Defensive Carry banner

LE dept approved weapons

3K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  chiboxer 
#1 ·
So I started the academy June 5th. We got our manuals, books, etc, and we found out the dept will purchase Glock 17s for us at a great deal ($445 w/night sights/3mags).
The dept policy is 9mm or 45acp H&K, S&W, Sig, or Glock. If we want to use Glock 45 we have to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson or other approved barrel (I don't yet know which others are approved).
Have any of you LEOs had this issue with your department?

I'm bummed....I was going to add a G21sf to my "collection", I now have to consider the $$$ of the barrel purchase/fitting and compare that to getting a new HK USP since I've had one of those for 10 years and feel comfortable with it (carried G30 concealed last 3 years).
Either way, I'm getting the G17 to add to the collection :smile:

BUG policy is no bigger than .38 or 9mm, 3 1/2" barrel max, so I'm going to get another G26 with night sights (wife wouldn't take too kindly if I took hers for my backup lol)

#2 ·
Forgive me for butting in. Have you checked around local dealers to see what you personally would be able to purchase these firearms for individually? I mean a personal transaction between you and the gun shop with a LEO discount instead of through your department? I'm thinking I bought a G17 limited edition through GSSF years ago for $385 without night sights and only two magazines. What is the specific purpose of getting an aftermarket replacement barrel for the Glocks? I didn't figure Glock would warranty their pistols with aftermarket parts installed. I wouldn't figure on a replacement barrel costing you over $100-$150 though for the Glock. What kind of deal can your department get on the H&K anyway? Personally, having all the Glocks and a nice SIG, I wouldn't mind having an H&K 45acp, but I know the prices. As far as Wilson replacement barrels if you wanted to go that route---check with them personally again, as an LEO private purchase and ask about being discounted. You should have alot of job benefits with or without your departments backing just for being LEO and I'm sure most manufacturers see it the same way. All you'd have to do is ask, and it never hurts to ask. At least one thing's for sure---you'll have another G26 anyway, and that's nice.
So--you have to purchase your on duty carry pistol AND you have a choice of what you carry on duty? I always thought department issue no cost to the officer. Interesting. Good luck in your decision making. Good luck at the academy.

#4 ·
hey, you're not butting in :smile:

Have you checked around local dealers to see what you personally would be able to purchase these firearms for individually? I mean a personal transaction between you and the gun shop with a LEO discount instead of through your department? I'm thinking I bought a G17 limited edition through GSSF years ago for $385 without night sights and only two magazines.
no, didn't have time, had to turn in form to buy the 17, we get the 17 at $445 with night sights/3 mags, and they payroll deduct, no interest, helps me since I dont have that cash available at the moment, that price is way less than any I've seen in town (G17 without night sights/2 mags is around $500 everywhere I've seen) I can look at another option after graduation; we had to have something quickly since we have to wear duty belt with gear, sidearm, mags, etc everyday at the academy, pistol stays at PD in our lockers, so I didn't want to leave my HK45 up there all the time and not have it in my bedside safe :smile:

What is the specific purpose of getting an aftermarket replacement barrel for the Glocks? I didn't figure Glock would warranty their pistols with aftermarket parts installed. I wouldn't figure on a replacement barrel costing you over $100-$150 though for the Glock.
thats what I posted the question for, to see if any other agencies had this policy and why, I'm sure I can find out why next week but I wanted to pose the question here, as for the warranty...I don't know about that, I do know that if it does void then I won't go with the 21
I priced Wilson and Bar-sto barrels online $150-$180

What kind of deal can your department get on the H&K anyway?
none, they only purchase the 17, we can carry the other sidearms but have to purchase them on our own, I personally like my HK, have had it for 10 years but would want to get a new one for my sidearm

At least one thing's for sure---you'll have another G26 anyway, and that's nice.
yep, I figured that was the best option since I already own one, have shot it, etc

So--you have to purchase your own duty carry pistol AND you have a choice of what you carry on duty? I always thought department issue no cost to the officer.
yeah, we have to purchase our weapons either way, they just get the G17 at a good deal to us, they issue Remington shottys or we can purchase one on our own that is on the approved list, we can purchase rifles for the car too as long as they're on the approved list (don't have either of those lists yet)

