Do you ever talk about your combat experience?

This is a discussion on Do you ever talk about your combat experience? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on Natureboypkr's comment. "It's best to leave everything at the Sandbox."...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you ever talk about your combat experience?

B52
    +1 on Natureboypkr's comment. "It's best to leave everything at the Sandbox."

2. Remove Ads

I was a peacetime vet and all our battles were fought in bars,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yes--Beirut, and the Marine barracks bombing, that was my time. You must have been on ACB alert at the time.
    yeah, if i had a quarter for everytime we
    went on alert,well i'd have quite a few dollars.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

some of us civilians do get it and understand. I will never pump you for information, or ask you to talk about something that you don't want to. But if you want to talk, If you want someones sacrifice to be remembered I will listen, and I will remember. For those of you that don't want to, I understand. I wasn't there, I am unable to go, If I could I would, but it didn't work out (paralyzed in wreck after swearing in). If history is not passed down, people will never learn (not that everyone has that ability to learn). I drew the above as a tattoo. It is a part of me. Every day. Those that do come back bear a heavy burden. I will do everything I can to help carry that load. I feel that it is my responsibility as one who benefits from your protection and service to not let what you did be minimalised, ignored or forgotten. Too many of my generation don't understand what it is to put someone else before yourself, to think of the team as more important than the "I", to put your trust and life in the hands of the man on your left and right, and to be responsible for them at the same time.

to those willing to tell their story or a friends story thankyou, it will be a part of me for the rest of my life. To those unwilling or unable to talk, I'll still buy you a beer, and rest assured that I appreciate your service to our country.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Salute All
    Fknra Ive always considered anyone who has served my brothers and will never turn away a veteran or service member in need !! Some things are to personal but I will always talk about the military. as far as civilians and Imigrants for that matter, the problems I have had with them in this country is I cant see or understand the ones who would not Love this country with all they are or be willing to lay down there lives to defend another American or the Constitution. Fly the Flag at least on the 4th and also on veterans day and on Memorial day please set a plate and beer on the table for those who didnt make it back and when asked why tell them . dont hate or argue with fellow Americans who dont understand or even flag burners here try to educate them of the sacrifice .. its in your Dna if you are Americans they will understand.
    Thats why I enjoy this site so much as it is filled with Patriots served or not.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Best left unsaid.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

In my country we don't have a lot of war veterans. But I love to hear war stories. Although I never ask for it. If someone wants to tell you something they do.

But my experience is that the ones that talk a lot have very often not experiences anything. They exaggerate or tell stories that someone else told them.

I think that it is very interesting to read books about warstories. I only read non fiction books.

I have served in Kosovo in 1999-2000 and Liberia 2006. But thats just peacekeeping, not war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig sauer View Post
    ...But my experience is that the ones that talk a lot have very often not experiences anything. They exaggerate or tell stories that someone else told them...
    That's an astute observation, and true more often than not. Especially on the web.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

My Dad was a Korean War infantry vet, and he would only tell the "funny" stories to me and my brother while we were growing up, like the time he fell into a manure pit while on patrol in the dark, and had to walk back to his lines at the tail-end of the patrol... After I enlisted and did a tour in the Army in a tank battalion in Germany in the late 70's, he let me read his diary he kept in Korea - and there was very little humor in his year-plus in the 3rd Infantry in Korea...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

VIP Member
    Somethings are just too funny and not graphic and suitable
    as sea stories.
    So sometimes to the right person.

Never saw combat, but I know many who have and you can see it in their eyes "you don't want to know what I've seen!" so I don't ask.

I dated a girl who's Step Father was in Pleiku (I forget when) and he volunteered some funny stories about choppers needing to land when they have had their skids ripped off by trees, etc. and a few other stories that I never asked for and will never repeat.

I just salute those who have and those who never made it back, I wear a stainless steel bracelet with the name of a childhood buddy of mine who died in Afghanistan working EOD in '02 (I knew I would destroy the aluminum ones). I love it when people admire my bracelet and then they catch the words on it and I get to tell them of his sacrifice, I always end it with "he served so we didn't have to".
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    "Vast badt nuff beink dere mitoudt talkink aboudt idt."
    This may be the best thing I've ever read.

I talk about my experiences with those I think it may help, or enlighten. I still work with troops, and others who may go in harms way, so I see no reason to keep my insights (meager as they may be) to myself. I do not, however, talk about the "bad stuff" with friends and family who have never served and will (thankfully) never fully understand.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    I do not, however, talk about the "bad stuff" with friends and family who have never served and will (thankfully) never fully understand.
    Thats because there aint no point to it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I made the mistake of opening up to a boss who had given everyone the impression for 20 years that he was a former Marine. The guy was a fraud. Not only that he told people about some of the things I told him he also said that my PTSD was 'uncontroloble'. It cost me several jobs and some of the so called good ol boys who hadn't had the guts to put on a uniform and get on a hot LZ would epeat the stories. I actually went to a party where some turd was telling one of MY stories.
    I was livid and acosted him later and asked him who he heard them from, he replied that it was the best get laid story he had ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I made the mistake of opening up to a boss who had given everyone the impression for 20 years that he was a former Marine. The guy was a fraud. Not only that he told people about some of the things I told him he also said that my PTSD was 'uncontroloble'. It cost me several jobs and some of the so called good ol boys who hadn't had the guts to put on a uniform and get on a hot LZ would epeat the stories. I actually went to a party where some turd was telling one of MY stories.
    I was livid and acosted him later and asked him who he heard them from, he replied that it was the best get laid story he had ever heard.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. People who haven't seen nothing brags about other persons achievements or exaggerate their own stories. Those people make it more difficult for others, with real experiences, to tell their stories.

Either they think: well, you they wouldn't understand anyways, so why bother telling it.

or

They won't believe my stories anyway. I don't want people to think I'm a lier.

I often doesn't share my workstories with other persons outside the force. Like others already have said, they won't understand it anyway. It doesn't need to be a near death situation, it can be regular stories about an arrest or something. If you haven't experienced it, you are not even close to understand it, so why tell it.

When I got home from a tour in Kosovo and Liberia, people just wanted to know if I shot someone. Why bother telling them my stories if they just want to know if I killed someone. They are probably not interested in hearing my stories of people suffering, having nothing to eat, getting raped etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links