I need motivation

I need motivation

This is a discussion on I need motivation within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm 23 and just sort of finished school. Right now I have a great job as a microbiologist. It pays well, great benefits, I work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need motivation

I need motivation

I'm 23 and just sort of finished school. Right now I have a great job as a microbiologist. It pays well, great benefits, I work with great people, and the work itself is very repetitive and sometimes tedious, but overall not bad.

I'm not sure I see myself being able to do this long term though. While the job is great, it isn't that fulfilling other than paying the bills. I've always wanted to do something to help others/benefit the community. Thought about being a doctor/dentist, etc, but decided against more schooling.

I remember growing up always wanting to be a cop. For about the last year I've been seriously considering giving up biology to get into law enforcement.

The biggest thing that is stopping me simply is that I'm not in that great of shape. I know there is no way I could pass the physical fitness portion of the hiring test. I hate running and have poor upper body strength.

I kind of know what I need to do in order to prepare to take the test, but I'm just having a horrible time motivating myself to get off my butt and exercise/prepare.

I'm trying to figure out some ways to motivate myself. Any suggestions? I think the biggest thing stopping me is just sort of a fear of failing at being able to actually get in shape.
    Glock 19

Start slowly with an exercise program, and do a little more each time you work out. And remember, if you are afraid of failing, you have already failed. Whether you think you can do it or not, you are right. Get in the right positive mindset and set small, attainable goals that you can reach. That is better than one huge goal that seems impossible to reach.

Most PT tests are not that difficult. If you REALLY want to be a police officer, you'll get in shape and pass the test. If not, you won't. It's about as simple as that, from my point of view.

There are a lot of rewarding careers in public safety that are not police positions. With your education in biology, have you thought about getting a position with a crime lab or forensic services agency?

Good luck!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Moderator
    Join the Marine Corp.

They have a way of motivating people.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sounds like you have a background that could get you hired in a crime lab,analyzing evidence etc.might not be the same as working the streets but might be more rewarding than you're current job
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Two things, don't let the prospect of a L.E. job motivate you because you will shoot yourself down before you even get started. Sounds like you have a good job already, and you are not struggling to keep a roof over your head. Make your first concern your health and longevity, things will fall into place after that.

Second, don't jump blindly out of the frying pan and into the fire. L.E. work is tedious, mundane as well. Sure, it can be exciting at times, but its not nearly as action packed and exciting as an outsider looking in would think. Look long and hard at the pay in your area etc., it would be ashame to waste your education if you end up not liking L.E. work or the pay isn't good enough. Look into becoming a part time or reserve officer first before you jump ship. This way, you can get a taste and see if its really for you. This will also help you get hired full time at a good agency should that time come.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Two things, don't let the prospect of a L.E. job motivate you because you will shoot yourself down before you even get started. Sounds like you have a good job already, and you are not struggling to keep a roof over your head. Make your first concern your health and longevity, things will fall into place after that.

Second, don't jump blindly out of the frying pan and into the fire. L.E. work is tedious, mundane as well. Sure, it can be exciting at times, but its not nearly as action packed and exciting as an outsider looking in would think. Look long and hard at the pay in your area etc., it would be ashame to waste your education if you end up not liking L.E. work or the pay isn't good enough. Look into becoming a part time or reserve officer first before you jump ship. This way, you can get a taste and see if its really for you. This will also help you get hired full time at a good agency should that time come.
    Big +1! As some other folks would say,"You've got to DO THE WORK." What do you fill your off-hours with? Pick something easy- buy a 10 pound bag of sugar, wrap it in duct tape, and raise it over your head, do squats while holding it, "curl" it raising it from waist to shoulders. Do these, or variations of, in sets of 10 for a couple of weeks, then try increasing to 15 and try adding a few push-ups.

I don't know what your threshold is now, but the push-up is a pretty basic measure for upper-body. Using the irregular shape of the bag of sugar will run your upper body through "real world" range of motion strength. You'll feel better and more motivated, if you can maintain it for at least two weeks, shaking off the lethargy.

