Todays episode of...What the?

This is a discussion on Todays episode of...What the? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Am I the only one finding everything wrong with this? They're lucky they didn't get shot. Cops pay 3 a.m. visit to tell man his ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Todays episode of...What the?

Todays episode of...What the?

Am I the only one finding everything wrong with this? They're lucky they didn't get shot.

Cops pay 3 a.m. visit to tell man his door is unlocked - CNN.com

Cops pay 3 a.m. visit to tell man his door is unlocked

* Story Highlights
    * Police in Minnesota town checking on residents as part of public service campaign
    * On late night visit, they found Troy Molde's front door and garage door open
    * Police went upstairs to Molde's bedroom and woke him up to tell him
    * Molde says he feels violated; police say they were worried about his safety

LAKEVILLE, Minnesota (AP) -- A Lakeville man says he feels violated after two police officers woke him up at 3 a.m. to tell him his door was unlocked.

Their surprise visit was part of a public service campaign to remind residents to secure their homes to prevent thefts. Usually, officers just leave notices on doors.

But they went further in Troy Molde's case on Thursday. Police entered the house where four children under 7 were having a sleepover, and then went upstairs to Molde's bedroom.

The officers told Molde his garage door was open, the TV was on, the keys to his truck were left in the ignition and the door to his house was ajar.

A police spokesman says the intrusion was justified because the officers' initial door knocks went unanswered, and they wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

He says the kids inside -- Molde's two sons and two nephews -- were afraid to wake their dad, so the officers went upstairs
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Darned if they did, darned if they didn't.

But, maybe a phone call to the house would have been appropriate?

If they had ignored the situation and there was trouble inside, they'd be in trouble too.

Going inside after knocking and getting no answer seems sensible.

If nothing else, the homeowner will now know better than to leave his house open like that at night, and even during the day.

He feels violated, and I don't blame him. But he and his kids are alive.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    On a slow night we will shake business doors. Any found open get secured after the building is cleared.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Am I the only one finding everything wrong with this? They're lucky they didn't get shot.

Cops pay 3 a.m. visit to tell man his door is unlocked - CNN.com
    Kids in house and every thing open and unlock what a idiot.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Darned if they did, darned if they didn't.

But, maybe a phone call to the house would have been appropriate?

If they had ignored the situation and there was trouble inside, they'd be in trouble too.

Going inside after knocking and getting no answer seems sensible.

If nothing else, the homeowner will now know better than to leave his house open like that at night, and even during the day.

He feels violated, and I don't blame him. But he and his kids are alive.
    I understand the homeowner screwed the pooch. I can't side with him on leaving his doors open, HOWEVER, this concept of going door to door throughout the neighborhood and deciding it's ok to enter just because someone doesn't answer is NOT OK...

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Let's see.. Garage door open, keys in truck, front door ajar.

How about.. Close garage door, lock front door and maybe put keys on table with note.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Wow....that sounds like a good way for a well-meaning cop to get himself shot! The guy didn't have a doorbell?

I was walking our dog a couple of nights ago, around 10pm and noticed our neighbor's garage door open. Gave them a call when I got home. They were thankful for the reminder, but I sure as heck wouldn't have thought to just walk on in.......!

The children were afraid to wake him up????

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    sounds like a Fourth Amendment violation to me.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

"A Lakeville man says he feels violated after two police officers woke him up at 3 a.m. to tell him his door was unlocked."

Maybe he'd really feel violated if some one other than the police walked in.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    It sounds to me that they had probable cause. late at night doors not only unlocked but open and no one answering.

It sounds like the cops were doing their job.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'd be shooting first and asking questions later if someone came into my house doors locked or not.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    No way--this easily falls into exigent circumstances. Sure sounds a little over the top to most people, including me, after the fact, but to the officers at the time, it probably made sense, given an articulable set of circumstances which could reasonably indicate an emergency situation (or the remnants thereof...) inside the house.

The officers, however, are also lucky that nothing bad happened during their surprise visit. Probably not the smartest move they could have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    "A Lakeville man says he feels violated after two police officers woke him up at 3 a.m. to tell him his door was unlocked."

Maybe he'd really feel violated if some one other than the police walked in.
    That's not the point. I am not responsible for you, nor are you for me. Whether or not he would feel violated if someone other than the police is besides the point.

-The Mist (2007)

The way i see i the cops were doing thier job, i would say they should have announced thier presence,or had the dispatcher call the residence to alert homeowner they were there its kinda a catch 22 damn if you do damn if you dont but then again homeowner should be greatful was the cops and not the BGs.Damn be nice if Sherrifs office patrol neighborhoods here not to say they dont just never see them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links