Scary Thought for the Day

Scary Thought for the Day

This is a discussion on Scary Thought for the Day within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to my IDPA match today (new pics in my gallery) and was having a Homeland Security discussion with the club President. Consider this idea: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Thought for the Day

Exclamation Scary Thought for the Day

Went to my IDPA match today (new pics in my gallery) and was having a Homeland Security discussion with the club President. Consider this idea:

Some estimations of potential numbers of terrorists currently on US soil number about 70,000 based on border patrol extrapolations on the number of non-Mexican nationalities they have been apprehending for the last ten years. About ten percent are Middle Eastern in origin and I'm sure that not ALL of them are terrorists, but think of the potentials. We see a lot of these as clerks in the local convience store or driving a cab.

Here's a low tech idea for a mass casualty attack. What if 50,000 terrorists are given the go code for a simultaneous strike.

What if 50,000 BG's on the same day and at the same time just stick a knife into somebody....anybody? And then melt into the landscape and do it all over again the next week. Imagine 50,000 murder reports from all over the country in one day! Double in a week, triple in another week and on and on. Reports from LEO's on the Texas/Mexican border say that terrorists are slipping into Central and South America to learn spanish and thus better blend in. One sheriff on WorldNetDaily today (http://www.wnd.com) said it's only a matter of time before one of them smuggles in a dirty bomb or an actual nuke....but if not what do you think of the above scenario?

The Prez is also our chief course designer. With an imagination like his you might be able to see why we refer to him as being of the Marquis de Sade school of course design... Sheeeeesh... you should SEE.... anyway......
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

def a scary thought

Administrator

Well, ExSoldier762

I am looking at France right now & can say (for sure) if that many "rioters" all decided to knife somebody (one a night) instead of just setting a car on fire...there would thousands dead in France right now.

So yes, it's a very possible scenario.
    It creates a very bad situation any time a whole bunch of "any people" all decide to go totally spazzo~crazy at the same time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    That is scary. I wonder what percentage would be caught each time?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've had similar lines of thought, myself. I've often wondered, what if a many small "cells" were activated at once, with orders to grab a minivan and do multiple home invasions in suburbia?
    Yet another reason to be armed 24/7. I refuse to be easy meat.
    I do feel as though we are overdue for something.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Assistant Administrator
    I do not in essence discount any theory - however extreme or seemingly far fetched. Complacency makes for bad defence.

So yes - this is a ''possible'', along with all the other potential ''possibles''. For those of us who are armed all the time - well, we would or should have a distinct ''edge'' but that would not in itself prevent the likely nation wide panic effects and disruption. That aspect would still come back and bite us.

We can but maintain our alertness and vigilance - but as Fjol' says - I too feel something is almost certain to occur. This of course is what terrorism seeks to achieve - the instilling of fear or doubt.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I predict that in between weeks two and three, there will be a shortage of rope for sale in the hardware stores....
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

That's a definite pants pooper.

I think it would put the economy into a tailspin.

All you can do is make sure you're prepared for any scenario.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...For those of us who are armed all the time - well, we would or should have a distinct ''edge''...".
    It may depend. It would seem, at least to me, that a mass knife attack would be most effectively defended by awareness and avoidence. For example, if the operating procedure is to innocently saunter up behind a victim and voliently attack, the attack would be over before most could defend themselves.

But, I really believe their best, most efficient weapon remains the "smart" bomb. I would think prime targets would be churches, malls, sporting events, including high school events, resturants, and schools. The suicide bomber seems to be the preferred operating mode right now, and it is super efficient killing - one of them and a dozen(s) or more victims along with severe property destruction. And bombs are very spectacular, shocking, and public.

Wink Suicide Bombers need explosives and skills....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    The suicide bomber seems to be the preferred operating mode right now, and it is super efficient killing - one of them and a dozen(s) or more victims along with severe property destruction. And bombs are very spectacular, shocking, and public.
    True, explosives would get the photo op, but it takes skill and training and a modicum of access to materials to build the bomb. Look at the husband wife team in Jordan. He detonated, but she failed to get hers to go off (she says). I seriously doubt that there are thousands of those wild eyed fanatics ready to blow themselves up to deliver another 911 on US soil. Already the number of martyrs available in Iraq or other M.E. countries is shrinking due to attrition.

But the knife attack...en masse... would deliver the blow. Another 911 in sheer numbers. I think would be the gift that keeps on giving as new rounds of victims would suffer thru the weeks. In a short time, each attacker will have amassed the same number of casualties his bomb attack would have gathered and the bonus is that he lives (maybe) to fight another day. I'll bet there's no shortage of folks who HATE us enough to kill us on our soil. But I don't think there's too many of the absolute martyrs here IMHO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    I'm only aware of one suicide bomb that hasn't worked. Look how many have.

It would also take a good deal of training to teach 50,000 people to kill effectively with a knife. Look at the training and prep needed to pull off 9/11

As for the materials, the terrorists could bring them with them as they sneak into the country or ship the materials via shipping containers.

Martyrs pulled off 9/11; why wouldn't they be here for future attacks?

My wife's concern is an organized "home-invasion" type of scenario. Not to say it couldn't happen, but not the highest cost/benefit ratio.

If you think what happened to Reginald Denny was bad, stick some women and children in TX, OK, KS, etc.. Burning mosques to the ground would be the start of the party..........

Wink Sheep die easily....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I'm only aware of one suicide bomb that hasn't worked. Look how many have.

It would also take a good deal of training to teach 50,000 people to kill effectively with a knife. Look at the training and prep needed to pull off 9/11

As for the materials, the terrorists could bring them with them as they sneak into the country or ship the materials via shipping containers.

Martyrs pulled off 9/11; why wouldn't they be here for future attacks?
    19 people pulled off 911. That's a far cry from what it would take to pull off the equivalent or better with suicide bombs. Assembling that many working man-packs (more difficult than a remotely placed explosive) is no small task.

It takes a lot of training to kill effectively with a knife when your target is prepared and facing you similarly armed. A classic "knife fight." It also takes a lot of training and a lot more mental preparation to survive such an attack even in an inherently nonlethal wound. That's where this country comes up short. We don't teach the populace a survival mindset. Because of this, many nonlethal wounds become killers because the victim just gives up. Ask any E.R. doctor about victims who lived thru horiffic traumas or terrible diseases because they were fighters. They never gave up. But those folks are increasingly the exception in this civilized world in which we live. Our society is composed of sheep.

That's one reason New Orleans descended into the law of the jungle after the hurricane, folks weren't prepared and were bleating sheep begging for government help...and falling prey to the two legged Jackals who took advantage of the absence of law & order.

The average Joe Schmo citizen is going to go into shock and die when he realizes he's been wounded, rather than automatically take action to survive. We are lacking the pioneer spirit of our forefathers.

It's our own fault. We say to people: Nothing is worth dying for. Submit and call the police...don't fight back....Better to be a live sheep than a dead lion.... Then we act all outraged when a Jackal takes this attitude as the ringing of the dinner bell. I'd rather be a live lion. Jackals leave lions alone.

But for this scenario, the sheep outnumber the lions and they will just give up at the trauma associated with the personal violation of a knife attack. It's so much more personal and frightening than a gunshot. Your attacker is right next to you, and taking personalized direct action to end your life, and worse, you might not even see it coming. No opportunity to get "set." No opportunity to get that split second of mental preparation necessary for the body to activate the endorphins and the adrenalin needed to survive.

now lets get really scary, 50,000 bombs planted in advance and all detonated with a cell phone on the 4th of July or New Years eve. Bombs can be made from things found in the kitchen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links