#3 ·
I always thought most Police Dept furnished you're guns and equipment kinda hard to throw a mag of ammo to you're partner if he's got a different wepon/calibre,but I also know of smaller Depts. that require you to furnish all you're belt gear and gun

#5 ·
yeah, it is a tactical advantage for all officers to have interchangable weapons/mags, but then so is having a weapon that fits your hand so you can shoot it better

forgot to mention: we are responsible for purchasing sidearm, cuffs, flashlight, all other gear and leather is furnished

#8 ·
What have you decided for a flashlight? I recommended the Pelican 7060 to my best friend who is with the local PD. Now many of the other officers have it too!

#13 ·
We're required to get a Maglite rechargable, they said because we'll be working at night and it has a long battery charge, I think its so we have something else heavy to hang on our duty belts during the day at the academy LOL
I also got a streamlight Stinger too

#9 ·
Brothers Leo Department Furnished Carry Weapon G21 3 Mags All Leather& Ammo He Furnishis His Bug &got To Qualify Twice A Year Takes Home Everything Even Car Oh He Just Got Ar 14 Nice North East Fl Ps Hes Retireing In 5 Years Keeps Gun G 21 And Badge & Certification Woo Long Winded Sorry & Good Luck

#10 ·
"If we want to use Glock 45 we have to replace the factory barrel with a Wilson or other approved barrel (I don't yet know which others are approved). Have any of you LEOs had this issue with your department?"

This is the first itme I have heard of sucha thing. Silly, if you ask me. But hey! Look on the bright side, you're about to work for an agency which allows choice and more than one choice at that.

#14 ·
yeah, I'm glad they allow choices

#11 ·
I was gonna say that the Dept. is mandating the Wilson barrel for the Glock because of the KaBoom issues? Unsupported chamber? However, I think that was an issue only in the .40SW caliber?

#12 ·
I was kinda wondering about that myself...

Anyway, good move on the 17. Now you can keep your individual L.E. purchase from Glock to get that 26 or SF. If you have to pay for your own gun for duty use, Glock is probably the way to go. Trust me, if you are doing your job correctly, it will get beat to hell and back. The Glocks are the least expensive gun I would consider for duty use, I hate it when a new Sig gets beat up. The Glocks start life out ugly, so its no big deal when they end their service life ugly. Just like a junkyard dog... you gotta love 'em.

Parts and service are easy, every decent gun shop in the country carries Glock parts, and there are more Glock armorers per capita than any other brand. It sucks when your duty gun goes down...A Glock will be up and running again in a mater of minutes.

#20 ·
Let me say up front that I am not a Glock fan. That being said, if the Glock is what you like go for it, but the way I look at it, this is what you are betting you life on every day. You are now entering a career where you are much more likely to use that tool of your trade than Al Bundy the shoe salesman. I know Sig has an individual officer program that is supposed to have great prices, I imagine most manufacturers do. Get what is on the list that you know works best for you. This is not the place to go cheap. If that means brown bagging it for a couple of weeks instead of your favorite restaurant for lunch, I think it would be money well spent.

#24 ·
yep, I'm not skimping on the weapon, Its gonna be Glock 21sf or a new HK USP 45

#21 ·
64zebra First off both congrats and sympathy on being accepted to the academy LOL . In years past i have worked with APD , Potter and Randal countys on some cases that spanned state lines and all were great to work with so your getting a good bunch going in , dont forget that the legendary Skeeter Skelton is an APD alumni also lol . I was in fact hired there in the early 80s but took a job closer to my area at a slight cut in pay .
As to the barrel replacement on the glock .. My bet is that there is no great mystery to it , IMHO they buy lead practice ammo in .45 and lead and polygonal rifled bores are not a good mix , thus you replace the barrel with a conventional rifled quality barrel to save the dept $$ on training ammo . Anyway best to you on the new job , and be sure and pick up something on the dept group buy even if your not going to carry it lol .

