Colombian Hostages rescued in a Bait & Switch Operation

This is a discussion on Colombian Hostages rescued in a Bait & Switch Operation within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 15 hostages kidnapped by the FARC were rescued today in a Bait & Switch operation. Marc Gonsalves, Keith Stansell and Thomas Howes, amrican military contractos ...

VIP Member

15 hostages kidnapped by the FARC were rescued today in a Bait & Switch operation. Marc Gonsalves, Keith Stansell and Thomas Howes, amrican military contractos and Ingrid Betancourt former presidential candidate were among those rescued in what I call a switch and Bait rescue operation that went without a hitch and without a shot being fired.

I just saw Ms. Betancourt explaining what happened and from what I heard from other interviews made to some Colombian military the operation went like this: According to the military, Operation Check (as check mate) started on February of this year. Somehow they managed to infiltrate at least one or possibly 2 operatives within the FARC units close to the hostages. I am guessing they gained confidence about their importance that somehow they managed to convince the FARC commandant in charge of the hostages that, by orders of the top honchos of FARC, the hostages needed to be relocated to a safer & nicer area (Colombian Army has been pounding the local area and about a week ago they announced that they had a good idea where the hostages were located.) A chopper came to the camp, landed and according with what Ms Betancourt said, some men looking weird and wearing some NGO patches and Che Guevara T-shirts came out of the chopper. She said she felt depressed and thought they were going to be paraded once more for the cameras or some BS like that. The hostages were told that they were to be handcuffed and they were not pleased by the idea but being hostages they had no choice. With the hostages, the camp commandant and probably one more FARC officer came for the ride, allegedly not only to get to the new location but to meet with one of the top two FARC chieftains. The helicopter took off and once they reached enough altitude, the FARC idiots were taken into custody, cuffed & blindfolded. One of the "raggedy" types addressed the hostages and said: "we are the Colombian Army. You are free."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I heard part of the story on Fox News. I couldn't imagine being held for 5 or 6 years, damn!
    Glad everyone was rescued safely...that took some 'balls'.

Stay armed...stay our of Comumbia...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I woulda liked to have seen the rebel commanders face when he realised he just went from hostage taker to prisoner
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Four (4) guys, 2 pilots and 2 "representatives" landed in the middle of the Colombia jungle, pulled a fast one to 60+ guerrillas, rescued the prisoners and arrested the Head honcho of the camp without a single shot fired..... Those 4 guys must need need wheelbarrows.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Apparently the US helped with the raid although not directly. Very good for all involved.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Four (4) guys, 2 pilots and 2 "representatives" landed in the middle of the Colombia jungle, pulled a fast one to 60+ guerrillas, rescued the prisoners and arrested the Head honcho of the camp without a single shot fired..... Those 4 guys must need need wheelbarrows.
    Wheelbarrows heck, they probably need a truck!!!!!

That took some type of cool to pull that off
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Too bad one of the FARC terrorists didn't "slip" and fall out of the helicopter.

I read where if that part of the plan failed they had 39 helicopters and troops ready to engage and encircle the camp
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I like musketeer's idea of an accidental slippage; those muddy boots sure a slippery. I have read that many a Victor Charlie met a similar fate in 'Nam. secondly, I hope they called in a B-52 strike on the location to obliterate that grid square along with the friendly FARC guerillas.

I was pretty happy to hear this and glad for the hostage's families. However, it also saddened me that there are about 750 hostages left. that was a staggering number.

nonetheless, kudos to the Columbian Armed Forces!
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Too bad one of the FARC terrorists didn't "slip" and fall out of the helicopter.

Actually I suspect he is busy blabbering at the mouth, if they released him, his buddies will make an example of him.

The Big Guys sargent as the plane lifted off ... "I know nothingggggggggg"
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

hostages,
    farc terrorists
    columbian forces
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Actually I suspect he is busy blabbering at the mouth, if they released him, his buddies will make an example of him.
    I bet you are right. He will either talk on his own or wish he was in Guantanamo being waterboarded with engine oil. There is no ACLU in Colombia.
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    Perhaps the BG's will go Helo surfing.

You know...tied to the skid and dragged though the ocean by Helicopter.

It only takes a couple of minutes and always seems to work well.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links