Silly String IED "Sensor"

This is a discussion on Silly String IED "Sensor" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For anyone putting together care packages, or with someone in harm's way, saw this on TPI, and thought it was well worth sharing: http://cockeyed.com/citizen/silly/silly.html...

Thread: Silly String IED "Sensor"

For anyone putting together care packages, or with someone in harm's way, saw this on TPI, and thought it was well worth sharing:
    http://cockeyed.com/citizen/silly/silly.html

Lead Moderator
    That's a great idea. Personnally I think the last picture on the page has a bit too much silly string on the tripwire...... But, that's just me.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Improvization - always a good way to go.

Find something existing, simple - and adapt it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This was tested back in the early '90s by some organizations in the military.

What if you put too much on the wire? How much is too much? Is the button on top of the can appropriate for regulating the 'string' in a life or death situation? If you're using this to ID wires in a suspicious area how much do you spray? I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy standing within range and pushing the button on the can. It's a cool idea (and I'm certainly not qualified to say whether it's better than nothing) but I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy that sends a can of 'Silly String' to a deployed buddy and loses a friend who can't wait to try it. Just my .02.

rstickle...it would be interesting to hear more of the EOD perspective on this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgr5280
    What if you put too much on the wire? How much is too much? Is the button on top of the can appropriate for regulating the 'string' in a life or death situation? If you're using this to ID wires in a suspicious area how much do you spray? I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy standing within range and pushing the button on the can. It's a cool idea (and I'm certainly not qualified to say whether it's better than nothing) but I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy that sends a can of 'Silly String' to a deployed buddy and loses a friend who can't wait to try it. Just my .02.

rstickle...it would be interesting to hear more of the EOD perspective on this.
    That was sort of my point, that "glob" (Technincal term ) in the last picture made me a little nervous.

Having said that, there should (note the word) be enough tension to hold a couple strands, if not you'd probably have to many "accidental" firings. I like the idea, and in some situations might use the stuff sparingly. Would I bet my life on it...... Never did, never will!
    Rick

Lead Moderator
    cool use for an otherwise useless product.

Maybe this is just me, but my understanding of the house to house fighting in Iraq right, you really don't have time nor the ability to call in EOD to clear every room. If you can use silly string, which has a possibility to set off IED's, but it will find them, or to just walk in blind; I'd choose the silly string. It isn't the perfect solution, but it is the best one available.

A1C Lickey

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey
    Maybe this is just me, but my understanding of the house to house fighting in Iraq right, you really don't have time nor the ability to call in EOD to clear every room. If you can use silly string, which has a possibility to set off IED's, but it will find them, or to just walk in blind; I'd choose the silly string. It isn't the perfect solution, but it is the best one available.
    That is true, and there is no way you are going to get EOD support all the time.

I know there are usually less than 1000 EOD Techs in the Army at any one time (both officer and enlisted). I'm not sure about the numbers in the other services. So we have always been few and far between.

I guess the most important thing is what you do after you find the trip-wire!
    Rick

Sponsored Links