have heard of sucha thing. Silly, if you ask me. But hey! Look on the bright side, you're about to work for an agency which allows choice and more than one choice at that.
    God, country, family.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I was gonna say that the Dept. is mandating the Wilson barrel for the Glock because of the KaBoom issues? Unsupported chamber? However, I think that was an issue only in the .40SW caliber?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I was gonna say that the Dept. is mandating the Wilson barrel for the Glock because of the KaBoom issues? Unsupported chamber? However, I think that was an issue only in the .40SW caliber?
    I was kinda wondering about that myself...

Anyway, good move on the 17. Now you can keep your individual L.E. purchase from Glock to get that 26 or SF. If you have to pay for your own gun for duty use, Glock is probably the way to go. Trust me, if you are doing your job correctly, it will get beat to hell and back. The Glocks are the least expensive gun I would consider for duty use, I hate it when a new Sig gets beat up. The Glocks start life out ugly, so its no big deal when they end their service life ugly. Just like a junkyard dog... you gotta love 'em.

Parts and service are easy, every decent gun shop in the country carries Glock parts, and there are more Glock armorers per capita than any other brand. It sucks when your duty gun goes down...A Glock will be up and running again in a mater of minutes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    What have you decided for a flashlight? I recommended the Pelican 7060 to my best friend who is with the local PD. Now many of the other officers have it too!
    We're required to get a Maglite rechargable, they said because we'll be working at night and it has a long battery charge, I think its so we have something else heavy to hang on our duty belts during the day at the academy LOL
    I also got a streamlight Stinger too
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    "If we want to use Glock 45 we have to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson or other approved barrel (I don't yet know which others are approved). Have any of you LEOs had this issue with your department?"

This is the first itme I have heard of sucha thing. Silly, if you ask me. But hey! Look on the bright side, you're about to work for an agency which allows choice and more than one choice at that.
    yeah, I'm glad they allow choices
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    thats the only thing I can think of, will get that confirmed soon

from what I've read online the last couple of days, the issue of unsupported chamber is on 40 and 45, but then I don't trust everything I read online either
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links