Any LEO's Here?

This is a discussion on Any LEO's Here? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Need to ask - What brand duty belt/holster/etc do you wear? And, any pics of your belt, holster etc? I'm shopping around and have yet ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any LEO's Here?

Any LEO's Here?

Need to ask -

What brand duty belt/holster/etc do you wear? And, any pics of your belt, holster etc?

I'm shopping around and have yet to find one that I like. I'm looking for one that is as close to what I see LEO's wearing.

Also - Anyone have a holster style they might suggest for a G19?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I have used several diferent styles from inexpensive (cheap) unkle mikes type gear to the safariland 6000 series ALS holsters. The 6000 is the one with the role forward retention strap that most of the federal agencies in and around DC are going with right now. Offers great retention and is very fast on the draw in adition to being hands down the easiest duty holster to re-holster and strap in one handed.
    If you are goin'a come out of pocket for the holster it is kind of spendy.-Jay

Administrator
    I got to say leather looks 100% better in a traditional uniform than nylon, but I chose nylon because its easy to clean, you cant get blood or other nasties out of leather. I'm also into a lot of different things from road/bike patrol, SWAT, ATV, investigations and have done several stints in narcotics... I've found that nylon allows my belt to be as versatile as I am.

For my pouches, I like the Bianchi Accumold stuff, Safariland makes the best duty holsters IMO, and the only thing from Uncle Mikes I like is the belt itself, but don't get their inner belt, it will fray and be a mess after a couple of shifts like the rest of their junk.

If you do decide to go with leather, do yourself a huge favor and dont get the high gloss boy scouts on parade stuff or the basket weave get plain black... you'll thank me for this advice down the road.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Get a good stiff (vertically) duty belt. I prefer leather over nylon. In the 16 years I've been using non-Army-issue gear, I'm only on my 3rd belt.

For holsters, I'm really liking the Blackhawk Serpa level 3 duty holster......but I've only had that about one year, so I don't know about the durability yet.

I prefer a horizontal mag pouch to a vertical one. I prefer to wear my cuff case in the old-school middle of the back position, regardless of how much dread that strikes into the hearts of today's experts.

I like the "silent key keepers" with the sides that wrap around your keys -- ON the belt, not swinging beneath it.

I like the rotating hard plastic ASP baton holder.....and I wear it just one click up from horizontal, just to the left of my belt buckle.

You should distribute your belt keepers pretty evenly around your body. I use six - one on either side of my radio, holster, and cuff case.

Thanks guys - And I do agree, I don't like the high gloss or the basket weave look either.

I want typical looking leather. And I'll need a full setup. Am I right in looking towards Safariland for the dull (normal) looking leather? I would say Bianchi but I think they are the makers of the basket weave look.

I never had a choice.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I never had a choice.
    Issued?

I'm looking for all leather, nothing fancy ... no designs, no hard plastic holster etc. Just leather. I like the holsters with the snaps....semi-old school.

Any ideas? Pics?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I have a Safariland plain belt that was issued to me.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Issued?

I'm looking for all leather, nothing fancy ... no designs, no hard plastic holster etc. Just leather. I like the holsters with the snaps....semi-old school.

Any ideas? Pics?
    I would go with Safariland then, and this is the holster I like;

SAFARILANDĀ® [Model 070 Duty Holster, SSIII Mid-Ride, Level III Retention] : Holsters, Belts, Duty Gear, & Accessories for Law Enforcement, Military, Competition, and Sporting Enthusiasts
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks Sixto, that's pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I just sat for the past 30 mins or so and looked at Safarlands items...I like what I saw :)

Thanks again everyone. Keep the opinions coming though.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I never had a choice.
    Same here. Most of my rig is the really cheap Uncle Mike's stuff. All of it's almost two years old and frayed, beat-up and nasty looking (and I'm only a 'part-timer'). I'm told I'll get new stuff issued when it's availiable in the budget......."and no, you can't go get new gear because it'd be 'non-issue".

Sergeant Mac wrote: "I prefer to wear my cuff case in the old-school middle of the back position, regardless of how much dread that strikes into the hearts of today's experts."

I keep my 'rubber glove' pouch MOB, the cuffs stay just left of that.
    +1 on distributing the belt evenly and egronomicly placed.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    The 070 Holster that Sixto talks about is a good one. I have two, one for a Sig 220 that I currently use and one for the Glock 21 which is dept,. issue. To me the Glock feels like a 2x4 so I tote the Sig.

Be advised though, that it is a "rentention" holster and that it takes practice to "snap it out" quickly. It takes lots of repetitions to be able to do it without concious thought.

The good thing is that if you do a "roll around" on the ground, the gun will stay put and its less likely to be pulled out by someone that wants to try to kill you with your own gun.

They are pricey, but how much is your life worth?

Whatever you do, dont make the mistake of going cheap. Here, like everything else, you'll get what you pay for.

You'd be suprised how just getting in and out of a car a gazillion times will put wear and tear on your leather. We have two complete sets of gear, one leather for everyday duty wear and one nylon for BDU's and special stuff like boat partrol, 4 wheeler duty,and whatever comes up when we are going to get dirty.
    Last edited by HotGuns; June 24th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I love the look of leather and wore leather gear last in 1998.

Today it's all Bianchi Accumold stuff, for the reasons Sixto mentioned.

Biker

I wear the Safariland leather inner belt and Safariland buckleless outer belt. My duty holster is Safariland Raptor level III. Before my dept. changed to the G21, we carried the Sig 229. When we had the Sig, our holster was the Safariland 070. Of the two, I prefer the 070 but the raptor is still a very good holster. My only issue with the raptor is that your middle finger could slide off the release easier than the middle finger release on the 070. As Hotguns mentioned, both of these holsters are retention holsters and do require alot of practice to get proficient in weapon presentation. Both of the holsters I mentioned require 3 separate actions before the firearm can be drawn. Both have a thumb break(of sorts), a middle finger release and an ejection port lock.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Ok, I am a reserve with just over 2 years of use on this set of duty gear. Belt is a Bianchi Accu-molded along with the double mag pouch (can be worn v/h), holster is a Uncle Mikes Pro-3 Duty for a G22. We work everything, and I put in about 30 hours min a month. I realy like this set up for our use. The holster is about the best I have had and like it's use and how it holds up better than any other holster that our local officers use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links