Defensive Carry banner

Just a little embarassing

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  hogdaddy 
#1 ·
Dallas police find cocaine in car used by officers - Yahoo! News

DALLAS - Police didn't have to go far to find $400,000 worth of cocaine — it was in an undercover car they'd been driving for two months.
ADVERTISEMENT

An officer cleaning the car at a patrol station Wednesday discovered the nearly 50 pounds of cocaine carefully hidden in hydraulically controlled compartments.

"These compartments have recently been more and more popular with drug operations," said Deputy Chief Julian Bernal, commander of the narcotics division.

Dallas police put the two-door 2004 black Infiniti into police service on May 7 after seizing it at a drug house. It had been found at a drug house earlier this year along with a 1999 Honda.

Bernal said the narcotics division searched both the vehicles and found nothing unusual after the seizure. The Honda was sold at auction.

Bernal said police plan to contact the person who bought the Honda to find out if drugs are hidden in that car, too. And, they are also trying to find out who owned the cocaine they have been secretly driving around with.

Oops.

#5 ·
Yah,

I wasn't naive enough to think it didn't happen. I just assumed std procedure would be to run a dog through a car seized from a drug house.

#10 ·
Around here the LEOs will have a dog check out a POV for you and encourage you to do so when buying a used vehicle.:hand10:

#6 ·
Ahh, but a dog would not have done much good at all in this situation. The dog would have "hit" on the car either way, as we know this was a doper's car and there would have been tons of residual oder with or with out the larger amount of drugs hidden in the car.
Dogs are a great tool, but they do have their limitations.

#7 ·
Ahhh

#8 ·
Even if they find possible owner of drugs they would have the impossible task of proving ownership since the vehicle was out of their immediate control for such a long period of time

#12 ·
They actually had a case here in South Texas where somebody bought a car from a police auction and after they bought it during a traffic stop an LEO spotted something and they found drugs in a hidden compartment,the new owner was shocked and the car had been sized from a drug raid.They now encourage people to get any car they buy even used off a car lot to get checked for contraband,lots of drug trafficking down here

#13 ·
This is just one of the reasons i refuse to give anyone permission to search my vehicle.
I used to argue this with a good friend of mine. He buys cars and fixes them up as a sideline. He mentioned to me how a while back he was searched at one of the random drug stops on a popular drug route. When I told him that I wouldn't allow my car to be searched he told me he

This is just one of the reasons i refuse to give anyone permission to search my vehicle.
I used to argue this with a good friend of mine. He buys cars and fixes them up as a sideline. He mentioned to me how a while back he was searched at one of the random drug stops on a popular drug route. When I told him that I wouldn't allow my car to be searched he told me he was proud to be of help to them.
I asked him what he would do if the dog hit on some drugs that the previous owner might have left in the car?
He told me that he would just explain that to the officers and they would let him go because the drugs were not his,:rofl:

Michael

#14 ·
So, for our LE, I have a question...if the Honda does have drugs in it, and the new owner was pulled over, say, a few months ago...what are the odds the new owner would have of convincing the police that 'that isn't mine' or 'I didn't know it was there'?

Seems to me, just about every drug trafficer who has ever been caught has claimed they didn't know the drugs were there.

#15 ·
Yeah... the new owner would have a tough road to hoe, hopefully a paper trail about the cars origins and other evidence would likely leave a reasonable doubt in the jury's minds, but thats not a position I would want to be in.

#17 ·
Go to any police station that has a drug dog and they will be happy to have the dog go over it. Like sixto said it's good training for the dogs. You may have to set up an appointment for when the dog and handler are available.

I have had every car I have ever owned checked with dogs, and even my house when I bought it. When you buy a house or car you don't know its history. I'm sure everyone has seen the dulley pickup hooked to a small car hauler with used cars in tow rolling down the interstate. These have become very popular with drug dealers for transporting drugs, they hide them in one of the cars being towed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.