Marine Corps picture thread - Page 3

Marine Corps picture thread

This is a discussion on Marine Corps picture thread within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Paco Um, wow! I have never seen someone like that in uniform, that must be a Photoshop job. (I hope) Nope, doesn't ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Um, wow! I have never seen someone like that in uniform, that must be a Photoshop job.

(I hope)
    Nope, doesn't have to be a photoshop job, I've seen some bad ones. Right now the only pics I have are of Training areas (and no one ever wants to see 29 stumps again).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Nope, doesn't have to be a photoshop job, I've seen some bad ones. Right now the only pics I have are of Training areas (and no one ever wants to see 29 stumps again).

Hey, hey, hey.........You're talking bad about my first duty station, back in the early '80's. I spent 3 years out there, back when the closest McDonalds was down in Yucca Valley! I'm guessing it's grown up a little since then.

Lots 'o days and nights on a tank out in that desert........ Ah, the memories......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Actually, terrain wise, I put Pohakalua Training area worse than 29 palms, its just the heat at the stumps. I don't know how bad it was bad then, but now they have like 3-4 fast food joints on mainside.

Short drive to some cool places though, if you get part that whole Charles Manson desert cult stuff.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Um, wow! I have never seen someone like that in uniform, that must be a Photoshop job.

(I hope)
    It could just be someone in basic training. Not sure of the Army regulations for weight during basic. That said, I was considered for 1/2 rations during my initial time at boot camp( I am 5'10 and weighed 175-180lbs at that time) because I had the college beer gut. When I left MCRD San Diego, I weighed from 150-155lbs. First words out of my dad's mouth in seeing me at the airport were "You are too skinny"
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member

DaNang

A little PI for you

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    You shouldn't have said that, I have LOTS of pictures of The Stumps to post once I scan them.

9 months of Com. School, a CAX here and there, and the fact that 1st LAR basically lived there....

OH HOW I HATE THAT PLACE!

The only good view of 29 is in the rear view mirror...

Actually, my pic in post #3 was taken in 29 Palms in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    It could just be someone in basic training.
    Man, what duty station would let him on, unless he was in the "fat farm". We had to do 20 correct push ups to even make it out of reception to go to Basic, I doubt this kid could.

I think I was the heaviest guy in my company, at 18, 72", 210 Lbs, they had to tape me to see if I was obese. Never mind that I was a sprinter who also threw shotput and discus, back went to a "V" from shoulders to my 32" waist and I could squat 350 Lbs free form all day.

I guess this must be a recent picture, he would have never made it in to Ft. Leonard Wood like that back in the 90's.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Me back in 1991....

...at Parris Island as permanent personnel (HQ Battalion, Service Company), but it seems like yesterday....
    But my waist is still the same size! Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine!!

Semper Fi, fellow Devil Dogs!!

(I'm sporting the same haircut in the other pic, but my uniform is even more old-school that Marine Dress Blues... Now you all know where I get my handle from...)
    Attached Images
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You shouldn't have said that, I have LOTS of pictures of The Stumps to post once I scan them.

9 months of Com. School, a CAX here and there, and the fact that 1st LAR basically lived there....

OH HOW I HATE THAT PLACE!

The only good view of 29 is in the rear view mirror...

Actually, my pic in post #3 was taken in 29 Palms in 2000.

Ah come on......where else can you have this kind of fun?!

These are in '84ish....

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Ah come on......where else can you have this kind of fun?!
    You've obviously never had to stay on the net with Bearmat watching a Desert Tortoise sit in the road....

...for 3 hours.

Some ditz actually asked me if the Tortoise looked scared.

You've obviously never had to stay on the net with Bearmat watching a Desert Tortoise sit in the road....

...for 3 hours.

LOL......you just reminded me......true story.

For those that don't know, the desert tortoise is protected. Screwing with a desert tortoise in any way , even by accident, will get you in all kinds of trouble.

I was a new 2d Lt assigned to 3d Platoon, C Company, 3d Tanks. Just getting my feet wet and trying to keep a low profile, when I get called into the Bn CO's office. He's in there with the Bn XO, Company Commander and some WM captain I've never seen before (not a lot of WM's out in the stumps back in '84 anyways). There's a cardboard box sitting on the CO's desk, and none of them look very happy........... At this point I'm thinking, "this isn't gonna be a good thing......"

The CO introduces the WM as the base environmental officer. Then he reaches into the box and pulls out, you guessed it, a desert tortoise. On the back of of the tortoise, was PAINTED, "Desert Shield '84. Charlie 3 Tanks. Ooooh Raah!"

I didn't even get any credit for the esprit de corps of my platoon.....

You just can't make up stuff like that.......

Theodore Roosevelt

JD
    Administrator

...for 3 hours.

I had that pleasure, not so cool. On the plus side they are constantly evolving the training there to evolve with the current war. How about Range 400, or 410A, any of you guys remember those beauties?

Anyone besides 3RDMARDIV ever have to go to PTA, if not, you are lucky.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links