Missing M-16s Returned -- With Apology

This is a discussion on Missing M-16s Returned -- With Apology within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Missing M-16s Returned -- With Apology Missing M-16s Returned -- With Apology...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing M-16s Returned -- With Apology

I don't understand why they would still charge the person that turned them in. The ones that need to be charged are the ones that lost them.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Since when is am M16 a machine gun? Wow, I feel kinda bad for the Air Force lately. Always in the news with nothing really good said about that branch of service. Def Sec Gates had to go on a "Moral Building" tour of the Air Force. The AF is in desperate need of new leadership.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I don't remember the Air Force being this inept when my dad was in the service.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I don't understand why they would still charge the person that turned them in. The ones that need to be charged are the ones that lost them.
    I think I can pretty much guarantee that those responsible won't enjoy the consequences for their negligence.......

Administrator
    I can think of lots of fitting charges for this person, provided they can prove he was the one who removed them from the base, and I am quite sure the airmen who were at fault will some some punishment as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I can think of lots of fitting charges for this person, provided they can prove he was the one who removed them from the base, and I am quite sure the airmen who were at fault will some some punishment as well.
    The man called base officials from a pay phone and apparently left the guns behind a horse trailer at the stables on the west side of the installation.

I took this to mean that he could not get off the base before it went into lock down.

Of course you'll only hear the bad news in liberal media each day...

I was stationed at a base In England and somebody stole an ammo can of High Explosive 40 mm grenade shells from the back of a Security Police vehicle,there was a report that an off duty Security Policeman saw somebody throw something that looked like an ammo can from a vehicle off base,we were called out and searched the ditch and found the empty ammo can but the grenades were missing,they got a composite picture of the suspect and one of the gate guards had it propped up in his window,the suspect was a USAF sergeant and when he drove thru the gate saw the composite and it looked just like him so he figured it was just a matter of time and turned himself in,he didn't know what he grabbed til he opened the box then he buried them in a hole.He got 5 years in Leavenworth and a dishonorable for his stupidity.I'm sure the guy grabbed the M16 machine guns figured out witnesses saw him and probably got a good description and maybe a tag number,problem is they will try to locate him because they don't want anybody that would steal military equipment on base,plus they will prosecute him for the theft and posession of stolen military property and illegal machine guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by AZUSMC22 View Post
    The man called base officials from a pay phone and apparently left the guns behind a horse trailer at the stables on the west side of the installation.

I took this to mean that he could not get off the base before it went into lock down.

That was the way I read it as well. He never took them off base. He may have intended on it, but didn't.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

That was the way I read it as well. He never took them off base. He may have intended on it, but didn't.
    It's possible he was heading toward a gate and saw cars lined up and a search going on and knew he wasn't getting off base,once a case of M-16s or anything else is missing it doesn't take an hour, all on duty Security personnel have radios and all it takes is one radio transmission to lock the base down.They don't ask may I search you're vehicle either ,once you drive on base they can search you or you're vehicle at any time without consent.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

If it doesn't belong to you, don't pick it up and do anything with it. Plain and simple. If he wanted to turn them in, he should have called right away when he found them, and said, hey there is a case of M-16's you all should probably come and gather them up, and stayed with them till the MP's arrived.

Yes, he probably had intentions of taking them off base, or got them off base, unclear by the wording which was the case and then either had a change of heart, or realized there would be lots of folks looking for them and got scared. Either way, yes charges are in order in my book.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    Wait a minute! The AF guys don't even have to CARRY their own rifles!!!!

Now I know I joined the wrong branch!

Last edited by Herknav; June 12th, 2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Some things just don't need to be said in public...
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I was In the Security Police career field and we carried M16's or M60 Machine gun or S&W mod 15 38 spcl revolver every day on duty,not sure what type of exercise they might of been on where they weren't checking their individual weapons in and out of the armory.I'm sure the driver that lost the case of guns is looking at a letter of reprimand at the very least,possibly article 15 non judicial punishment they can take pay and stripes if they go that route

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links