Defensive Carry banner

Florida LEO's - Am I too old to join the force?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  chester1006 
#1 ·
Might have a couple of chances to start a LEO career. FHP is apparently hurting for officers and are actively advertising for new recruits. Seems as if the requirements have been laxed a bit from what I remember reading last year.

Also, have an insider from a Department across the border into Georgia who clued me in that a small PD is hiring officers. I have a close friend who is already LEO for a small Georgia town as well.

In both cases, they will pay for my academy. FHP pays a lot better than the small Georgia town PD does.

My questions are:

- I just turned 45. Am I too old to get hired even though they do not age discriminate openly?

- I am former military with honorable discharge. Does this help?

- I have tons of college credits but no finished degree. I am about three classes from a degree (A.S. Degree or possibly an A.A. Degree). I didnt want to go back to school if I didnt have too. Will my current hours suffice?

- What kind of physical fitness will be necessary? I am definitely out of shape but not nearly obese.

Anything you would offer me for advice now that you have hindsight?

See less See more
#2 ·
No, you are not too old, and may have the maturity to do the job right.

Too many of today's young kids are what I call Robo-Rambo. Your education and military discharge may help you and it certainly won't hurt you. I would try to finish it and get a degree, or at least be working on it when you are applying as it shows the ability to complete a task and the ability to learn. Both of those things are critical.

As far as the physical ability stuff, get cleared by your physician and then start running, push-ups and sit-ups.

Biker :palmier:

#4 ·
I have seen the requirements lowered in Dallas as well. I guess they (the infamous they) are finally realizing that low pay, long hours and the chance to get shot is not working for everyone. But instead of fixing the problem they are lowering the standards. Now with that said, I agree with BikerRN that in your case it you may very well be a perfect fit and simply because of age were previously eleminated.

If you can get in, do it. We need more good men/women on the various LE agencies and less of the Robo-Rambo as indicated before.

#5 ·
Nope, a lot of agencies prefer older candidates because they are more settled in life and are not as nearly as likely to get themselves into trouble with the new found power and responsibility.

#7 ·
Heh, that's what I was told as well. Specifically (me being young), I was told to go ahead and finish my 4-year degree, take it in something not related to law enforcement because they'll teach me what I need to know), and live a little. Chances are if I wait until mid-20s I'm much more desirable as a new hire than I would be right now fresh out of the academy. I was also told military experience helps tremendously, but to date I can't claim such experience.

-B

#8 ·
I'm a young'un. I've applied four times to the same department and have failed the interview three times. I am told that I am unofficially too young.

On 18 July is my would-be-fourth test. However, I believe that I am being called by my L-rd to do something different and am about to pursue it, beginning on that same date. I thank G-d I ain't what I almost was.

#11 ·
Sixto I agree, I am turning 29 the end of July and have just finished filling out the St. Pete police application. I have all the childish behavior out of my system, received my aas degree in business and having a ccw has matured me even more. I am ready to hopefully start a LE career in my new home of Tampa. I do need to start training for the opstacle course though.

#12 ·
I don't know fellas(ladies)... I'm not 21 anymore, but I'm also not that much older than that (25). I still act a little childish (not in a bad way, more with my son than anything) and I'm right on the verge of getting hired by my local PD. All I have left is to meet with the psychologist and a medical screening. The HR dude is telling me that based on what he's seen of me throughout the rest of the process I shouldn't have anything to worry about with the psych screening and I know that I don't have to worry about the medical. There were 145 candidates to start out with, they've been through the first 45 or so, and I'm one of two that are currently eligibile to go to the IL Police Training Institute thus far. I am not what one would call s--t hot and I don't know anyone on the dept. I guess all I'm saying is that from my very limited experience, it depends on the department and/or their current needs.

Also, I don't know about others, but IL's typical age requirements for being hired (entry level or lateral) is 21-34. There are a couple that go up to 36, but not many.

#13 ·
I say....go for it!
thats coming from a 36 year old that just started local PD academy last month
out of our class of 26 we have the following ages:
2x 38
2x 36
2x 35
trickles on down after that
the PT is tough for some but all they ask is that you work hard and give it all you've got

bottom line......if its what you really want to do then DO IT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.