Quote Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
    I'm 23 and just sort of finished school. Right now I have a great job as a microbiologist. It pays well, great benefits, I work with great people, and the work itself is very repetitive and sometimes tedious, but overall not bad.

I'm not sure I see myself being able to do this long term though. While the job is great, it isn't that fulfilling other than paying the bills. I've always wanted to do something to help others/benefit the community. Thought about being a doctor/dentist, etc, but decided against more schooling.

I remember growing up always wanting to be a cop. For about the last year I've been seriously considering giving up biology to get into law enforcement.

The biggest thing that is stopping me simply is that I'm not in that great of shape. I know there is no way I could pass the physical fitness portion of the hiring test. I hate running and have poor upper body strength.

I kind of know what I need to do in order to prepare to take the test, but I'm just having a horrible time motivating myself to get off my butt and exercise/prepare.

I'm trying to figure out some ways to motivate myself. Any suggestions? I think the biggest thing stopping me is just sort of a fear of failing at being able to actually get in shape.
    Get it together man...

You sound like someone who'd be disappointed at winning the lottery..."Now what am I going to do with all this money?"..."Now I have to open several bank accounts...what bank should I go to?...I don't even like banks...etc., etc., etc..."

You have a great job...you like it...great people to work with...enjoy it!

In not, join the Marines, you'll soon appreciate your 'past life'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I can't help with with advice on motivation. That has to come from within. But like Metro said, start slow and remember that nobody is born in perfect physical shape. Everyone has to start someplace from square one. I lost a ton of weight by quitting drinking and smoking while taking up backpacking.

Before you go quitting your job, do some ride-alongs. Talk to officers about what they do in the area you live in. If you want to keep your current job but are just looking for something more exciting (I'll let others make the judgement on that), consider joining police or sheriff's reserves?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Try having some pride! Go to military.com and start to participate in a fitness program. Good luck!

I used the conditioning program found here:

Public Safety testing - Apply with Public Safety Agencies Online

After I aced the physical and began the background process for a few departments and was hired at three (I had to make up my mind quick) my employer got really, really motivated to keep me. They made it worth my while to stay and I haven't looked back since.

Going through this process helped me get introduced to a bit of the way things really are... and they are not much like what you'd think.

To give you some perspective, I was outrageously out of shape... I couldn't pass the physical when I started training for it. Mostly because of the run.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    POLICE FORENSICS pops into my mind for you.
    You could probably fall right into that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Like others mentioned, when you start working out, do it slowly. I started working on getting back in shape to become a reserve deputy. I got a list of requirements and my first day of exercise I decided I could meet those requirements no problem. I ended up hurting parts of my body I did not know existed. Took a while to recover, but now I am going at it a little slower. Hopefully when the next class starts up, I can get in and see how it goes.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Yeah, I think part of the reason I feel the way I do (as far as failing) is because I got pretty serious about doing this about 6 months ago and even hired a personal trainer at the time to help me start getting in shape.

I ended up discontinuing his service after about 2 weeks because his style was just to sort of making me hit the ground running hard core rather than allowing to kind of slowly and comfortably build up to my goals.

I think if I do it my way, and put no time constraints on it, just work at it until I'm ready, I can do it.

Plus I'd love to get in better shape even if I decided not to become a cop.
    Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
    Plus I'd love to get in better shape even if I decided not to become a cop.

That was kind of my thinking as well.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    You need to set measurable goals (both short term & long term). That way you can get motivated by your progress.

I recently started jogging in the mornings with my dog. We started out walking, then slowly adding jogging. Now we try to run more & walk less each day. It's easy to see the progress that way.

If you want it bad enough, you'll put in the effort. And remember, it's better to try & fail then to never try (for fear of failing). Also, most cops I know have had to try out at several departments before getting hired. My neighbor tried out at 2 places, then got hired in the next town over 3 weeks after he applied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links