Marine Corps picture thread

This is a discussion on Marine Corps picture thread within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Marine Corps picture thread

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

That's always been one of my favorite quotes. I couldn't find any good pics, because I never left San Diego for the 8 years I was in. Here's some more quotes.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

2. Remove Ads

Picture pretty much sums it up.
    Attached Images
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I heard this story. Could be an urban legend. Maybe someone can verify it.

Apparently, there was a Marine class graduating from boot camp. Everyone was in their dress uniforms. The ceremony was being held outside in the rain.

After all the speeches and fanfare, the sergeant took the podium and yelled out, "YOU THINK YOU ARE MARINES. YOU AIN'T MARINES.....HIT THE DECK."

At which point, the entire class dropped, in their dress uniforms, onto the muddy ground.

The sergeant smiled and said, "NOW, you are Marines."
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; July 14th, 2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Correct spelling ala buckeyeLCPL
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit. The ceremony where you earn the right to the title has changed over the years, but the meaning has always been the same. I was a Marine (always capitalize the M unless you are talking about like marine wildlife of the pacific), for a whole week before graduating boot camp.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Picture pretty much sums it up.
    That's so frichen Kill. Makes me want to join again. Adrenaline rush right before bed from that one.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Yeah Agave, that picture says a lot of things a lot better than I ever could. Most Marines I know who have recently gotten out or are about to say that if we went to war with either Iran or N Korea (conventional wars that would no doubt be brutal), they would join in an instant. I think that says a lot about them, especially since the vast majority have done two combat tours, often times in two different combat zones.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    1stSgt. Bradley Kasal (now Sergeant Major), a hard charging devil dog if there ever was one! Recipient of the Navy Cross for heroic actions and selfless sacrifice in Fallujah, Iraq on 13 Nov 04.

(Notice: 7 gunshot wounds (7.62mm AK-47), 40 pieces of grenade shrapnel, the last man out, and he is still clutching his pistol... finger off the trigger! Marine Corps leadership training at it's best!)
    All I can say is WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why? Probably because they are a really good school that wants to remain as a really good school.

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    There's a handful of them that don't take federal funds. The one in question is Hillsdale College in Michigan, which is the only (I believe) that doesn't take state or federal funds (Grove City, Patrick Henry, and I think just one other don't take any federal funds).

SIXTO is pretty much on the money. Hillsdale has far more autonomy than any other school in the nation (at least from the gov't; we do, of course, have responsibilities to our donors), and I think that's reflected by the nature of the school. Outside of the military academies, we're also the only school in the nation that requires a course on the US Constitution to graduate.

The move to independence was a response to government pressure in the 1970's to alter our admissions and athletic policies. The school was offended by the implication of racism, as we were the first school in the nation (in 1848) to explicitly state in its charter that we accepted students without regard to race, religion, creed, or gender.

In any case, the school told the government to butt out and has been far better off ever since.
    Makes sense. That way they can play by their own rules. I get IMPRIMUS from them every month per recommendation by Sean Hannity. Good people.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Yeah Agave, that picture says a lot of things a lot better than I ever could. Most Marines I know who have recently gotten out or are about to say that if we went to war with either Iran or N Korea (conventional wars that would no doubt be brutal), they would join in an instant. I think that says a lot about them, especially since the vast majority have done two combat tours, often times in two different combat zones.
    Yep. My friend Aaron never had any intention of making a career in the Marines; he's going to graduate school in biotechnology in the fall. However, he wanted to serve his country, which he did, and get training so that if the STHF in a big way, he would be prepared to join back up in a heartbeat. He's a big reason why a relatively large number of Hillsdale students have recently taken or are taking the Platoon Leader's Class.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Heres to not only the USMC that put themselves in harms way so we can have a sense of safety,but all the other armed forces that keep us safe from those that wish us dead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links