Nra Civil Rights Coalition Sues San Francisco

This is a discussion on Nra Civil Rights Coalition Sues San Francisco within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEWS RELEASE CCRKBA, NRA CIVIL RIGHTS COALITION SUES SAN FRANCISCO OVER PUBLIC HOUSING GUN BAN Yesterday’s United States Supreme Court ruling in District of Columbia ...

Thread: Nra Civil Rights Coalition Sues San Francisco

Lightbulb Nra Civil Rights Coalition Sues San Francisco

NEWS RELEASE

CCRKBA, NRA CIVIL RIGHTS COALITION SUES SAN FRANCISCO OVER PUBLIC HOUSING GUN BAN

Yesterday’s United States Supreme Court ruling in District of Columbia vs. Heller confirmed what the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms has been saying all along: the Second Amendment does indeed protect a fundamental individual right to keep and bear arms. But because Washington, D.C. is a federal enclave, the Heller ruling applies to the federal government only.

Today, using the Heller decision as the basis for the challenge, the Citizens Committee, in partnership with the National Rifle Association (NRA), filed a civil rights lawsuit to confirm that the Second Amendment restricts state and local governments from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms as well.

The lawsuit was filed in federal court against the City of San Francisco and the San Francisco Public Housing Authority to invalidate the City’s ordinance (Police Code section 617) and lease provision that bans the possession of firearms in public housing

Before the Second Amendment can be used to challenge unconstitutional regulations laws at the state or local level, it must be “incorporated” through the Fourteenth Amendment to apply to the state and local governments. The lawsuit will serve to establish the incorporation doctrine in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, including California, and invalidate the existing ban on firearms in public housing in San Francisco in the process.

“As with the advancement of any civil right throughout history, subsequent litigation is essential in order to establish both the parameters of the Second Amendment’s protections, and initially to establish that the Second Amendment restricts state and local governments from infringing on your right to self-defense,” said Chuck Michel, civil rights attorney for the plaintiffs in the case.

“Just because someone lives in public housing does not mean that person must surrender his or her civil rights, or their right of self-defense,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “This lawsuit seeks to restore the rights of those living in public housing to choose to own a gun for sport or to defend their families.”

2. Remove Ads

Mean ole' NRA, there gonna make 'em cry. Just like the mayor of Chicago.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Will be glad when mayors Gavin Newsome and Richard Daley are left crying when the courts strike down their stupid bans! Finally something good to hear in the media!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Senior Moderator
    I hope they break it off in their...no never mind. They might like that.

I hope they make the make those San Fransico city officials and Housing Authority squall like mashed cats.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

“Just because someone lives in public housing does not mean that person must surrender his or her civil rights, or their right of self-defense,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb.
    Nor does one surrender civil rights when stepping outside one's front door, for any reason whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see how far this goes. The end game might well be "shall issue" gets to be the law of the land, because "might / might not issue" and "issue when Hades freezes over" is a broad and blind denial of civil rights. We'll see.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wish they had picked a better circuit court to challenge...the Ninth Circuit is notoriously nutty with their rullings. I think they should have gone after Chicago first.....win there, then go after the fruits and nuts.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I wish they had picked a better circuit court to challenge...the Ninth Circuit is notoriously nutty with their rullings. I think they should have gone after Chicago first.....win there, then go after the fruits and nuts.
    They are going after the most egregious. Chicago is under attack as well. If the Ninth wishes to make a ruling that is an insult to the SCOTUS then it will only fast track it back to the SCOTUS. Ignoring the SCOTUS on this is an excellent way to force this back to them and further define the 2A. If I remember correctly no court is more overturned than the ninth.

Heller was never going to solve all the problems. It is a foundation on which to build and this is how it is done.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    . If I remember correctly no court is more overturned than the ninth.

Heller was never going to solve all the problems. It is a foundation on which to build and this is how it is done.
    That right, thats because they look at everything from a pinko communist point of view. They keep forgetting that they are in the U.S.A. I have about as much faith in their rulings as I do with Ahnnnold making decent gun laws in California. It just doesn't happen.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Question for our Constitutional Scholars

What happens to this case and others like it if two Justices retire and are replaced by two equally as (or more) liberal than the two retiring. This won't get heard until next session (if heard at all) and it's unlikely we will get two conservatives on the Bench with the next President (whomever that will be).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Heller is starting to cause problems in a number of ways. It's just getting harder and harder to keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Heller is starting to cause problems in a number of ways. It's just getting harder and harder to keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens . . .
    Imagine that.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Links