#25 ·
thanks *******, I've known a bunch of good guys at APD and Randall SO for a few years
I don't know about the lead/unjacketed rounds, it may just be the rangemaster being protective, its his decision to not allow ANY .40S&W weapons...period, I'm sure I'll find out when I talk to someone this week

you need to PM me your real name and what year you were hired so I can look at your class picture in the hall LOL

#26 ·
CHEIF GETTING KICK BACKS!!
NO it just is not happening here , in fact i will go out on a limb and state that no one at apd is getting any kickback for their 120 or so officers when it comes to selection of personal firearms . APD works hard to be a professional dept that could benifit dallas / ft worth. To a large degree it succeeds and it does at a lot less cost to the taxpayer of tx .

#28 ·
*******.....302 officers in 2006, I'm not sure what the exact number is now, the chief came in class today and said they were going to be adding 50 additional officers overall during the next 3 years

I guarantee there are no kickbacks for anything, there are not that many officers using G21, and thats the only weapon requiring a non-original barrel

#27 ·
you need to PM me your real name and what year you were hired so I can look at your class picture in the hall LOL
Its 81 but i am not there for the class pic . sorry.

#29 ·
ahhh, you didn't have to wear those ugly baby blue uniforms with dark blue pockets/trim :rofl:

#30 ·
LOL yea i did one week of the " blues " and frankly the shirt was less than the pants they put us inn . however as stated i escaped lol . I did come back later and work with APD and found them top notch , this is not about admin but about the officers you work with . No matter where you come from as an officer APD can and will work your case . Be it narc or running down details on a homicide, they will do it and do it and do iit well . As the " go to " guy on tough cases it amazes me how well apd does given the budget . There are good folk who wan t ta clear a case . and there are good patrol officers who care enough to pass SOME calls up.

#31 ·
spoke with someone today
the barrel policy was put in place a few years ago when more kaboom problems were happening with the 40/45 caliber glocks nation-wide
the man I spoke to said that they don't see those problems anymore but I didn't ask why the policy hadn't been eliminated
they do not use lead (unjacketed) rounds at the range
I guess I'll know more as it gets closer to me buying the 21

#34 ·
Great agency, I came real close to leaving my agency and joining you in this class(pulled my application in May). I have a awesome working relationship with APD, mainly SWAT and the Training Dept, I have been an adjunct instructor for them and the SWAT Team Commander is an adjunct instructor for my agency. They keep good records on all their shootings and have chosen those calibers for good reasons and they issue quality ammo. I was under the impression that you have to purchase your firearm (even the Glock 17), but the Officer's Assoc. will loan you the funds and deduct from your pay. I have a Glock 19 and would not feel undergunned at all carrying it on duty, infact one of my friends on the APD SWAT put someone down with his Glock 19(he carries it when working UC, Glock 21 for SWAT duties)and issue ammo, it works.

#36 ·
cool
yes we have to purchase weapons, dept gets us a G17 at a real good price

#37 ·
To me it sounds like more Officers carry the Glock 9 mm's at APD.

If that's the case then that's what I'd carry. Also, the magazines from your Glock 17 will fit the 26. That's a big plus in my book. Don't get me wrong, I like the 45 and the Officer being able to choose what he or she wants to carry, within reason, but I wouldn't want to be the only guy packing a 41 Magnum if everyone else packed a 38.

Biker :palmier:

#38 ·
well thats what I'm going to do initially anyway, I found out that the barrel change is required for Glock 45s so I'd rather spend the money on a HK than on the new Glock and a replacement barrel, so I'll stick with the 17 and a 26 BUG for now.
I've seen that there is a pretty good mixture of Glock 9 and 45, HK 9 and 45, not too many of the others

#41 ·
still waiting on word about what barrels are approved :frown:

#40 ·
Yeah we go with G-22's or G-23's. Those of us with G-23's have to carry G-22 mags for interchangeability if someone runs out of ammo.

That's the theory.... ask any deputy if they'd throw you a spare mag in a firefight and they'll tell you to keep your head down!

#42 ·
I work for a large agency in the Midwest that is located in a rather liberal city. That said, we are issued Glock 22's. That is what everyone carries, except for our SWAT team which carries Sig P226s in .40cal. We cannot carry BUG and off-duty (until about 1 month ago) we could carry nothing but Glocks. I would welcome the opportunity to carry whatever I wanted. It might still be a Glock but it would be of the .45ACP persuasion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.