Tactical Observations from a Grunt in Iraq - Page 3

Tactical Observations from a Grunt in Iraq

This is a discussion on Tactical Observations from a Grunt in Iraq within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ex - you have reminded me of of one of my memorable moments from youth!! I was but a humble Lance Cpl and this was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tactical Observations from a Grunt in Iraq

Assistant Administrator
    Ex - you have reminded me of of one of my memorable moments from youth!! I was but a humble Lance Cpl and this was in UK.

During a week up in Lake District (Warcop Camp, Westmoreland IIRC) on manouvers etc - we had one day with live fire of the good ol' Brit 25 pounder. Target area was a steep grade some 2,000 yards distant. This was mil' land but - as not used a whole lot all the time - it was rented to sheep farmer - who basically had to accept any ''losses''.

Well - a sheep at that range is but a white dot but - strangely - our gunnery skills were that day of such a high caliber that somehow (oops <smirk>) we did take out a couple of the poor critters. It was a case of ''now ya see it - now ya don't''!!

Wicked behavior!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The special ops guys are using SIGs (Navy Special Warfare), M9s (Army, Air Force), MEUSOC 1911 (USMC Force Recon), Kimber 1911 (USMC Det 1) Various 1911s and Glock 19s (unnamed Army SOF). As a side note Springfield Armory was recently given a contract to build the new MEUSOC pistol.

I think the SpecOps guys vary quite a bit. I have heard of the SEALs using the Sig; the M9; the S&W M66 (357 magnum) among others.

USASOD-D (aka Delta, aka CAG for Combat Applications Group) took delivery of a fair number of the H&K MK 23's with suppressors. I don't know if they're using them in Iraq. I have talked to snake eaters who do like using them.

OD, don't be too hard on the author of this e-mail. Remember it's a father who is remembering what he learned from his son...the marine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool Internet Legend? Maybe....maybe not....maybe both?

The special ops guys are using SIGs (Navy Special Warfare), M9s (Army, Air Force), MEUSOC 1911 (USMC Force Recon), Kimber 1911 (USMC Det 1) Various 1911s and Glock 19s (unnamed Army SOF). As a side note Springfield Armory was recently given a contract to build the new MEUSOC pistol.

I think the SpecOps guys vary quite a bit. I have heard of the SEALs using the Sig; the M9; the S&W M66 (357 magnum) among others.

USASFOD-D (aka Delta, aka CAG for Combat Applications Group) took delivery of a fair number of the H&K MK 23's with suppressors. I don't know if they're using them in Iraq. I have talked to snake eaters who do like using them.

OD, don't be too hard on the author of this e-mail. Remember it's a father who is remembering what he learned from his son...the marine. You make some very valid and cogent points, but there is a danger in nitpicking. Like the 7.62 Russian, etc. Also, It's a pretty big theatre of operations. Might not some of the observations still be valid outside your realm of experience or information?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    Remember it's a father who is remembering what he learned from his son...the marine
    Unfortunately, it depends on which e-mail you read.
    One dad is a retired Marine 1SG, one dad is a retired MAJ and this version that doesn't tell us who dad is.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links