NYPD getting TASERs

NYPD getting TASERs

This is a discussion on NYPD getting TASERs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the buzz: NYPD should outfit cops with TASERS, says Rand Corp. BY ALISON GENDAR DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Monday, June 9th 2008, 10:39 AM ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD getting TASERs

NYPD getting TASERs

Here's the buzz: NYPD should outfit cops with TASERS, says Rand Corp.
    BY ALISON GENDAR
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, June 9th 2008, 10:39 AM

Bloomberg News

The think-tank was hired by Ray Kelly in the aftermath of the fatal Sean Bell shooting.
    The NYPD should outfit rank-and-file cops with TASERS, according to a think-tank that reviewed NYPD' firearms training following the fatal Sean Bell shooting.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly hired the high-powered Rand Corp. to review the NYPD weapons training six weeks after five officers fired a combinded 50 rounds at an unarmed man in Jamaica.

"If the NYPD had a broader deployment of more robust less-than-lethal standoff weapons, such as TASER devices, it might not only prevent some incidents from escalating to deadly force, but might also reduce injuries to officers and citizens alike," the study found.

The study recommended the department issue all patrol officers TASERS in a pilot program.

Currently, the department has about 500 TASERS in use by the departments 3,500 patrol sergeants. Last week, the NYPD changed its policy so sergeants on patrol would carry the TASER on their hip, as opposed to in their squad car.

Expanding the use of TASERS was one of a list of recommendations Rand Corp. suggested after a review of the NYPD's firearms training and shooting review process.

Kelly asked Rand to find ways to combat "contagious" shootings, where officers open fire once a fellow officer shoots.

The study, paid for by the Police Foundation, did not probe the Bell shooting itself.

But the review did incorporate information unearthed by the Queens trial of three of teh officers involved in the fatal Nov. 25, 2006 encounter.

It's about time. Many large departments have carried them with great success for years.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

One wonders why they waited this long.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    The NYPD should outfit rank-and-file cops with TASERS, according to a think-tank that reviewed NYPD' firearms training following the fatal Sean Bell shooting.
    Exactly how would TASERs have helped against a guy in a car trying to run over police officers? I suspect they don't work very well through windshields, nor against moving targets...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I've got a great idea, Why don't we give them the maximum tools to get their job done instead of the minimum. It is like giving a mechanic a screwdriver, vice grips and a hammer to fix your car. Then we wonder a BG got shot when he was wielding a knife. If the cops had more tasers we could at least try that first.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

They don't have tasers yet?

I guess I'm not clear why any department wouldn't have them, or at least make them available to officers who want to carry them.

Beyond that, use of force policies can vary depending on the department's assessment of how dangerous they really are.

I am all for providing LEOs with all the tools they need to get the job done, but what ever happened to expecting people to stop when a cop yells "STOP, or I'll shoot!"

I guess I am just getting tired of all the law abiding people getting the shaft cause someone dies at the hand of a LEO and everyone gets up in arms (sorry for the pun, it truly wasn't intended) over it. This guy, IIRC, was running down some LEOs and they stopped him.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    I guess I'm not clear why any department wouldn't have them, or at least make them available to officers who want to carry them.
    Most of them around here dont have them.
    Its lack of funds.
    They are expensive, and the training that goes with them is expensive.

My dept has just now gotten 6 of them,through a government grant. I go to Taaer training in two weeks. One must be certified to carry one and use it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

NYPD has always been bass-ackwards. I grew up in NYC, had family who worked for them and a few relatives who worked as officers in the counties on Long Island. I loved listening to them all argue about how the NYPD didn't trust their officers to use good judgement and always sent their officers out with their hands figuratively tied.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Exactly how would TASERs have helped against a guy in a car trying to run over police officers? I suspect they don't work very well through windshields, nor against moving targets...
    if they had the tazer they could have deployed it sooner during that whole scenario

(and I don't look forward to "qualifying" with tazer on Dec 1st)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    if they had the tazer they could have deployed it sooner during that whole scenario
    Well, okay, I don't remember all the details that made it into the news about the Sean Bell shooting, but would they have had cause to TASER the guy before he got in his car and tried to run the officers down?

I guess the article does say that the report was not specifically about the Bell shooting. I can't tell whether the political -covering that I read into this article is a by-product of the reporter's bias or the intent of commissioning the study.

Regardless, though, this bothers me:

Kelly asked Rand to find ways to combat "contagious" shootings, where officers open fire once a fellow officer shoots.
    It seems to me that if multiple officers are present and a scumbag that does something to precipitate an officer to fire his weapon at said scumbag, then every officer present is probably justified in so doing. Without a lot more evidence than the fact that Al Sharpton gets on a high horse when things like the Amadou Diallo and Sean Bell shootings happen, it doesn't seem like "contagious shootings" are some sort of terrible epidemic.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    agree on the political CYA and the media

as for the "contagious shooting" crap....if there are 3 officers on a scene and BG does something to warrant use of deadly force, then the 3 officers would be obligated and should use whatever force is necessary to stop the threat
    if officers are forced to let just one officer shoot someone that needs to be stopped, then we'll have more dead officers
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Well, okay, I don't remember all the details that made it into the news about the Sean Bell shooting, but would they have had cause to TASER the guy before he got in his car and tried to run the officers down?
    Yes, if you believe the testimony of the officer who initiated contact.
    Which I personally do not believe.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Anybody got a link ref. the Bell case? I don't believe I'm familiar with that one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sean Bell shooting incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and google sean bell shooting

I didn't care to sort through all the links/stories LOL
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links