Cheap home alarms - Page 2

Cheap home alarms

This is a discussion on Cheap home alarms within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mine does the same thing, and I never have had a false alarm with her....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap home alarms

Mine does the same thing, and I never have had a false alarm with her.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Duk, the problems will show up in a year or two, if they do show up. Those reeds tend to magnetize and hold closed even when the magnet is gone.

No alarm system is any better than it's installation. Expensive, cheap, no matter. Figure out how to put it together and you got it made. Screw up and it's a waste of time.

I favor yippity dogs in the house. Dogs in the yard are too vulnerable to poison dog treats, or suppressed firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Duk, the problems will show up in a year or two, if they do show up. Those reeds tend to magnetize and hold closed even when the magnet is gone.

No alarm system is any better than it's installation. Expensive, cheap, no matter. Figure out how to put it together and you got it made. Screw up and it's a waste of time.

I favor yippity dogs in the house. Dogs in the yard are too vulnerable to poison dog treats, or suppressed firearms.
    I agree anything mechanical I never put 100% faith in,but they are a temporary method to alert me to somebody sneaking in my perimeter,then again I guess I could set up IR beam sensors that any disruption will trip an alarm inside where the BG don't even know the storm he's about to walk into
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I jave a full monitored security system at my home in FL, but up here I am renting so that is not an option. I purchased similar units as the ones at Harbor Freight. I bought them at Home Depot, but think they are the same as the ones I've seen at Harbor Freight for less $. I bought one for all of the doors and windows and have used them in two rental houses so far.

They will make a lot of noise when opened. I have had my daughter and wife set them off a few times by accident.

The main drawback is the cheap two sided tape they use will not stick well for long. I had a few fall off the window and alarm. One in the middle of the night, which was a bit tense.

I recommend going to an autoparts store and getting some good 3M brand two sided tape. This is what they use to put moldings on cars. It's the best and won't come off. When we moved I had to cut the 3M tape by sliding my knife blade behind the alarm to get them loose.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links