European scanners in America.

This is a discussion on European scanners in America. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Scanners that see through clothing installed in US airports - Yahoo! News I kinda wish I worked for TSA....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European scanners in America.

European scanners in America.

2. Remove Ads

Just another reason I don't fly the friendly skies.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Commonly referred to as "Woody-vision." I have no access to the information, but I would bet my state retirement that senior Sergeants in London PD are "assigned" to the cams nearest the health clubs, gyms, and higher-end fashion stores, while officers with less time-in or disciplinary issues are on the "office & tube watch."

Simple confirmation of known fact, authoritarians are voyeuristic perverts. No one is any "safer" than the Empire was maintained by Prima Nocta.

So where would Jefferson, Adams, Franklin and the others sit on the concept of the gov't using devices to see through your clothes vs. the right of the people to be safe from illegal searches?

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    So where would Jefferson, Adams, Franklin and the others sit on the concept of the gov't using devices to see through your clothes vs. the right of the people to be safe from illegal searches?
    You terrorist supporter you! ;-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Is it an "illegal search"...seems to me that people subject themselves to the rules of air travel. It is airline policy. If you don't like it, don't fly. Currently there is an option to have a pat down if you don't want to be scanned. They have been looking through your luggage and x-ray-ing your baggage for years.

We are slowly trading in our rights in trade for "perceived" security, I do agree with that.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Moderator
    The courts have long held that anything beyond "ordinary sight" constitutes a search for the purposes of the 4th Amendment.

However, in the setting of an airport, you've consented to the search as part of buying your ticket.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

IIRC the European scanners did not produce graphic images of the body. It used IR to determine the composite make up of items which is how it could tell the difference between silly putty and C4...

The European scanner didn't bother me nearly as much as this one does. The safeguards are that the pervert watching the video cannot record or export the data? I don't believe that for a second. Where there's a will, there is a way...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Does anyone think the trampling of our rights will ever stop? I myself don't think so. People are too concerned with "safety" and will give up anything in it's name. The problem is, what is left for the rest of us to do?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Does anyone think the trampling of our rights will ever stop? I myself don't think so. People are too concerned with "safety" and will give up anything in it's name. The problem is, what is left for the rest of us to do?
    Agreed. Unfortunately too many people have bought into the perception that all this invasive screening provides "safety." Unfortunately these same people fail tot hink about the lack of screening of flightline employees and other holes in the "system." Not to mention that the TSA agents rarely understand thier own regulations....

Like most government projects, TSA is nothing more than a soporific.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Now wait a minute.... If a Muslim's body cannot be viewed by members of the opposite sex, (I hear that they are even allowed to wear Burkas in official photos in some places) how are THEY gonna be screened. Bodily touching is a no no also.
    I mean, we got to be politically correct here, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Simple confirmation of known fact, authoritarians are voyeuristic perverts. No one is any "safer" than the Empire was maintained by Prima Nocta.
    Hey now, I resemble, I mean resent that remark!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Would it pick up a heavy piece of leather on a neck chain cut into the shape of a hand flipping the bird. Just curious.

I agree with the consent to a search being given when you buy a ticket, then again, non of the 9-11 hijackers went through security at any of these BIG airports, for just that reason, lighter security. So whats the point?

ETA: I guess they dont get the whole "it's only as good as the weakest link in the chain idea"
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

If you're not happy with it, don't fly.

This is not trampling anyone's rights to anything. It's optional. It's not done randomly or without consent. It's something you choose to submit to when you choose to fly.

It's even optional if you choose to fly...you can be inspected physically, if you find that more comforting.

Whether or not airline security, in general, is effective is another argument. And even if it's not perfect, arguing against improving it simply because there are other existing problems in security is silly. These are more effective than traditional magnetometer screening, so why not use them?

I will agree 100% that the biggest, most important holes in our airline security do not lie in passenger screening, but in the many bypasses, and I'd like to see more attention paid to them. But visible measures are also part of the smoke and mirrors of security.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    This is not trampling anyone's rights to anything. It's optional. It's not done randomly or without consent. It's something you choose to submit to when you choose to fly.
    There really is a difference between being able to travel freely and being able to travel ONLY if one "voluntarily" foregoes one's right to be free from unreasonable searches. Particularly when alternatives to that travel are not readily available. Calling a "stick" a "carrot" doesn't change its nature.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links